riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Verizon Hits 21% Video Penetration in Keller

Source

Verizon Communications Inc. has reached 21% penetration for Verizon FiOS TV in Keller, Texas, four months after launch, the company said.

“We are seeing great initial acceptance by customers,” chief financial officer Doreen Tobin said, adding, “we’re very pleased with initial sales” in the other new markets where FiOS has launched.

The company added 613,000 digital-subscriber-line customers, but it did not break out FiOS data customers. Tobin said FiOS data penetration has reached 9% in markets where it has been launched for six months and 14% in markets where it’s been launched for nine months. She added that about 35% of its FiOS data subscribers are converts from its DSL service.

Verizon said it added 50,000 DirecTV Inc. direct-broadcast satellite subscribers during the quarter to end the year at 350,000.

Interesting... 21%. Have they actually started to advertise FIOS TV in Keller TX? I know they are coming soon here and are currently in VA. Yet, I still have not seen any TV advertisement for FIOS TV in MD or VA. 21% just by word of mouth would be amazing. I'm suprised the data numbers are so low. Only 14%. I guess most people are happy with dialup? I dunno.

-John

I'm happy with my Netzero 3G dialup and cost me $9.99/mo. Of course, no big files or videos at high speed but is good to check my e-mails, read the news and watch forums like this. I leave the videos to my HD TV.

josem3 said:
I'm happy with my Netzero 3G dialup and cost me $9.99/mo. Of course, no big files or videos at high speed but is good to check my e-mails, read the news and watch forums like this. I leave the videos to my HD TV.
While not FiOS related, I think more and more people are finding it harder to justify spending $10 on dialup when you can get 15x the speed for $15 with DSL. Rumore had it that a similar plan was in the works for FiOS down the road.

cdru said:
While not FiOS related, I think more and more people are finding it harder to justify spending $10 on dialup when you can get 15x the speed for $15 with DSL. Rumore had it that a similar plan was in the works for FiOS down the road.[/QUOTE

Existing DSL customers on the 15 bucks a month service plan will be offered if they ask a FIOS package for the same price with speeds of 1.5Mbps down and 768Kbps UP. This at some point in time in the future will be offered to all customers who get their video service. This means that you soon can get this plan if you meet one of the two options below.

1. Your an existing DSL customer in the 15.00/month service plan.
2. In the future if you order the TV service you can get this service level.

But please note that once this is available to all customers you must order the TV service to get this tier as this teir won't be a standalone but must be bundled with their TV service.

LonghornXP said:
But please note that once this is available to all customers you must order the TV service to get this tier as this teir won't be a standalone but must be bundled with their TV service.
So is this going to be the non-subscriber "tax" similar to what Cable companies do? "If you don't subscribe to TV we'll charge you an extra $15/month...which just happens to be the same cost as our TV programming"

cdru said:
So is this going to be the non-subscriber "tax" similar to what Cable companies do? "If you don't subscribe to TV we'll charge you an extra $15/month...which just happens to be the same cost as our TV programming"

I guess it would be but keep this in mind for a second.

Right now Verizon offers three internet teirs that can be ordered standalone.

5/2 plan for 45.00/month standalone.
15/2 plan for 50.00/month standalone.
30/5 plan for 200.00/month standalone.

They offer both the TV service and phone service standalone as well for every level of service. Now we look at another option which is their 1.5/768 plan for 15.00/month with TV service with no standalone option. So we must ask ourselves how much it costs to get fiber installed compared to what they would bring in. They are a business and if we want every area to have fiber we should be fair. The fact is at least they offer a 15/2 plan standalone for 50 bucks a month. I can't get those speeds period with Road Runner and I would gladly pay Road Runner 5 bucks a month extra. Now we look at Comcast which charges more than 50 bucks a month standalone for their service which is also by far less than Verizons 15/2 plan. Right now Verizon is the best deal both standalone and with other services.

Also Verizon will also start discounting internet service or TV services if you have a cell phone. So if you currently have a Cell phone with Verizon you soon could get the cheaper price without having TV service. Now when this will occur I don't know but it will occur.

Just some food for thought but again Verizon isn't spending billions to just offer a slow no profit ever speed teir standalone but with TV service along with it they would be glad to offer that to customers because they can at least break even on that in about 5 years.