Verizon loves Alltel

I have Alltel, I don't know much about Verizon's service because they are not in my area.

I don't any either, I use sprint. I figured it was a pretty big merger though and some co-workers have said they would drop service if they had to go to verizion in this area. Not sure why considering I'm pretty sure the coverage wouldn't decrease.

It would make things interesting in my area as Verizon bought one of our other major carriers, Unicel, last year. Other than Alltel, SoutherLinc (kind of an offshoot of Nextel) is the only other major carrier around town.

Wonder how this will effect Ryan Newmans Alltel Sponsership, you know they had a big beaf then AT&T bought out Cingular. Now they can only have there sponser until the end of this year!

Verizon has the best coverage and reliability from what Ive heard and read, my uncle swears by them and has 5 phones for the whole family, my mother brother and stepfather and a couple dog kin have them to and swear by them as well.

When I researched for a new cell phone company several years ago I discovered Verizon was number one. So switched to them and I have never been more happier with a cell phone company before. Good service, quality signal, good products, etc. I still keep up with them mostly thru comsumer reports and they are still maintaining number one in most cities. If not a close number two. I just wish they had their Fio service in my area. I visit relatives in Tampa every year and they have Verizon Fios to the home. It is awesome.

This deal suck for us sprint users big time.
Alltel and Sprint have*had* evdo roaming agreements. Verizon lets no one roam evdo on their network.

I've had Verizon since before Verizon existed. I started with AirTouch Cellular in 1998 and have had the same service and phone number since. No complaints. Keep in mind Alltel and Verizon use the same CDMA PCS technology and already share networks, therefore, it's less roaming for all.

Verizon has the best coverage and reliability from what Ive heard and read, my uncle swears by them and has 5 phones for the whole family, my mother brother and stepfather and a couple dog kin have them to and swear by them as well.

All depends on where you live. Verizon doesn't have the best coverage in this area.

All depends on where you live. Verizon doesn't have the best coverage in this area.

75 miles to the east of Digi, however, Verizon rules the New Orelans area. I've had VZW since 1999 and they have gotten nothing but better here in the New Orelans area. I have friends with Alltel and ATT that have to use my phone most of the time if we are in a building, or in a remote area. My cell is my ONLY phone, and believe me, if it sucked I would NOT have it.

Only problem with VZW IMO is their equipment selection and their gestapo-like stranglehold on their handsets. Although a few minutes at howardforums can take care of that. :cool:

VZW's software on the phones cripples everything that one might want to use, free, in favor of paying them. No other carrier is so locked down.

Strictly for voice though, VZW is top notch here.

I had Alltel for years and loved it, then last year the company I work for made all of us change to Verizon. So far I have had no problems with coverage and I travel all over the country.

One thing I do not like though, is Verizon locks their phones down so many of the features can't be used. I got the same phone with Verizon I had on Alltel, Motorola Razor. With my Alltel phone I always used Motorola's Phone Tools software to backup my phone, create my own ringtones, etc. No dice with the Verizon Razor, Phone Tools would not even connect to it, phone's display read "illegal connection attempted".

Nothing a couple of pieces of software and a few minutes could not correct. Fortunately, the Razor is one that can be easily "modified". Can't say the same for my GF's LG.

EVERY service has a + or -, but most of the people that hate them because of the "size factor" or because of a bad personal situation that was their own fault yet they wanted the company to kind of look th other way or bend the rules; which they did not and the customers turn into nay saying revenge artists. LOL. The are a well managed, good service , good customer service org with good products. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Wireless#Awards

Last edited:
I've been with AT&T for about 7 years now. They've been great for me, no complaints.

Before I signed up with them, I tested Verizon for about two weeks. Got crappy coverage at home, and it wouldn't work at all in my lab. AT&T worked fine in both places, so they got the nod. Before that was a couple of painful years with T-mobile, preceded by PrimeCo PCS, which ended up becoming Verizon Wireless in most markets.

I now get pretty sizable discounts through my employer, as well as the ability to upgrade/change phones as often as I like, provided I extend my contract each time I do.
I typically go through about 3 to 4 phones a year, then flip them on Ebay when I am done with them. I have a good thing going with AT&T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)