Using Wireless vs Non for hooking up Internet Connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jaybird28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Seattle
I have my house on a Netgear Router for our laptops and want to hook-up two HDDVR's so I can use On-Demand. The signal in the upstairs bedroom is pretty weak. Should I pass on the wireless box and install the plug in the wall units instead? My concern is that if I use the plug in units, is my 16 year old house wired for Ethernet???

I assume you are talking about the power line ethernet adapters. I'll let others talk about the pros and cons of using these units.

I'd personally run cat5e cable to the HD DVR's location.

I have heard the power line ethernet adapters work pretty well. I have not used them, because of the high price. I think it's cheaper to run Cat5e to the HDDVR's like what I have done. Also having your HD DVR's hard wired is more reliable and is a lot faster than wireless or any other method.

I highly recommend hardwired!!!

JD-
I'd personally run cat5e cable to the HD DVR's location
Can you explain further for a non-techy

I'm using the Directv powerline units (in my 35-year-old house). They work fine for On Demand and Media Share audio. Some Media Share/Directv2PC/MRV video works fairly well; some doesn't and I'll eventually install some Cat5e or Cat6.

Hardwired is when a cable physically plugs into your router and the other end, into the DVR. Best method is a wall outlet at the router and then another at the DVR, both plugged in via patch cables. You'll need a electrician or network person to fish the cables. If you go this rroute (best signal, most stable) think about any other hardwiring you might want and get it done at the same time.

Also the Cat 5 cables are really cheap. A 100' cable is only about $8 from monoprice. If you only need 50' then it's about $4.50.

On Demand question if I have three DVR boxes do I run one powerline from router to Outlet and three from outlet to DVR's CAn it handle more than one??

On Demand question if I have three DVR boxes do I run one powerline from router to Outlet and three from outlet to DVR's CAn it handle more than one??

According to the datasheet for the Directv powerline adapters http://www.tiinettech.com/repository/datasheetlibrary/NYMDS083-0108.pdf, there can be up to 16 connections. All devices connected to the same powerlines will share the "bandwidth", of course. I have used three of these simultaneously (one connected to my router, one to a DVR and the third connected to several computers using a switch connected to the adapter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts