Vava Vroom

ECK27

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
VAVA VROOM Im out of here.The picture quality has become to bad for me to watch anymore.I can get this kind of PQ from d*,and seeing there is only one channel i watch that D* dosent have(world sport hd wich is unwatchable anymore)im goin back to D*.I know D* pq isnt as good as vooms "was"at least i will have my hd locals & hdnet.Adios voom it was good while it lasted....

My picture looks awesome here in the chicago area. I just went to voom on the 11th of March and am loving it. I could never go back to E and never had a desire to go to D.

I always find PQ complaints interesting; we sit 7-8 feet from a 62" 720p set, have good eyes, and find Voom picture quality generally outstanding. It dipped a bit -- particularly with high motion -- after the new encoders, but I was amazed at the PQ in some programs last night and today. And I watch a ton of soccer on WorldSport, and find that the quality has stabilized there as well.

So I don't know. I assume everybody with PQ issues has checked their signal strength, connections, etc. I wish you guys the best, but am somewhat glad I don't share your problems.

You guys are in denial. PQ is up tonight, but still a far cry from where it was. ECK27, if you can hold on just a bit longer, it is getting better. I tuned in Worldsport tonight and for the first time it was actually watchable. Give it a chance, Voom will get there.

Hey, ECK27. That previous comment comes from DarrellP, "Mr. PQ" himself :smug , a real stickler for PQ.

If he is hopeful about Voom's PQ, you should be!

im seriously considering downgrading from vavavoom just to ride my contract out, because i cant take this crappy PQ

Remeber Neo, there is no such thing as tangible PQ but that which is seen by the mind's eye.

In other words, one's crappy picture is another's religious experience.

tvrobert said:
Remeber Neo, there is no such thing as tangible PQ but that which is seen by the mind's eye.

In other words, one's crappy picture is another's religious experience.
What ever it is your smokin pass it on this way,I would like to turn my crapy pq into a religious experience :D I really hope voom works this out for the rest of you.The PQ isnt the only reason i left but the main one,the fact i cant receive my hd locals and not knowing the fait of voom itself is the other reasons.

cfkillers said:
must be your TV because mine is fine. except for universal hd. but i rarely watch that. you might want to check your tv color warmth or something.

UHD is unwatchable anymore for me. I prefer DVD quality to what I'm getting from UHD on Voom. And I watch a lot of UHD (Conan's, Sea Of Love, Return to Cabin by the Lake, The Concord Airport 79, Brewsters Millions, What Dreams May Come... all uncut/unedited.) Hopefully Voom can recover the PQ, or atleast reduce the motion artifacts... In particular, I remember how good Brewsters Millions looked, but it is not so anymore.

-John

jgantert said:
UHD is unwatchable anymore for me. I prefer DVD quality to what I'm getting from UHD on Voom. And I watch a lot of UHD (Conan's, Sea Of Love, Return to Cabin by the Lake, The Concord Airport 79, Brewsters Millions, What Dreams May Come... all uncut/unedited.) Hopefully Voom can recover the PQ, or atleast reduce the motion artifacts... In particular, I remember how good Brewsters Millions looked, but it is not so anymore.

-John
Just another reason why VOOM needs both Rainbow-1 and Rainbow-2.

I have a FP system that is 2 1/2 years old shooting to 120" screen. We sit back about 13' to 15' and I am always impressed with the VOOM picture on any channel we watch. I guess PQ is in the eye of the beholder.... or something like that.

Dividing Lines… The true PQ controversy...

Most of the disagreement regarding PQ, stems from the fact that new subscribers, especially those that have come aboard in the last couple of months, have not been exposed to the same level of HD that some of us longer term subscribers have. Second generation Voomers do not have a viable reference point to compare the quality of HD we are getting today. In comparing it to D* or E* or even their own DVD collections, today’s HD is acceptable if not better than anything that came before it, but it pales in comparison to what we used to have. :(

First generation Voomers should consider that the new crop of subscribers have not been exposed to the Jaw Dropping, Crystal Clear, Stop you dead in your tracks, TRUE HD that we were spoiled with when we first got Voom. Pictures so sharp that you find yourself noticing things that you would otherwise not even consider. Instead of seeing a field, you actually see the different shades and individual blades of grass that make up that field. Instead of seeing a crowd, you actually see all the individuals and their expressions that make up that crowd. Instead of seeing clothing, you actually see the fabrics and materials those cloths are made of. The examples are endless and difficult to describe to someone that has not experienced it first hand. ;)

Anyone new to Voom should consider that the rest of us have been spoiled, and that is why we are voicing our displeasure at the current state of the PQ. When you finally experience the true HD that we had in the beginning, I’m sure that you wont accept anything less either. IMHO :D

boatman said:
I have a FP system that is 2 1/2 years old shooting to 120" screen. We sit back about 13' to 15' and I am always impressed with the VOOM picture on any channel we watch. I guess PQ is in the eye of the beholder.... or something like that.

Tune to 501 during Century City and let me know if you still think so...

-John

I've never tuned in 501, but I will tonight when I get home. Is the PQ people are talking about just on certain channels @501?

boatman said:
I've never tuned in 501, but I will tonight when I get home. Is the PQ people are talking about just on certain channels @501?

Well, I watch 501 a lot (apparently much more so than most people here) and it is particularly bad on that channel. Maybe UHD's source feed has just been compressed more? I doubt it, but I guess it's possible.

As for the Voom 21, there are still motion artifacts there, as well as being softer than before the new encoders went in place. However, they are definitely watchable in my book.

Oh well... to each their own... But I definitely agree with Voom4Me. When I got Voom (around April '04) everyone on here was complaining about the PQ. At the time I thought it was great, but they were right. After a week or so, they did improve the PQ, and it was amazing! :)

-John

jgantert said:
Oh well... to each their own... But I definitely agree with Voom4Me. When I got Voom (around April '04) everyone on here was complaining about the PQ. At the time I thought it was great, but they were right. After a week or so, they did improve the PQ, and it was amazing! :) -John
And just imagine how much more amazing it will be when we get it back to the level it was before all the complaining started. :)

That’s why there is so much disagreement concerning PQ lately, because once you see the True HD we used to have first hand, you simply can’t go back. :no

As a new Voom customer (as of yesterday)...I do have to admit that the pq is disappointing. I can say with certainty that the pq of the SD channels is primarily less than that of Dish. I would also say that Discovery HD pq is better on Dish than Voom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)