You never want to be the "But First" story. (HS Diploma Denied)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
It is amazing just how distorted a story can get when it hits the news and turns into a national story.
Popular senior denied diploma because of too much cheering

You may have heard about a Cincinnati Area kid who was denied his diploma because his fans cheered him as he was presented his diploma cover. THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED!

Of course, you have to read beyond the first paragraph to know that Anthony Cornist's diploma (and 3 other students from his graduating class) is being held until he (and the other three students) does 20 hours of community service for the school district because of EXCESSIVE cheering. The clip in the linked news story showing the video (without permission from me, my company or the school we were contracted to do this for) only shows Cornist. But when it came to every other student, their fans/parents cheered to the point where the student got to shake hands with the principal. At that point the next name is read. The issue was the length of the cheering and people not having any respect for the other 300 students in the class waiting to hear their name called.

The other fact that is overlooked is that parents SIGNED A CONTRACT IN ORDER TO GET THEIR TICKETS to the graduation explaining in plain simple English (large letters too) that if parents or fans of the student disrupted the roll call, it would be the student who would have to suffer the consequences. The same notice came to them in the envelope with the tickets. It was not a surprise.

There is cheering, and then there is being an inconsiderate JERK! By the time this story make it to ABC News, they had twisted it to seem as if Mt. Healthy did not allow cheering at all! That was definitely not the case! By contrast, another graduation I did has a zero tolerance policy on cheering during the roll call. And everyone followed it this year. A class twice the size as Mt. Healthy's was read off in the same amount of time. Much more civilized (Northwest)

As some one who does on average 12 graduations a year I can tell you that I like schools that allow cheering for a few seconds per student, but what happens as the list gets deeper into the alphabet, the cheers get longer and louder and more disruptive as every group wants to out do the next.

TNGTony said:
It is amazing just how distorted a story can get when it hits the news and turns into a national story.
Popular senior denied diploma because of too much cheering

You may have heard about a Cincinnati Area kid who was denied his diploma because his fans cheered him as he was presented his diploma cover. THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED!

Of course, you have to read beyond the first paragraph to know that Anthony Cornist's diploma (and 3 other students from his graduating class) is being held until he (and the other three students) does 20 hours of community service for the school district because of EXCESSIVE cheering. The clip in the linked news story showing the video (without permission from me, my company or the school we were contracted to do this for) only shows Cornist. But when it came to every other student, their fans/parents cheered to the point where the student got to shake hands with the principal. At that point the next name is read. The issue was the length of the cheering and people not having any respect for the other 300 students in the class waiting to hear their name called.

The other fact that is overlooked is that parents SIGNED A CONTRACT IN ORDER TO GET THEIR TICKETS to the graduation explaining in plain simple English (large letters too) that if parents or fans of the student disrupted the roll call, it would be the student who would have to suffer the consequences. The same notice came to them in the envelope with the tickets. It was not a surprise.

There is cheering, and then there is being an inconsiderate JERK! By the time this story make it to ABC News, they had twisted it to seem as if Mt. Healthy did not allow cheering at all! That was definitely not the case! By contrast, another graduation I did has a zero tolerance policy on cheering during the roll call. And everyone followed it this year. A class twice the size as Mt. Healthy's was read off in the same amount of time. Much more civilized (Northwest)

As some one who does on average 12 graduations a year I can tell you that I like schools that allow cheering for a few seconds per student, but what happens as the list gets deeper into the alphabet, the cheers get longer and louder and more disruptive as every group wants to out do the next.

Last time I checked, someone couldn't be harmed because of a contract someone else signed. So unless the student also signed the contract for the tickets and agreed to "suffer the consequences" that'll never fly. You can enter into a contract for the benefit of a third party, but you're not able to enforce a contract to the detriment of a third party to a contract. Also, if the contract was phrased as vaguely as suffer the consequences, that probably wouldn't fly either.

Other than that, I have no opinion on the situation.

Another thought: what if the cheering is not from a students guests? I could see high school students organizing a "prank" on one of the least popular members of the class and getting them stuck with community service. Granted, I don't think that's likely, but it does add a level of difficulty to enforceability of something like this (assuming it is even lawful to begin with).

This is not a new policy and it has been "challenged" in court and stood up locally. The students (if over 18) DID sign the contract (if under 18 signed a letter of understanding with parent's/legal guardian's countersignature) to be allowed to "walk". Otherwise they would not be allowed to attend. As to the pranking, it happened at one other graduation two years ago at a different district. School administrators aren't as stupid as they seem. That student was not punished, but at least two of the prankers (who were underclassmen) found themselves doing some school renovations over the summer.

Why should someone else suffer for the actions of others? If I rob a bank by myself, why should my wife go to jail?

What would of happened if one of the graduates had to leave for boot camp the day following his graduation? Would he have to do his community service before leaving or go to boot camp, then do community service when he returns, possibly delaying his deployment?

It's graduation, a time to celebrate a big accomplishment. For some, this is the biggest accomplishment they will ever have. Others will go on to bigger, better things. And some do not even graduate. Cheer the good times because you don't know when or if you will get to cheer again.

TNGTony said:
This is not a new policy and it has been "challenged" in court and stood up locally. The students (if over 18) DID sign the contract (if under 18 signed a letter of understanding with parent's/legal guardian's countersignature) to be allowed to "walk". Otherwise they would not be allowed to attend. As to the pranking, it happened at one other graduation two years ago at a different district. School administrators aren't as stupid as they seem. That student was not punished, but at least two of the prankers (who were underclassmen) found themselves doing some school renovations over the summer.

That addresses my main concerns. I would imagine that the administrators know enough to avoid a situation where such a contract is void for vagueness.

Last time I checked, someone couldn't be harmed...
To clarify the situation further, all that he is "denied" is the piece of paper. He DID graduate. His records/transcripts WILL be provided to any educational entity that requests them.

If the Mt Healthy school district hasn't already done so, I bet they'll just give it to him. They'd rather there be no drama or big deal made of this. In the days following this "news", the school's principal, superintendant, etc indicated that neither Anthony nor his parents had contacted them, so how did this become a news story ? Oh wait, his mom contacted a local TV station to "solve" this !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)