Vacation home service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
To respond to Claude's suggestion to just move the receiver each time - we already have a car full of stuff each time we commute back and forth so adding a bulky receiver box on each trip isn't good. Plus, I anticipate it will quickly become tiresome to unplug and reconnect the receiver each time we go to the other home, plus the risk of damage to the HD mentioned by Roland. As far as adding a second account and nearly doubling my monthly cost when I won't be using them simultaneously - that doesn't make sense to me.
I'm not buying the bulky receiver box. It's not that bulky:
  • Dimensions: 3.5" High x 16" Wide x 13" Deep
  • Weight: 11 lbs (pounds)
Do you have a laptop that you carry back and forth? It's got a hard drive in it too and people carry them around all day long without regard to the bouncing the HD takes.

I have a neighbor who RVs occasionally. He has a 211 that he takes with him when he travels. Because I am the neighborhood guru he asks me each time to move that 211 for him. It takes me less than 10 minutes to unplug his receiver, carry it downstairs, and hook it up to his TV in the RV. I think you're trying to make a case for not doing the simple thing. Do this, just try it one time. unhook your 722K and bring it with you to the vacation home. Hook it up there and use it. When you go back to your regular home simply reverse the sequence.

Now, there is still another thing that needs to be resolved whichever way you go. You say that there is already a dish at the vacation home that has a 301 attached to it. That could be a very old setup. It is important that the dish and it's LNBs are correct for today's satellite requirements. If they are, fine, if not they will need to be updated. You won't know that until you setup for the first time.

Okay. I'm going to try commuting back and forth with the single 722K I currently lease and see how that goes. If it turns out that that isn't workable logistically, I could purchase a second receiver at that point or even two to replace the one I lease.

It also sounds as if I need to get a Dish Tech to the vacation home look at the satellite dish and LNB (?). As a 12 year customer should I expect Dish Network to charge me for that, or do they typically do that at their expense because I've been a long term customer?

Getting advice on all this has really been helpful. Thank you.

Okay. I'm going to try commuting back and forth with the single 722K I currently lease and see how that goes. If it turns out that that isn't workable logistically, I could purchase a second receiver at that point or even two to replace the one I lease.

It also sounds as if I need to get a Dish Tech to the vacation home look at the satellite dish and LNB (?). As a 12 year customer should I expect Dish Network to charge me for that, or do they typically do that at their expense because I've been a long term customer?

You can set up a Dish Mover appointment to get your service installed at the vacation home. The technician will know whether the existing dish can be used, or if it needs to be replaced. The Dish Mover is completely free, but you can only do that once per year. The rest of the time, you would need to hook up the reciever(s) yourself.

Moving a 722 back and forth is a pain, no matter what anyone says. I did it one summer, it is big, bulky and cumbersome to pack, not to mention if you are also taking the dish separator and the pig tails which want to snag on everything. It's nothing like taking a small laptop. I finally just bought a couple 211's for other rooms at home and an EHD. Half the weight and bulk to take to the lake. The last year I had Dish, I just left a 211 there, as we didn't need it at home anymore. I called and had it activated the few times we were out there and wanted it, but it became more hassle than I wanted to deal with and eventually Dish couldn't compete with the bundle savings Cox offers for our main residence.

I wouldn't even bother now, as I don't have Dish anymore but I also now have 7Mb DSL internet at the lake cabin and I just use directvnow or the tv everywhere apps when I want something other than OTA. Tivo is great for the 40 local channels with antenna and the Fire TV stick for the internet apps. I need internet out there year round anyway, for the cellular microcell and security cameras.

Moving a 722 back and forth is a pain, no matter what anyone says. I did it one summer, it is big, bulky and cumbersome to pack, not to mention if you are also taking the dish separator and the pig tails which want to snag on everything. It's nothing like taking a small laptop. I finally just bought a couple 211's for other rooms at home and an EHD. Half the weight and bulk to take to the lake. The last year I had Dish, I just left a 211 there, as we didn't need it at home anymore. I called and had it activated the few times we were out there and wanted it, but it became more hassle than I wanted to deal with and eventually Dish couldn't compete with the bundle savings Cox offers for our main residence.

