Disney's Copyrighted Material

NEW YORK and BURBANK, Calif. -- Verizon and The Walt Disney Company today
announced a long-term, wide-ranging programming agreement for multiple Disney
and ESPN networks and services.
Under the agreement, Verizon will carry 12 television services on Verizon
FiOS TV's expanded basic, including ABC Family, ABC News Now, Disney Channel,
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, Toon Disney and
SOAPnet. Verizon will also be granted retransmission consent of ABC's owned
and operated television stations as part of the agreement.
Under the agreement, Verizon will carry major Disney and ESPN programming
and broadband services including:

* A Disney and ESPN broadband product portfolio including ABC News Now,
Disney Connection, ESPN360, Movies.com and a newly launched broadband
soap opera product

* ESPN Deportes, ESPN's 24-hour Spanish-language sports network, and Toon
Disney en Espanol on Verizon's Hispanic expanded basic and Hispanic
tier packages

* A VOD content portfolio offered to all digital customers including On
Demand services from ABC Family, ABC News Now, Disney Channel, ESPN,
ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, Jetix, Radio Disney TV, SOAPnet and Toon Disney

* Buena Vista Pay Television

* ESPN Pay-Per-View

Verizon and Disney also agreed to cooperate, consistent with the U.S.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act, to help curb infringement of Disney's
copyrighted works over the Internet while at the same time appropriately
safeguarding the privacy of Verizon Internet service subscribers.
Under the agreement, Verizon would forward and track notices to its
subscribers allegedly engaged in the unauthorized distribution of Disney's
copyrighted works, without identifying the subscribers to Disney, and either
provide subscriber identifying information pursuant to lawfully served
subpoenas or terminate Verizon Internet service provided to subscribers who
have infringed Disney copyrights and received multiple notices.
"This is a significant step forward in the effort toward inter-industry
cooperation in addressing the serious problem of copyright infringement over
the Internet. At the same time, Verizon continues its commitment to
protecting the privacy of Verizon subscribers and only providing identifying
information about such subscribers in response to subpoenas properly issued by
the courts," said Ivan Seidenberg, chairman and CEO of Verizon.
"At Disney we are committed to providing our content on multiple platforms
so that consumers have choice and flexibility when making their entertainment
decisions. We commend Verizon for doing its part in promoting legitimate
channels for content distribution and for its leadership in helping curb
Internet-based copyright infringement," said Robert A. Iger, president, COO
and CEO-Elect, The Walt Disney Company. "Working together to address piracy we
can help to ensure that the same content Verizon is distributing legally under
this deal will not be downloaded illegally."

About The Walt Disney Company
The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS), together with its subsidiaries and
affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and
media enterprise with four business segments: media networks, parks and
resorts, studio entertainment and consumer products. Disney is a Dow 30
company, had annual revenues exceeding $30 billion in its most recent fiscal
year, and a market capitalization of nearly $48 billion as of September 20,

About Disney and ESPN Media Networks
Disney-ABC Television Group is home to all of The Walt Disney Company's
worldwide cable, satellite and broadcast entertainment properties. The Group
includes the ABC Television Network, the Disney Channel Worldwide portfolio of
kids channels, ABC Family, and SOAPNet; as well as television production and
syndication divisions Touchstone Television, Walt Disney Television Animation,
and Buena Vista Television. Disney-ABC Television Group also manages the
Company's equity interest in Lifetime Entertainment Services, A&E Television
Networks and E! Networks cable groups.

ESPN, Inc. is the world's leading multinational, multimedia sports
entertainment company featuring a portfolio of over 50 multimedia sports
assets. The company is comprised of seven domestic television networks (ESPN,
ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, ESPN Today), ESPN and
ESPN2 HD, simulcast services, ESPN Regional Television, ESPN International
(networks, syndication, radio, web sites), ESPN Radio, ESPN.com, ESPN The
Magazine, SportsTicker, ESPN Enterprises, ESPN Zones (sports-themed
restaurants), and other growing new businesses including ESPN360 (Broadband),
ESPN Mobile, ESPN on Demand, ESPN Interactive and ESPN PPV. Based in Bristol,
Ct., ESPN is 80 percent owned by ABC, Inc., which is an indirect subsidiary of
The Walt Disney Company. The Hearst Corporation holds a 20 percent interest
in ESPN.

About Verizon Communications Inc.
With more than $71 billion in annual revenues, Verizon Communications Inc.
(NYSE: VZ) is one of the world's leading providers of communications services.
Verizon has a diverse work force of more than 214,000 in four business units:
Domestic Telecom provides customers based in 28 states with wireline and other
telecommunications services, including broadband. Verizon Wireless owns and
operates the nation's most reliable wireless network, serving 47.4 million
voice and data customers across the United States. Information Services
operates directory publishing businesses and provides electronic commerce
services. International includes wireline and wireless operations and
investments, primarily in the Americas and Europe. For more information,
visit http://www.verizon.com .

VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches
and biographies, media contacts, high quality video and images, and other
information are available at Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at
http://www.verizon.com/news . To receive news releases by e-mail, visit the News
Center and register for customized automatic delivery of Verizon news
releases.

This is one of about 5 deals that have been done for about a month just not announced until now. Also Verizon would love to announce this deal and the other 4 but its not Verizons choice because the programmer can tell Verizon when they can announce it because the contract could have an effective data of months later so Verizon can't exactly announce that they have a contract with so and so until that contract goes into affect.

It looks like Verizon is gearing up to kick ass and take names. My prediction: In three years Verizon will have more than 15 million customers and will cause further cable consolidation and the merger of D* and E*.

LonghornXP said:
This is one of about 5 deals that have been done for about a month just not announced until now. Also Verizon would love to announce this deal and the other 4 but its not Verizons choice because the programmer can tell Verizon when they can announce it because the contract could have an effective data of months later so Verizon can't exactly announce that they have a contract with so and so until that contract goes into affect.

Hey longhorn whats the other 4?
The major ones i can think of are Viacom, New Corp,Time warner(HBO/Cinimax), maybe comcast(E!,OLN,etc) and Rainbow/cablevision. Are those the 4. I did see a quote from Murdoch on yahoo saying the newscorp deal is 99% done.

Verizon's FiOS TV Signs Disney, Woos Fox

Verizon has inked a long-term deal with Disney to provide programming for FiOS TV, the telephone carrier's newborn video subscription service; Fox might be next.

Telephone carrier Verizon announced today it has signed a long-term agreement with the Walt Disney Company to provide programming for Verizon's nascent video and television service FiOS TV, which it plans to start offering in Keller, Texas this week and to as many as three million customers by the end of 2005. FiOS TV's expanded basic programming will include Disney services ABC Family, ABC News Now, Disney Channel, Toon Disney and SOAPnet, as well as seven ESPN channels. Verizon will also be able to retransmit content of ABC's owned and operated stations under the agreement.

Next on tap for FiOS TV? Rupert Murdoch's News Corp: while a deal hasn't yet been formalized, Verizon expects FiOS to carry leading Fox channels such as FX, Fox News, and the Fox Network when the network officially launches.

FiOS TV will be an adjunct offering to Verizon's high-speed Internet service, and will represent Verizon's bid to compete in the television market against cable and satellite television providers by moving television content over the telephone company's high-speed fiber optic network directly to customers' homes. Regional telephone carriers have been attempted to gain footholds in the high-margin video business for some time, but have largely been stymied by licensing and regulatory restrictions which require would-be operators to acquire permits and licenses in thousands of cities and municipalities. While the regulatory environment is not improving from Verizon's point of view, the company intends to roll out FiOS TV as quickly as possible, hoping to gain momentum in locales where Verizon offers phone service and broadband Internet access through service and subscription packages.

Given that FiOS TV's content is delivered digitally, it's not surprising that the primary concern expressed in today's Verizon/Disney announcement is that Verizon and Disney will cooperate to prevent copyright infringement of Disney's material over the Internet, while simultaneously protecting the privacy of FiOS TV subscribers. Verizon will play the heavy, tracking alleged piracy of Disney material without disclosing customer information unless required to do so by subpoena. We'll see how that works out.

I can't say what the other 4 are but the Fox channels nor the HBO/Cinemax channels are part of the 4 they have done but not announced yet. That may shed some light and these remaining 4 are considered major deals by our terms but maybe not by an average joe paying 25 bucks a month.

LonghornXP said:
I can't say what the other 4 are but the Fox channels nor the HBO/Cinemax channels are part of the 4 they have done but not announced yet. That may shed some light and these remaining 4 are considered major deals by our terms but maybe not by an average joe paying 25 bucks a month.

are they voom, inhd & hd nets?

hbk409 said:
are they voom, inhd & hd nets?

maybe.....maybe not. :D

Just a little hint for you all. All the sports PPV packages (except NFL Sunday Ticket) are owned by what company. I've said many times before that they have deals for the sports packages.

Once you find out who this company is you must ask yourself what other channels do they own besides the sports packages.

LonghornXP said:

Just a little hint for you all. All the sports PPV packages (except NFL Sunday Ticket) are owned by what company. I've said many times before that they have deals for the sports packages.

Once you find out who this company is you must ask yourself what other channels do they own besides the sports packages.

Maybe.... :)

Murdoch says News Corp close to TV deal with Verizon

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/21/AR2005092101411.html

yanks2402 said:
And what I believe is the first of it's kind, rights to ABC News Now, which I believe is their internet/digital subchannel. Lots of Other stuff listed in the PR.
News Now gives me the impression that is's News On Demand, but yes, you are correct that it's a 24/7 news channel. Basically ABC's response to Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN.

LonghornXP said:

Ok so basically Viacom,Comcast (INHD, Sports packages and what ever else they own), Rainbow(Voom,AMC,WE,FUSE) and the HDNETS. If they do make deals with Rainbow/cablevision and comcast will the include there regional sports nets. Are they forced the offer the regional sports net to verizon.

liquidnw said:
Ok so basically Viacom,Comcast (INHD, Sports packages and what ever else they own), Rainbow(Voom,AMC,WE,FUSE) and the HDNETS. If they do make deals with Rainbow/cablevision and comcast will the include there regional sports nets. Are they forced the offer the regional sports net to verizon.

If they do make these deals (again I can't say) I do indeed believe that nearly all the RSN SD and HD feeds will be part of the deal. All I can say is that you will be very happy with the lineup. Also the upcoming Fox based HD package from what I hear will indeed be part of the Fox deal.

If you think the current HD lineup is better than everyone else well you will be crapping your pants once you see the final lineup of HD offerings.

Damn I love this stuff.

LonghornXP said:
If they do make these deals (again I can't say) I do indeed believe that nearly all the RSN SD and HD feeds will be part of the deal. All I can say is that you will be very happy with the lineup. Also the upcoming Fox based HD package from what I hear will indeed be part of the Fox deal.

If you think the current HD lineup is better than everyone else well you will be crapping your pants once you see the final lineup of HD offerings.

Damn I love this stuff.

thats good news. It will be kind of funny and sad if they do make a deal with rainbow for voom especially since cablevision has to this point not decided to launch on there own systems yet.

Would it be correct to assume the deal with fox also include the fox owned RSNs?

LonghornXP said:

Damn I love this stuff.

I am salivating right now.... :D

LonghornXP said:

Damn I love this stuff.

hurry up tampa/hillsborough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts