using voom off air antenna with directv h10

Status
Please reply by conversation.
acpmadness said:
I'm having a lot of trouble also, got 1 HD local with Voom and can't get it now with D* H10. I even got a CM 4228 and only got 10% on the station. With Voom I got 86% on that same one with the winegard OTA antenna voom comes with. I've tried just about everything other than buying a good pre-amp.

Yea that blew my mind... I went out and tryed all kinds of different MEGA HUGE antennas with 80 mile ratings etc... and all the channels were weaker on them then the lower rated Winegard... strange.

Alvarez said:
thank you... its the ps9370 :)
Did anyone pick this up that can report the results?

My signal strength went from 90+ on all stations with the Voom receiver to the 60s and 70s with my new D* receiver. I also don't even pick up all of the channels that I did with the Voom receiver. I went from 20+ channels to 6.

I'm more than willing to pick up the power supply if it will take care of these signal issues. Just wondering if anyone can report success going this route before I place an order?

scottie_h said:
Did anyone pick this up that can report the results?

My signal strength went from 90+ on all stations with the Voom receiver to the 60s and 70s with my new D* receiver. I also don't even pick up all of the channels that I did with the Voom receiver. I went from 20+ channels to 6.

I'm more than willing to pick up the power supply if it will take care of these signal issues. Just wondering if anyone can report success going this route before I place an order?

I haven't picked it up yet the show I wanted to watch on WB HD had its finale and I haven't rushed to get one... I will report the results if you don't beat me to it..

Report back on this thread so I can know if you beat me and I will do the same so you know if I beat you to getting it.

Mine is a Dish Network setup, but the concept is the same. I have my Voom antenna running directly into a VideoPath Power Inserter DP444 provided by my installer (at no charge). Coax runs from there to the antenna port on the back of my 942. Works great. The same setup also works with my old Voom box without a diplexer.

My signal numbers are lower than they were with Voom, which is particularly odd since E* uses a 0/125 signal strength scale, rather than 0/100, but I suspect it's just a calibration issue because I still get all the same channels, including some from San Jose, about 50 miles away.

(My installer didn't set things up right; had the antenna running into the switch and diplexed into a sat line; don't know why, but his config didn't work at all. Took me 5 minutes to undo it and get it working.)

using voom off air antenna with directv h10 - POWER SUPPLY UPDATE!

Alvarez said:
Report back on this thread so I can know if you beat me and I will do the same so you know if I beat you to getting it.
Well, I gave up on everyone else - I got my Tivo $50 rebate, and decided it was a perfect way to spend it on the power supply discussed above.

My scenario was this - when I had Voom, even though I am about 45-50 miles from the towers, and only have the 'basic' antenna, I typically had 90+ signal strength on the major networks. When I got DirecTV installed, that signal strength was in the 60s, and I lost quite a few channels.

I called Winegard last Friday afternoon, asking if it was possible to order parts directly from them. They told me it depended what it was, etc. I told them I was looking for a power supply, and she immediately said, 'the PS-9370?' I told her that is indeed what I was looking for, and she gave me the phone number to the supplier for my area. I called Swiden Distributing in South Dakota, and placed my order. Again this was Friday afternoon, and I received it today, Monday. Total was $36.45 after shipping.

I am happy to report the following results by doing nothing other than running the existing cabling through the power supply (this formatting might be ugly, but it will get the point across):

CHANNEL BEFORE AFTER
PBS 2-1 63% 100%
CBS 4-1 77% 100%
ABC 5-1 DID NOT SCAN 93%
ABC 5-2 DID NOT SCAN 93%
FOX 9-1 69% 93%
FOX 9-2 69% 93%
NBC 11-1 63% 93%
NBC 11-2 63% 93%
PBS 17-1 DID NOT SCAN 86%
PBS 17-2 DID NOT SCAN 86%
PBS 17-3 DID NOT SCAN 86%
PBS 17-4 DID NOT SCAN 86%
PBS 17-5 DID NOT SCAN 86%
WB 23-1 DID NOT SCAN 69%
UPN 29-1 DID NOT SCAN 93%
UPN 29-2 DID NOT SCAN 93%
PAX 41-1 45% 93%
PAX 41-2 45% 93%
PAX 41-3 45% 93%
PAX 41-4 45% 93%
IND 45-1 DID NOT SCAN 93%

Moral of the story - if you lost significant signal strength using your Voom antenna with a DirecTV receiver, get your butt on the phone and order the damn power supply! :)

Last edited:
Wow, this thread is still alive!

Anyway, to update my situation, I got my Voom Winegard antenna working without having to buy a power supply. All I did was connect a single power pass splitter with the powerpass input of the splitter connected on the SAT output of the reciever. Then I connected an all power pass diplexer to both the dish & the antenna. Now, I'm getting 90+% on almost all channels compared to before with barely 45% on everything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.