Verizon edge

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
My wife and I are on Verizon edge and wondering does anyone else here do edge ? Mainly because my wife didn't want a contract again so this was one way to avoid it. Yeah you pay full price but if you don't upgrade every 6 months then there's not much to worry about.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My understanding is there is still essentially a two year contract as you have to pay the remaining balance of the device if you cancel. Am I wrong?

I see the Edge program as basically paying for the device twice. I mean, the monthly plan fee includes paying for the phone subsidy, then with Edge you're paying an extra amount each month to buy the phone.

Please correct me if I am figuring this wrong. Let's say I have a 450 minute plan ($40) with 1,000 texts ($10) and 2 gb data ($30) for a total monthly fee of $80. Every two years, I'm allowed to buy a $600 phone for $200, so Verizon has already included in that $80 monthly fee enough to pay that $400 off.

With Edge, I'm still paying this $400 subsidy off and paying $25 month extra for 24 months or an extra $600 for a new phone. Thus, that phone is actually costing me $1,000. Now, by not being on contract, I can cancel service at any time but I still have to pay off phone. Well, even under contract, I can cancel at any time and pay the ETF, which is less than the Edge price.

Looks like smoke and mirrors to me.

Last edited:
Using edge is good if you want to upgrade every year but don't want to pay the big upfront cost of buying the phone outright.

The main drawback I see is you have to trade the phone in when you upgrade, and don't get the benefit of selling it to offset that big upfront cost (which of course you don't have with edge). In many cases selling a fairly new high end used device can offset the difference between the subsidized price and the outright price.

I don't think it is a bad deal. I think it just depends on what exactly you want to do.

"Edge" seems a poor name for such a plan.
Plus, out of context, it is easily confused with the 2G mode.
That is what drew me to read this thread. :down
?.

So I spoke with Verizon about when my phones paid off since I don't want to trade it in next year and the rep says , it won't matter because you're not eligible until 2015 for a 2 year upgrade. It's like signing a 2 year contract. So I spoke with another rep today who told me the complete opposite . He said once the device is paid off that I'd be eligible for discount pricing . Glad that's a relief . Trading it In is worthless because Verizon will only apply what it's worth when you get it and it won't count towards the edge balance as to paying that down.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts