USTVNOW

Frazierface

Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Idaho
Hi There,

Just curious if anyone has experience with this product? If so could you let me know if it is worth it or not, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,

Marc

I have used it to watch the major network stations. The picture quality is just so so. I watched an NFL game when I was traveling in Europe. It works both on my PC and my Roku.

When the Fox station Dish provides in the USVI didn't carry the ALC series and the World Series I tried watching the games on USTVNOW but they just didn't have the bandwidth to meet the demand.

The channel is marketed as only being available to US Citizens outside the United States. The US Virgin Islands meets this definition.

I beleive the company that provides this service also offers on demand PPV services to small CATV operators. The service of offering US TV to expatriates seems to be one of the things in the "grey area". Some people seem to think it is illegal, but no one can site the chapter and verse it is violating. USTVNOW has been around for at least a couple years so if it was illegal you would think the networks and copy right police would have put an end to it.

Last edited:
Thanks,

I have noticed it has been around for a couple of years. Just trying to get a heads up. I have a Roku use Playon, Netflix. Hulu Plus, Directv. Any suggestions to consoidate these or use other means?

Marc

I've used the free stations (major networks out of Philie) quite a few times on my roku the last couple years . Decent picture , but unreliable steam . Might get over 2 hours of viewing sometimes , others a few minutes and it clicks off , over & over . Still worth having for networks back up , has helped me out more than once .

Works great with Roku. I subscribe to the basic USTVNOW service. The images are low resolution, but never any problems with buffering or loosing connection.

To subscribe, you cannot be on a US IP.

Low res video beats nothing. But I would not pay for the service. I get just the local channels which come from Harrisburg PA right now. It is absolutely NOT legal (violates copyright law) so it could be shut down any time without notice.

USTVNOW does the best they can to provide service. When you subscribe to the basic off air channels for free they don't have a lot of money to pay for bandwidth but they are trying.

Here is an e-mail that I received from them last night.

We invite you to watch the Super Bowl with us this Sunday on NBC! Watch The New York Giants versus The New England Patriots live from Indianapolis. See Madonna perform at half time. The game starts at 6 PM EST and the pregame at 1 PM. We have taken steps to insure you will have an uninterrupted, smooth streaming experience.
To start watching, go to http://www.ustvnow.com/login.php
watch_superbowl_online.jpg

If you have any feedback on our service or have any issues please do not reply to this email but instead open a ticket.

I definitely give companies like this a big thumbs up. Maybe they are walking on pins and needles legally. The whole idea with roku and others is to offer alternatives that in my opinion are ground breaking. While not main stream it is a far cry from what it was a decade ago. The hammer needs to drop on the outrageous prices sat/cable companies charge for services. They need to grip something other than our wallets. I've threatened many times on pulling the sat cord, haven't done it yet, but only sub to a bare bones package & use roku along with some "other" means to fill in the gaps.

SatelliteAV said:
Works great with Roku. I subscribe to the basic USTVNOW service. The images are low resolution, but never any problems with buffering or loosing connection.

To subscribe, you cannot be on a US IP.

You can register an account with a us ip and u can link ROKU. Cant use service on a pc with us based ip.Have no idea why it works on ROKU. but it does. The subscription service is outrageous worse than any pay service.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Hi There,

Just curious if anyone has experience with this product? If so could you let me know if it is worth it or not, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,

Marc

Hi. I've had USTVNOW for 3+ months. My Internet connection is highest speed, and works well with all other components. I do live in the US, and I used to have DTV for over 15+ years. Here's my bulltepoints:

- at a discount introductory rate of $30/month for 3 months, it's a total ripoff.

- at full price, you're an idiot. Seriously.

- the quality is POOR. Better quality on the Internet streaming.

- customer service is non-exexistent

- it's off more than it is on

- often times when it goes "out," even the website goes down, meaning you can't contact anyone to let them know. I resorted to their Facebook page, but now they don't answer the FB emails either.

- for the quantity you get, alone, DTV is cheaper (and I HATE DirecTv)

- the "TiVo" recording option only allows up to 5 presets, and it often forgets.

- it's frustrating at best. If it were a free service it would be more tolerable, even then most people would say "screw it, I'll pay for the headache to go away."

- it is NOT worth $30/month or the extremely over-inflated full price.

- pass on it unless you are getting it for FREE.

Once again, I'm in the US, highest speed Internet connection, and previously had DTV (who might as well wear masks and carry guns the way they rob you). This service is barely a service. It's worse than BETA versions. PASS. PASS. PASS.

Last edited:
Now the free service is no longer available on the roku.You have to pay for it,can still watch via pc.imo the video quality is sub-par at best.

Correct, i stopped being able to get the chs. like a month ago, for free that is. ( i live in the us btw)
now they require a pd sub!
I disagree though with a previous comment, I thought the PQ was descent, very comporable to SD dig tv picture, i miss weatherworld show on PA PBS , although you can still watch it on-line, plus occasionally I would find it kind of neat watching the SW PA news reports.

Yes, you can still watch online for free, not on the Roku anymore. For me the SD is ok, not good SD but not so bad you can't watch.

Yep on the free plan. IIRC, I signed on for the trial during the NFL pre-season. Tried it again on Saturday and Sunday and the basic 6 channels worked.
The Roku was unplugged for about a month so its possible it might have missed an update or two.

Cheers, K

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)