VCR to 811 Hookup

fourholesn1

Original poster
May 4, 2004
Can someone explain to correct way to connect my VCR to the 811? I have the 811 output connected ok and can record satellite programming but I cannot get the tape output to go through the 811 and on to the TV. I called Dish CSR and was told that I should run the VCR output straight to the TV, which I have done, but that requires me to switch the TV input to watch a tape - a complication too difficult for most of my family to negotiate! ;) Shouldn't I be able to connect the VCR output to the 811 and let it run the feed over to the TV??

I have a pretty old VCR, and can connect the 811 output to it via the red -white - yellow composite cable. I have to turn my VCR on "AV" which lets it record from the composite inputs, instead of the coax TV channels.

I happen to use the same type of connection from the VCR output to the TV.
But it looks like you can connect the VCR output to the back of the 811 as shown on page 4 of the users manual:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/811/Chapter2.pdf
The manual says you have to "tune" the 811 to one of they subchannels of channel 001, when you are using these 811 inputs.

I missed the subchannels of channel 1 part of the manual and the CSR didn't mention it either but I'll look into it tonight. Thanks.

I use the OTA feature of the 811, in addition to the Dish Satellite. The channels I am talking about can be tuned by going right below my channel 002. (I don't use those two "subchannels" yet, and I remembered them as being 000, not 001. But since I don't use them, my older memory may be slipping. Anyway, Chapter 2 of the manual says they are channel 1.)

ride525 said:
I use the OTA feature of the 811, in addition to the Dish Satellite. The channels I am talking about can be tuned by going right below my channel 002. (I don't use those two "subchannels" yet, and I remembered them as being 000, not 001. But since I don't use them, my older memory may be slipping. Anyway, Chapter 2 of the manual says they are channel 1.)

I think they moved them in one of the last software updates, as it clashed with some broadcasters sitting on channel 1, even though the weren't supposed to...

The two inputs are 000-1 and 000-2.

You can quickly jump to the first input buy entering 0's. Although, I find the picture to be terrible. I had my ReplayTV DVR hooked up that way but went back to direct connect to TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)