I wouldn't even bother now, as I don't have Dish anymore but I also now have 7Mb DSL internet at the lake cabin and I just use directvnow or the tv everywhere apps when I want something other than OTA. Tivo is great for the 40 local channels with antenna and the Fire TV stick for the internet apps. I need internet out there year round anyway, for the cellular microcell and security cameras.
You wrap the damn thing in a bath towel or blanket and nothing snags. I have already shown that it is not big and bulky, just a bit larger than a ream of paper.

You wrap the damn thing in a bath towel or blanket and nothing snags. I have already shown that it is not big and bulky, just a bit larger than a ream of paper.

A bit larger. You’re full of it and just trolling.

7eeb9c6d8210778ab0046f4b428ee9cf.jpg

Edit: PS if anyone around Tulsa wants this boat anchor, they can have it, as now that’s it’s out of the closet it’s going to the recycler on Monday.

Reactions: pattykay
Why would you take the cabling to both places? Why not have a set for each home, prehooked and not messed with? Techs will gladly hand those over... no need to make it a hassle. The OP never said he needed 2 TVs at the vacation home, so I wonder if the 722 would be best. Maybe a purchased 612. If DVRing is not as important and only needs a little, purchase a Wally for the second home. Still has Netflix, if I’m not mistaken. 2 tuners, and can use OTA if does not want to change the locals(or not if just doesn’t care about locals).

To the OP: you’ll get a million answers, and all are good. If y U want that 2nd 722, contact OSU, and work a deal with him in private message. Ultimately, it will come down to what experience you’re looking for.

I don't know what the fuss is about hauling a DVR receiver around. As said, the HD heads "park" when powered down, and at least a million or so RV'ers have them riding around in their motorhomes and travel trailers. Our Hopper w/Sling has been riding around year round in our motorhome for 4 years with no problems.

Reactions: dweber

A dish tech will not go to to your vacation home as it’s not registered to your account.

My suggestion would be to either call a retailer or call Dish and say you moved to your vacation home and do a dish mover.

Then move back after they reinstall your system.

Reactions: pattykay
I could purchase a second receiver at that point or even two to replace the one I lease.
Sounds like osu1991 is willing to give his away. Maybe you two can work out shipping details...

Plus, it is my intent to retire the 722k we're using at our vacation home with a pair of ViP 211 receivers. If that happens I'd be willing to let you pay shipping for the Official SatelliteGuys.US Christmas Give-away ViP 722k receiver.

My advice.... Don't include DISH in setting up the dish at the vacation home. Call a local installer there and pay him to do it and be done with it. You are saving alot already to get TV at the vacation home, spend a little for a good install and to keep DISH out of it.

A bit larger. You’re full of it and just trolling.

7eeb9c6d8210778ab0046f4b428ee9cf.jpg

Edit: PS if anyone around Tulsa wants this boat anchor, they can have it, as now that’s it’s out of the closet it’s going to the recycler on Monday.

Thank you, you made my case. I said it was a bit larger than a ream of paper, and gave the 722 dimensions in an earlier post. Your photo shows the difference and guess what, it is a bit larger, although your photo doesn’t show that the 722 is actually twice as high as a ream of paper. My whole gist was that a 722 is not the size of, say, a desktop computer. I think it is very managable to move around and there are a few people in this thread that agreed.

Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t make them a troll. I’ve giving advice here for nearly 15 years. A lot of it is good, a little not so good. When I am called out I gracefully acknowlege my mistake.

Sounds like osu1991 is willing to give his away. Maybe you two can work out shipping details...

Plus, it is my intent to retire the 722k we're using at our vacation home with a pair of ViP 211 receivers. If that happens I'd be willing to let you pay shipping for the Official SatelliteGuys.US Christmas Give-away ViP 722k receiver.

I'm not going to mess with shipping it, if anyone local wants it before Monday they can have it.
Thank you, you made my case. I said it was a bit larger than a ream of paper, and gave the 722 dimensions in an earlier post. Your photo shows the difference and guess what, it is a bit larger, although your photo doesn’t show that the 722 is actually twice as high a a ream of paper. My whole gist was that a 722 is not the size of, say, a desktop computer. I think it is very managable to move around and there are a few people in this thread that agreed.

Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t make them a troll. I’ve giving advice here for nearly 15 years. A lot of it is good, a little not so good. When I am called out I gracefully acknowlege my mistake.

Well we will have to disagree. You were wrong, it is not a bit larger it is more than double the size of a ream of paper, It would take a stack of 3 of my 17in desktop replacement laptops to equal the 722, sounds pretty bulky to me.
Telling someone to "WRAP THE DAMN THING IN A BATH TOWEL OR BLANKET" sounds trolling to me rather than giving advice, so I will bow out of this and you can continue with your sage advice

The bath towel or blanket is not bad advice. Really just trying to avoid large shocks... that machine is a decently sturdy one.

Reactions: NYDutch
Why would you take the cabling to both places?
In my experience, it is easier to leave the separator attached to the back of the receiver, and only unhook the one cable that goes to the input of the separator. That way, it is only one cable to unscrew each time. And, you can hook it up to any cable that is attached to a compatible LNB (or switch) instead of having to make sure that there is a separator at the other location, or run two cables from the LNB (or switch) if you do not have a separator.

Creek Dweller, this sounds like a plan. Foxbat is willing to give you his 722k for the cost of shipping. I am also willing to make the same deal with you if you want a second purchased 722k to replace your leased one. I would even include the MT2 OTA module, so you could use it to receive antenna local channels if you want. Let me know if you are interested, Creek Dweller. :)

In today's world I would recommend Amazon Fire TV using either Dish anywhere or Slingbox App ,or even better, using both Dish anywhere and Slingbox allowing up to two people to stream from your main home's dish system Without having to move anything. Dish Anywhere and Slingbox can stream in high-definition stereo sound and although both can use up to 8Mbps upstream and downstream, a stream using as slow speed as say 3 Mbps can still result in a more than adequate picture quality. I recommend using the Amazon Fire TV for these apps because this is the best way to view the content on a traditional large HDTV without any fuss arm us since both the Dish Anywhere and Slingbox app are free on the Fire TV you just connect the Fire TV directly to the television and you will have great picture quality from either Dish anywhere or Slingbox.

If there is ever a need for more viewers then additional viewers can simply use their dish credentials to log on to whatever channel has their programming. so if the kids want to watch Disney Channel they simply download the app on their mobile device or PC or even the Fire TV or Roku and log on to that channel using their dish ID and password and now they can watch Disney Channel live or watch video on demand from the Disney Channel VOD Library. this would be the same if someone wanted to watch say History Channel or Discovery Channel, but not all channels provide live feed of programming for example however many channels have a large selection of VOD including the most recently broadcast episodes of Series in as little as 1 or 2 days after first broadcast. So today unless someone doesn't have any internet, I really don't see the need to move boxes around etcetera.

I would also like to add that while moving a DVR box is not a big deal for some and not a big deal for me it is a big deal for quite a lot of people and we have to remember we are a group of power uses and the vast majority are not. I know many in my family especially my brother who are completely put off by the idea of unconnecting a box sticking it in the car truck going to a remote location and plugging it back in. for some are truly intimidated by doing this by not being a techie person, while others find the solution of disconnecting a box transporting a reconnecting it to be an utterly inelegant solution in this modern era and they find it a pain.

the advantages are that using Dish Anywhere does not prevent others from watching at the very same box at the main house, while Slingbox will take over that box functioning as if you were at home, so others cannot use that same box while you're streaming (both Dish Anywhere and Slingbox only allow one user streaming at any one time) but anyone else at the main house could still watch programming using other boxes-- and again the use of Dish Anywhere does not prevent anyone from using that very same box at your main home. using both Dish Anywhere and a Slingbox at the vacation home will allow up to two streams simultaneously to view on two separate TVs, while other people can just simply sign on to particular channels using the internet. in this scenario everything stays where it is and there's nothing to do or move except go to the vacation home launch Dish anywhere or Slingbox or launch a particular channel app such as HBO Go, Disney, Discovery Channel, History Channel, Etc

The best of luck in whatever solution you employ.

Last edited:
3. I record a bunch of programs at home right now. I imagine switching back and forth is going to complicate getting those recorded. Any thoughts on that?
In my mind, this is the paramount concern and should trump any thoughts of transporting being no big deal. It'd be a deal breaker for me and I'd go with the 2nd receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts