System Hookup for Camping

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cbarr

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Southwest Virginia
I have a SWM SL#S4NR2 14 dish, H25-100 receiver and PI21R2-16 power inserter that I will be using for camping. I have added the receiver to my DirectTV account and was hoping someone could tell me anything else that I would need and can share any diagrams, etc. to help with the set up. This is a first for me so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

:welcome to Satelliteguys cbarr!

I'm not familiar with that lnb, does it have one output? If so, then it's a swm type and you will need the power inserter. I ask because if it has four outputs, it won't work with the H25 receiver without some other parts. Anyway, assuming it's a swm lnb, just connect from the lnb to the "from swm" connection on the power inserter, then to the receiver from the "to ird" connection. I assume you are going to use a tripod of some sort for the dish, yes? Regardless, the mast must be as plumb as you can get it. A post level is best for this. Then go to www.dishpointer.com, put in your information, and that will give you the azimuth, elevation, and skew settings. You can get those from the receiver as well. Once you set the dish with those numbers, check the signal strength screen to see if you have anything. Check the 101 satellite first. By moving the dish slowly, allowing the receiver to register any changes, you can get the 101 numbers into the 90s. You may need to make slight adjustments on the elevation and skew. Then check the 99c and 103ca and 103cb numbers. The process is the same for those, but the adjustments are much more subtle. Good luck, and come on back if you need more advice!

You should try setting it up at home to get the hang of aligning it before you go camping. If you aren't far from the camping site, it may not need much if any further adjustment.

I would add to everything said: Somehow separate your rig between a generator and a receiver. Make sure you have a constant voltage. Ask the tailgate guys. AND get some local installer phone numbers....they wull work for beer!

Joe

You are set. You have a Slimline dish with an SL3 SWM LNB, a SWM capable receiver and the requisite 21v power supply (PS). Connect the PS between the dish and the receiver. ODU connects to the dish and IRD connects to the receiver. In receiver settings, select SL3 and SWM. You have a tripod. Hopefully it is a TV4RV.com HD Tripod. Do I need to say that again. Obtain the settings for your locale preferably from Dishpointer.com or SatelliteFinder Android . Preset published Elevation and Tilt. Mount dish to a perfectly level/plumb, repeat perfectly level/plumb, tripod aimed ACCURATELY to the published magnetic Azimuth. You WILL have signal. Finish of with a meter if you want to peak it.

Unfortunately, you obviously are just starting to crawl. Being able to run will depend on you. Pay attention to detail and you will have signal. Works for me ALMOST every time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)