using voom off air antenna with directv h10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jolibee

Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Hello everybody,
Is it possible to get my off-air voom antenna (a winegard gs2000) to work with my directv h10 reciever?

Right now, I have the satellite and antenna connected to a diplexer/combiner which then goes into my house and the signal is split back into the SAT and ANT inputs of the reciever.

I found out that my splitters dont pass power on the antenna line and i believe the gs2000 needs power to work. Which splitter do I need to get this to work? And can the H10 reciever provide power to my off air antenna and dish at the same time?

Thanks

That splitter only passes power on 1 output. Both the satellite dish and my antenna needs power so I figure I'd need a splitter with power pass thru on both outputs.

I guess my main concern is if the H10 reciever can provide power to both the dish and the antenna.

I use my OTA antenna from voom... (winegard) and it works great... you must hook up a diplexer on the end of the satellite and on the end of the dish I use a splitter OTA combiner. it passes the power from the receiver over to the OTA antenna so it can remain amped. (the voom boxes have diplexers attached to the box, the D* boxes don't)

I had lots of problems at first because I didn't use a diplexer on both ends and it wasn't amping the antenna. When I hooked the diplexer up on both sides it still didn't work. However when I used the splitter/ota combiner voom left behind it worked perfect and amped the antenna.

Mark Kays said:
I just hooked the coaxial input from Voom into my Samsung ST360 and it works great.
You probably have a non amplified antenna if it is working off a TS-360. Not all the antennas used in VOOM installations were amplified. A Winegard GS-1000 is a non amplified version of the GS-2000, the only visual difference is the word amplified on the antenna label. Non amplified antennas were used in close proximity to the broadcast towers probably 20 miles or less. For the GS-2000 Winegard makes a power supply that you can buy to replace the VOOM receiver as the source of power. :)

boba said:
You probably have a non amplified antenna if it is working off a TS-360. Not all the antennas used in VOOM installations were amplified. A Winegard GS-1000 is a non amplified version of the GS-2000, the only visual difference is the word amplified on the antenna label. Non amplified antennas were used in close proximity to the broadcast towers probably 20 miles or less. For the GS-2000 Winegard makes a power supply that you can buy to replace the VOOM receiver as the source of power. :)

I have noticed my Voom receiver picked up further channels off the OTA antenna. My Hughes receiver doesn't amp it as much I don't think. You think the amp for the Antenna will bring back those channels further away?

Alvarez said:
I have noticed my Voom receiver picked up further channels off the OTA antenna. My Hughes receiver doesn't amp it as much I don't think. You think the amp for the Antenna will bring back those channels further away?
Your Hughes receiver dosen't amplify the signal at all it just processes what ever signal it receives from the antenna. :)

Well some might remember my thread back a bit ago where I went through 4 OTA antennas (HUGE antennas) all were non amplified but most were supposed to pick up stations from 60 miles away etc... NONE could pick up WB 4-1. My Voom receiver when it powered the Winegard antenna picked up 4-1.

This would explain alot if it isn't powering it... However when I didn't run the Diplexer on both ends it could barely pick up anything... I was told then that the receiver would power it if I used Diplexers... when I hooked a diplexer up to it... voila it worked.

here is the thread I made awhile ago about it... http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=60376&highlight=antenna

This must mean you have a fairly long lead from the antenna or a lot of connectors between the antenna and your receiver.

The amplifier only really compensates for the signal degrading in the line it does not improve signal to noise ratios which is what you really want. (all amplifiers inject noise)

The lead is really pretty short from the OTA antenna to the receiver. The only connector between them is a mixer splitter that Voom supplied. It accepts the leads from the Sattelite and the OTA antenna and splits it to 4 rooms and mixes in the OTA antenna signal.

With the Voom receiver it worked great, when I plugged it into the D* hughes receiver diplexed it worked still but not as strong as before.

Any ideas from anyone on how I power the Winegard antenna? What all do I need? just the Power Supply or do I need the preamp? or is that built in to the antenna?

I have this antenna. The preamp is within the antenna housing, and is powered by the power supply.

If it's like mine, it's got a little while "amplified" sticker on the middle of it.

Yes mine has the amiplified sticker as well... my question is... what power supply do I need to buy to power the amplifier if in fact the hughes receiver isnt powering it.

I'm having a lot of trouble also, got 1 HD local with Voom and can't get it now with D* H10. I even got a CM 4228 and only got 10% on the station. With Voom I got 86% on that same one with the winegard OTA antenna voom comes with. I've tried just about everything other than buying a good pre-amp.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)