Verizon in Delaware

jeepwrang3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2006
Elkton, MD
Verizon set to offer cable TV on fiber network
Del. agency to rule today on plan to roll out service in all unincorporated areas
By AARON NATHANS, The News Journal

A Verizon lineman connects fiber-optic cable to a home in North Bellmore, N.Y., last spring. Verizon offers fiber-optic cable service in New York, Virginia and California. The company nationwide has 118,000 fiber-optic cable television customers.

AP file
Verizon could offer cable television to tens of thousands of Delaware households within weeks if a state panel gives the green light today.

The state Public Service Commission is expected to rule this afternoon on Verizon's application for the right to provide cable television to all of Delaware's unincorporated areas.

If it wins approval, the company will gradually roll out television service to areas that already have fiber-optic cable, starting before the end of the year, said William Allan, president of Verizon Delaware.

Verizon's initial plan includes offering service to about 40 percent of the state over a five-year period. The commission staff has recommended approving the application, with a few minor changes. Under that recommendation, if the company wanted to expand its reach, it would not need the commission's approval.

Delaware would become the eighth state to receive Verizon's fiber-optic cable service, called FiOS, currently offered in places including New York, Virginia and California. Verizon nationwide has 118,000 fiber-optic cable television customers.

Verizon, the nation's largest phone company, is working to challenge cable giant Comcast, the dominant force in Delaware cable.

"We're confident once they see the television services we can provide, we're going to be very successful," Allan said of Delaware residents. Like cable companies, the company could offer its "triple play" package, which includes phone and Internet service.

Verizon announced third-quarter results on Monday, earning $1.92 billion, or 66 cents per share. That's up from $1.87 billion, or 68 cents per share, during the same period last year.

Much of that gain was made up on the wireless side. The loss in per-share value came after the company issued more stock in January to pay for its acquisition of MCI's long-distance services.

Earnings were hurt by higher-than-anticipated costs to acquire cable programming, as well as higher marketing costs for television, company officials said. Verizon's stock fell $1.19, or 3 percent, to close at $37.65 Monday.

The PSC action would clear the way for Verizon over the next five years to serve the unincorporated areas of Angola, Dover, Hockessin, Holly Oak, Middletown, Newark, Talleyville, Penn Rose and Wrangle Hill. Some areas, such as Dover, still need to have the right wiring installed. The proposed service area includes about 100,000 households.

The Public Service Commission governs telecommunications in unincorporated areas. Verizon already has received permission to deliver cable television to five incorporated areas of the state: Odessa, Townsend, Delaware City, Bellefonte and Newark. Verizon has not built its network for television in Wilmington.

Comcast and others have criticized Verizon's plan as serving mainly wealthier parts of the state. Verizon has rebutted that claim, adding that it plans to expand its reach, but needs time to undertake a costly construction program to serve those homes.

"We believe they should be required to serve the whole area, and have a specific timetable," said John Lamontagne, spokesman for Comcast.

Staffers for the commission wrote in a report filed last week that Verizon should file reports proving that it is providing service to areas without regard to economic class. Also, it should provide a five-year plan for expanding its video service no less than four years after it begins its service, the staffers wrote.

"Hopefully, the citizens of Delaware will benefit," said Arthur Padmore, the state's public advocate.

He added that he would like to make sure the state holds Verizon to the same standard as Comcast. "I certainly would like to see prices come down, if there is competition between these two giants."
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061031/BUSINESS/610310311/1003

WOOHOO!

Bring on some more HD channels - a better interactive guide - and FIOS may just have me switch from DISH!
Other than the VOOM HD Originals, FiOS TV actually offers two (2) more national HD channels than and Dish Network:

Dish Network offers FoodHD, and HDTV HD
~whereas~
FiOS TV offers WealthTV HD, MTV HD, Cinemax HD, and TMC HD

Additionally, while Dish Network may offer four (4) HD locals in the Metro D.C. area, FiOS TV offers eight (8). Oh, and they HD PQ of FiOS TV cannot be touched by Dish Network these days.

The DVR and Guide being offered by FiOS TV still needs work...

PA Lineup on Website

They added the lineup for Southeast PA on the Verizon website today.

All I can say is WOW. Comcast Sportsnet - in SD AND HD. This lineup is great.

Once they get down to Delaware - hopefully add Food HD and HGTV-HD (like I said before) - I'll be signing up in an instant.

I'm pretty much assuming Northern DE will have the same lineup as Southeast PA. :D

Verizon will launch TV service in parts of Delaware in 2 weeks
By AARON NATHANS, The News Journal

Posted Monday, December 4, 2006 at 10:37 am
Verizon launched its long-awaited TV service in southeastern Pennsylvania today and said it would be available in portions of southern New Castle County in two weeks.

William R. Allan, president of Verizon Delaware, said service would be available in MIddletown, Odessa, Townsend and the Wrangle Hill area. It will be offered early next year in Angola, Hockessin, Newark and areas of northern Wilmington.

Verizon's basic package includes 200 channels for $42.99 a month, including 20 high-definition channels and 4,000 on-demand titles. Additional charges apply for set-top boxes.

The company said it plans to offer video games, home shopping and more international options next year.
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061204/BUSINESS/61204011

Thanks for the heads-up Jeep!

Looks like i'm in the early next year crowd. (Talleyville / North Wilmington).

I was told by a tech that means January.

My parents live just south of the C&D canal and they will be in the first group it seems. I'm just hoping they begin to get Elkton up to speed. Im paying 60bucks for subpar Comcast highspeed.

Is there any word on when this will be avilable in Dover, DE? I have Comcast and personally hate them :)

psumattDE:

I assume that you had your installation by now. How did it go? I live in a development off Foulk road and I called tonight. No service yet in our development but I hope it is soon. Have two HDTVs with a standard signal from Directv. Like Directv but want to try FIOS and get the networked DVR.

psumattDE:

I assume that you had your installation by now. How did it go? I live in a development off Foulk road and I called tonight. No service yet in our development but I hope it is soon. Have two HDTVs with a standard signal from Directv. Like Directv but want to try FIOS and get the networked DVR.

You should really check first. I believe that the Networked DVR capability is not for HD yet.

psumattDE:

Thee-
Hey there! Yes, i'm now up and running in Chalfonte off of Grubb road. The install was partially a nightmare. I was without half of my channels for 3 days from Thursday to Saturday. Turns out I was the first install out of Talleyville (our Central Office) and there was an issue with the fiber. Not until someone else was installed Saturday in the area and ran into the same issue did their Network Operations group figure it out. I then also did not have Video on Demand working. That was finally straightened out by Monday night. Now i've been fine ever since.

The picture quality is really nice. The locals look great, HD is perfect - and the SD channels are slightly better or as good as DISH. And. its nice to have Comcast SportsNet Philly again.

As far as the networked DVR - right now it only works with Standard STB's - not other HD ones. I was set up with a HD-DVR and a HD box, and therefore could not get the networked DVR. I'm not sure if they're going to get that working in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)