Verizon FiOS Set Top Boxes

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Ok, with the coming arrival of Verizon FiOS in Texas, has anyone actually seen FiOS Set Top Boxes? I have reached the end of the Internet (and this Forum too) and the only information I have found is that Verizon will be using a Microsoft TV software version and Motorola hardware. Am I missing something right under my nose?

Verizon Selects Motorola to Provide Optical Equipment for Deployment of Next-Generation Fiber-to-the-Premises (FTTP) Network

Motorola’s FTTP Solutions to Help Deliver Converged Voice, Data and Video Services to Residential and Business Customers over Verizon’s All-Fiber Network

NEW YORK and SCHAUMBURG, Ill., -- April 20, 2005 -- Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) and Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ) today announced that Verizon has awarded Motorola a five-year contract to supply equipment in support of the deployment of next-generation fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) networks. Motorola’s FTTP technology will help Verizon deliver advanced services, including innovative broadband, video entertainment and quality voice services to the homes and businesses served by Verizon’s all-fiber network. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Verizon is now deploying FTTP in half the states it serves, and has already begun to sell its FiOS broadband services over fiber. Motorola becomes the second company to supply Verizon with FTTP electronics and now joins a select group of primary suppliers of electronic and outside plant equipment for the project.

As previously announced in October 2004, in a separate multi-year contract, Verizon selected Motorola to help build the video network infrastructure portion of FTTP, providing head-end technology, digital set-tops and integration services.

Under the contract announced today, Motorola will provide Verizon with advanced electronic equipment that will be installed in Verizon central offices, as well as at customer locations, as the company deploys FTTP. This equipment includes high-density, multi-protocol Optical Line Terminals (Motorola AXS2200 OLT), intelligent Optical Network Terminals (Motorola residential and business ONTs) and video-optimized Optical Amplifiers (Motorola EDFAs).

“Motorola’s technology will help us expand our strategic footprint in the entertainment services market and further enhance our ability to deliver voice, data and video services over fiber to our customers,” said Paul Lacouture, president of Verizon’s Network Services Group. “Motorola’s ability to scale to match Verizon’s FTTP deployment plans was a key factor in our selection of its next-generation FTTP technologies.”

In 2004, Verizon began building its new all-fiber network, which uses hair-thin strands of fiber and optical electronics to replace traditional copper-wire connections and directly links homes and businesses to the Verizon network. Verizon’s FTTP network currently passes more than 1 million homes and businesses across 14 of the 29 states the company serves. Verizon plans to double its FTTP network deployment in 2005, as well as launch its first television services on its new FTTP network in the second half of the year.

“This agreement extends Motorola’s long-standing relationship with Verizon and underscores our ability to successfully deliver proven FTTP solutions that easily scale from thousands to millions of subscribers,” said Adrian Nemcek, executive vice president, and president of Motorola’s Networks business. “As users’ demand for seamless mobility and converged services continues to increase, Verizon is well-poised to take a leading position as a next- generation service provider.”

Verizon Says, 'Hello, Moto'
OCTOBER 26, 2004

Motorola Inc. (NYSE: MOT - message board) announced today that Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ - message board) has awarded it a multiyear contract to provide the video network infrastructure and video consumer premises equipment related to Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network (see Verizon Picks Motorola ).

Strategically, this is a big deal for Motorola. Even though some analysts say the intial revenues may be small and the contract will take some time to build up, it means Motorola's got its hands in the video expansion of the world's second-largest telecom provider.

Motorola's newly-formed Telecom Access Solutions business will be the services arm that takes care of Verizon. That group will also pursue other opportunities in the telco video space, according to Randy Bahr, VP of business development for Motorola's Broadband Communications group.

As part of its deal with Verizon, Motorola will provide everything from video headends to set-top boxes to some in-home networking equipment. It will likely partner with other companies on some of the video middleware and other software pieces, a Motorola spokesman says.

It's not clear whether Verizon will pick Motorola as the second supplier for its optical line terminals (OLTs), the “brains” of the FTTP system that control the downstream and upstream signal transmissions. Some analysts feel this new contract puts pressure on Advanced Fibre Communications Inc. (AFC) (Nasdaq: AFCI - message board), Verizon's first OLT provider.

