Status
Please reply by conversation.

hrbib21

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Murrells Inlet, SC
Total noob? Yes. Searched? Yes.

Now that that's out of the way....I've had D* for about two years and I just had local channels hooked up today thru D*. Now I want to be able to record programs using a VCR. The only way I've found requires that the D* receiver be on. This poses a problem if I want to record programs on two different channels. I followed the directions included in the Phillips receiver booklet so I've gotten this far.

Is there any way to do this? Do I have to get a DVR, which will require me to pay to have another line run (according to the install guy)?

Help?

Thanks in advance.

A couple of questions:

1. Do you want to record two programs at the same time?
2. What receiver model do you have?

If you want to record two programs at the same time, the DVR is the way to go. Buying directly from D* should come with free installation (including running a second line). You could then save the programs to tape later on at your leisure.

If the programs come on at different times, almost all D* receivers have a timer function that will change the tuner to the station you program it for. Just look through your menu options.

Personally, since getting a DVR and a DVD player, I've used my VCR maybe two or three times in the past three years. DVR recordings are head and shoulders above what you can get with a VCR.

Well, when the D* guy was here on Thur., he said I would need another line run since the DVR uses two tuners. The extra line would cost me $75. So, today at Best Buy, they had a couple of open box specials on the DVR's for $50 so I bought one. I know I can only watch what I'm recording but that's OK since I only record when I'm not home. So, problem solved.

And just for future reference, when you buy a DVR from D*, they include "standard installation" which does not include running wires into your house, which in my case would the living room. That's where the extra $75 comes in.

Thanks.

Interesting, I always thought that a DVR install includes two lines. The guy may have been trying to get a few extra $$ out of you.

Actually the DVR purchase does include running up to two lines.

I would suggest Value Electronics for any D* purchase!! Robert owns VE and frequents Satelliteguys. He will take good care of you.

Hrbib... I am sure the installer was a contractor and as far as DirecTV goes everything is free to the customer. Heck call them and tell them you got the DVR and need a second line and the tech will also have to run a phone line for you. Of course the companies that contract for DirecTV do not pay the installers enough to make a living so you'll probably get some young kid that will butcher up your house... but what the heck... it is FREE.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)