Verify KTEL on 79W?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

migold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
Pearisburg, Virginia
I am not seeing KTEL Telemundo 11900 on 79W. Usually it came in for me, not strong, but good. Since I am not seeing it, I am wondering if my dish is slightly off. This is close to my true south, so I use it for alignment check.
Thanks!

There isn't even a satellite at 79W anymore. KTEL is on 87W now on 12009 H 2170.

Its been a bit of a pain for those of us using 79W as our due south now that its just a big linear Ku hole in the sky from 72W to 83W. I've been using RTV on 83W with the dish rotated what I hope is 3-4 degrees W off reference as my new reference point. Interested if anyone has any other suggestions.

Its been a bit of a pain for those of us using 79W as our due south now that its just a big linear Ku hole in the sky...
Welcome to my world at my longitude of 64W. The only linear Ku with regular programming is 83W which is about 27 degrees azimuth to my west. Use strong data transponders (check on TheList) or circular satellites. Now that I know how strong Echostar is at 61.5W, I use it since it's only 3 degrees east of my due south.

Its been a bit of a pain for those of us using 79W as our due south now that its just a big linear Ku hole in the sky from 72W to 83W.

yeah that doesnt help now that a few of the sats either are gone or switched how they are broadcast
74W gone
77W switched to Turbo 8PSK (DBS)
79W gone

Welcome to my world at my longitude of 64W. The only linear Ku with regular programming is 83W which is about 27 degrees azimuth to my west. Use strong data transponders (check on TheList) or circular satellites. Now that I know how strong Echostar is at 61.5W, I use it since it's only 3 degrees east of my due south.

Why can't you use 72 W?

the person is in Nova Scotia and it might be a footprint issue...thats why 61W cant be used. Footprint doesnt reach there

edit: yep 72W doesnt reach there...or in some parts it reaches barely

Thanks Ice! Now I see why it is so strong here.

On a separate note, I've been getting lots of signals on 74W. Right now 11735 V 3977
I'm also getting the NBC Mux with my 1M motorized dish and S9
There are also 2 religious feeds 11966 H 1666 & 12144 V 2572

I added this sat to my list a few weeks ago when you mentioned it.

Last edited:
...a footprint issue...
Exactly! I've tried many times with my 1-metre dish. Amazonas at 61W and 72W aren't receivable here. I can receive strong data transponders on 74W, but Echostar at 61.5W is easier, even with some unscrambled channels on it now. I have seen those commercial 1.2-metre dishes on nearby Wendy's and a gas station. I have my eye on them. Next time I go there, I'll ask if they still use them.

I was going to suggest 61w but missed your later post (page 2!). Signal map does suggest you should be able to get spomething on 61w so have you tried it since your dish tweaking?

...Signal map does suggest you should be able to get something on 61w so have you tried it since your dish tweaking?
I just got a new used Openbox S9. Since I am setting it up with a new satellite and transponder list, I will be searching for each satellite again (and with an open mind). I will try for the 61W satellites too. My dish is now on the arc nicely so I can just use USALS and, worst case, move the dish a couple bumps left or right to peak.

Thanks Ice! Now I see why it is so strong here.

On a separate note, I've been getting lots of signals on 74W. Right now 11735 V 3977
I'm also getting the NBC Mux with my 1M motorized dish and S9
There are also 2 religious feeds 11966 H 1666 & 12144 V 2572

I added this sat to my list a few weeks ago when you mentioned it.
Those are all on 72°W - Probably you are just a little out of alignment, I have scanned those in as being on 72 before.

Those are all on 72°W - Probably you are just a little out of alignment, I have scanned those in as being on 72 before.

I have a motorized dish, so I am picking them up on 72.0 W also.

This time last year, I didn't pick them up at all on 74.0W. I'm seeing the same Q on 72 & 74 on my S9 (75%)

Does bleed over change that much in 12 months?

Curious,
Norman

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts