Valley of the Boom - National Geographic

EarDemon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
USA
Six part series airing two episodes a night on Jan 13, 20 and 27 about the early days of the world wide web, browser wars and the .com bubble. Didn't realize this was in the works for well over a year but after seeing promos for it on the other News Corp channels in heavy rotation for the past month I went to set a recording for it and found out the first episode is available On Demand.

Brings back a ton of memories as I first got internet access in 1995 and after brief stints with Prodigy, Compuserve and AOL on Windows 3.1, I graduated to Netscape when I went to Windows 95 a year later. A distant relative of mine, my grandfathers brothers sons daughter, so whats that like a second or third cousin, was some type of big wig executive at Yahoo, and was charged with creating the Yahoo Auctions site, which was a failed competitor to eBay. I remember her telling me all of the big plans Yahoo had at her grandfathers funeral lunch the one and only time I met her in the summer of 96, a couple of years before Auctions went live.

Episode 1 is very heavy into Netscape and The Globe. Can't say I'm a big fan of the presentation with going back and forth between real commentary and dramatized story telling. Not sure why, I love true crime and paranormal shows, and they are presented in the same fashion, just seems odd with a tech related show.

Reactions: wormil and TheKrell
I haven't seen it but, apparently there is another show on National Geographic Channel called Mars that follows the same story telling format. The sudden pausing of the action while having a main character break of the fourth wall to explain what just happened or what is about to happen is a trademark of House of Lies, since this show is from the same guys, it doesn't surprise me they do the same thing on Valley of the Boom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts