Verizon fios announce new higher internet speeds

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Wish FiOS was available in my part of Albany NY, still hasn't come in, been a year since announced they had begun it.

I'm wondering if TWC will increase the top speed of the "Ultimate" service in reaction (Currently 50 meg/5 meg).

I'm not sure how much faster the cable companies can go given most cable architectures. There's no doubt Verizon has the capability to double these speeds, even today, but just how many people require these speeds and, more importantly, how many people are going to pay for them. As much as we use the Internet...25/25 is plenty for our needs.

I agree I have 30 and many of my friends have 50 where we are and 105 is the current fastest offered to residential customers and that's at $190/mo and a 300GB cap! NO WAY!!

I agree I have 30 and many of my friends have 50 where we are and 105 is the current fastest offered to residential customers and that's at $190/mo and a 300GB cap! NO WAY!!

wow, I couldn't imagine paying $190 a month for internet, that's insane pricing. But the faster is the better. I just can't see myself paying over 60 for internet, I pay 82 for Phone and Internet thru Verizon, wish it was FiOS, just standard DSL.

I'm not sure how much faster the cable companies can go given most cable architectures. There's no doubt Verizon has the capability to double these speeds, even today, but just how many people require these speeds and, more importantly, how many people are going to pay for them. As much as we use the Internet...25/25 is plenty for our needs.

The cable companies can easily match Verizon's new speed offerings, but they don't have to, since the majority of the public is technologically incompetent and fast speeds are irrelevant to them.

Time Warner's current DOCSIS 3.0 modems can bond enough channels for 300+ Mbps down and 100+ Mbps up. However, they'd have to dramatically restructure the way they distribute their HDTV channels for it to be feasible to use that many QAM slots on a single subscriber.

wow, I couldn't imagine paying $190 a month for internet, that's insane pricing. But the faster is the better. I just can't see myself paying over 60 for internet, I pay 82 for Phone and Internet thru Verizon, wish it was FiOS, just standard DSL.

The current tiers as stand alones are similiarly high priced. But the bundle prices are much less. We will have to see what the new bundle prices are.

The cable companies can easily match Verizon's new speed offerings, but they don't have to, since the majority of the public is technologically incompetent and fast speeds are irrelevant to them.

Time Warner's current DOCSIS 3.0 modems can bond enough channels for 300+ Mbps down and 100+ Mbps up. However, they'd have to dramatically restructure the way they distribute their HDTV channels for it to be feasible to use that many QAM slots on a single subscriber.
they need a backbone that will support those high speeds

Xizer said:

...which is not easy not economically feasible. I believe Verizon's new GPONs have been tested at 900 Gbps without any modifications to their cable delivery systems. But then again, who needs this kind of bandwidth for home use? Regardless, cable will never be able to match Fios...unless they pull-out the copper and run fiber all the way to the home.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

juan said:
they need a backbone that will support those high speeds

Absolutely. Even if cable were to rollout 300 Mbps for a few customers, Verizon would simply double their offering to 600 Mbps for everyone who wanted it.

...which is not easy not economically feasible. I believe Verizon's new GPONs have been tested at 900 Gbps without any modifications to their cable delivery systems. But then again, who needs this kind of bandwidth for home use? Regardless, cable will never be able to match Fios...unless they pull-out the copper and run fiber all the way to the home.

They said that before 20 Mbps was common. And 10 Mbps...

If it weren't for people constantly pushing the envelope and upgrading capacity we would all still be on a text and heavily compressed image only Internet and YouTube would have never been invented.

You have to look to the future. This can allow for Ultra High Definition Television to be sent via the Internet and if everyone had connections like these maybe Netflix and all other web video for that matter wouldn't look so sh!tty. YouTube's overcompressed 1080p pales in comparison to a Blu-ray or satellite feed.

Umm in Canada Shaw cable offers 200mbit +.. They have plenty of room to grow ;)

From a technical stand point? Of course fiber is better than cable. But from a business standpoint? The cable companies are still in better position as they do not have to spend the billions that the phone companies do to build out the network. With simple and relatively speaking cheap upgrades the cable companies can provide more then enough bandwidth for the home user for years to come. As it is now the highest tier most US cable companies offer (50mbit) is more then the overwhelming majority of users will ever need.

The new speed changes and higher numbers are simply for marketing. And well the avg user does not know 1mbit from 100mbit. They just see a big number and think hey that must be better. However if they are currently already happy with their service they really have desire to move. The cable companies have been very smart to not get into a "speed" war with fios. Instead they are staying with the value war.