"As we have been saying all along, we are not convinced AFC's position in FTTP -- especially in light of MOT winning a spot at VZ this morning too -- is enough to provide Tellabs with a solution to its long-term topline growth problems," writes J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. analyst Ehud Gelblum in a note to clients this morning.

Verizon spokesman Mark Marchand says that the carrier has not announced its pick for a second OLT supplier (Verizon Expands FTTP Plan). But he "can't rule out that [Motorola] would bid on this."

Neither side is talking about how valuable the contract will be to Motorola. Some say the real profit on Motorola's side will come from customer premises equipment.

"We don't expect MOT to profit from the infrastructure given this is a footprint rollout, but expect it to profit on the set-tops," writes Daryl Armstrong, Smith Barney's telecom equipment analyst. Armstrong believes Motorola's set-top revenues from Verizon will amount to $23 million or so.

Verizon's first rollout of video services is expected to occur sometime next year, and the company has said it will first offer an RF-based video service, equivalent to what is now offered by cable companies. The FTTP RFP the carrier issued -- along with SBC Communications Inc. (NYSE: SBC - message board) and BellSouth Corp. (NYSE: BLS - message board) -- in June 2003 even spelled out a video delivery system that would use, "to the extent possible, standard off-the-shelf CATV video equipment."

The RFP went on to say that the video distribution technique planned "is a CATV-like system." It noted that carriers were interested in being able to provide a "DTH (Direct To Home) Satellite service" in areas where the CATV network wasn't feasible. "The expectation is that the video overlay aspect of the G.983.3 delivery platform will be utilized in one of the two spectral configurations but not at the same time." (See ITU Drafts PON Standards.)

It only makes sense that Verizon's CATV-like video network will be built by Motorola, a top supplier to cable companies. A Motorola spokesman says the video network it is planning for Verizon will support IP-based video as well, when needed, but the architecture and the partner companies used will be "more similar to what we've done in the cable industry."

There have been no official word as to the model number and the people testing the equipment have had NDA preventing them from telling.

Perhaps someone like LonghornXP can enlighten us?

They wont let me post a URL yet, but place the "DOT" in the approate area, and you will find your answer

rtt2 said:
There have been no official word as to the model number and the people testing the equipment have had NDA preventing them from telling.

Perhaps someone like LonghornXP can enlighten us?

Not yet because I'm under an NDA as far as taking pictures and such. What I can tell you is that the boxes are Motorola. Also the boxes will be running Microsoft Foundation Edition which covers pretty much all the software including the IPG and menus. The DVRs will be two tuner DVR boxes. HD DVR boxes and HD boxes will have HDMI (with HDCP), component, svideo and the like. The boxes will have at least a coax audio connector but I'm hearing the boxes will have both coax and optical connections. The DVR boxes will also have an SATA connection that will work with any SATA retail hard drive once you format it with the box itself. I'm also hearing that the DVR boxes might also have firewire connectors but I can't promise that but it does seem to be at least considered on Verizons part.

The TV guide is very similiar to the Microsoft based TV guide that has been rolled out in a very few Comcast markets but the guide is different in several key ways so don't judge the Comcast guide to Verizons guide.

Good stuff. I can't wait to read future reviews.

Regarding firewire, it seems to me that Verizon would have to provide fully functional ports as mandated by CFR 76.640, which are the rules that mandate Cable MSOs provide firewire on all HD STBs after 1 July 2005. I don't know see why Verizon/SBC wouldn't have to follow the same rules as Cable...especially the ones who have already been granted local and statewide cable franchise agreements.

I wonder to what extent this will differ from my Moto 6412. I'm generally pretty happy with the unit so I can't complain. Just wondering if Verizon will come up with something noticeably better in some way with multi-room connection capabilities, significantly more storage or other features.

The attached files are B-Role footage from Verizon that shows a pan of the STB (which is the HD-DVR) and the second shows a few screens of the GUI, mainly the full-screen programming guide.

Attachments

• STB.zip
    885.7 KB · Views: 203
  • GUI.zip
    939.1 KB · Views: 170

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)