Verizon to get Iphone in 2009-2010?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No doubt, Verizon is more expensive than ATT but the bottom line is it works! It's fast and doesn't fall to pieces when the population density jumps like it did in Vegas during CES. I never lost connection although several days the speed was down to 800kbps. Still good enough to do slingbox all day long.

Currentl;y I'm on EVDO Rewv A at 2.4 Mbps in the sticks in rural PA and will be here for several weeks. I have my laptop with EVDO and it is working fine. Just finished skype video chats with my wife and daughter. I have my XV6800 tethered to me desktop computer and it does Sling box at 1.3 Mbps and I've been watching my Dishnetwork every evening at full screen on a 22" Samsung LCD monitor and it looks great!

So, when the iphone goes to Verizon, you all who can stomach the rates, will have a very fast connection and it will work in most places arounf the country. When I was in Vegas in January, I had excellent connection even out in the desert 200miles from Vegas. IT really surprised me.

I do have a suggestion for Apple for them to stay ahead of the tech curve on this. They need to build one phone with both technologies in so you can switch them as desired. Nobody else is doing that!

I can definitely agree on the AT&T thing falling apart during high population density events. Numerous times I've let someone borrow my phone during college football events, parades, etc, since AT&T users are getting call failed. GSM just wasn't designed to handle that amount of "noise".

Several years ago I read up on the differences in the two technologies, pros and cons, The disadvantage of the CDMA was cost of license and GSM was inability to handle quick shifts in cell activity density per tower. CDMA will expand to a limit then crash but the quality holds during the traffic increase. GSM gradually just gets worse, as you said "noise"

But it still all boils down to what works best for your location and use area. I travel enough to justify a need for wide service coverage. But many places I'm at, the T-mobile is actually better than Verizon and others, ATT is better. But, there are many locations I have service that the others don't have any. I recall when I first switched from T-Mobile to Verizon, I actually ran both services for several months to be sure Verizon was going to handle my needs.

The answer is: NOPE.

From page 33 of "iPhone The Missing Manual" we get "AT&T (formerly Cingular) has the iPhone exclusively at least until 2012."

Yep, they could be wrong. But I think they're a more reliable source than a blogger, or "journalist" reporting rumors.

Yes, he's a NY Times columnist and writer. And CBS news correspondent. He's published several books. It's all in the link. Since many of his books are on Apple products, it's clear he has Apple contacts. Certainly, reporters get it wrong quite often, but I suspect some guy that had the inside contacts to get the info to write these books, also used those contacts to get that timeline. More believable than the bloggers' rumors.

Since it benefits Verizon so much to sow FUD over the iPhone, I can't help but be suspicious of rumors. They can't run down the iPhone much, so perhaps the next best thing is to get people thinking they'll soon have that option with Verizon, and not jump ship.

You might want to peruse the first part of that book, where they talk about Apple wanting a GSM carrier so they could sell essentially the same phone worldwide. And how AT&T was willing to give total control over the phone's design to Apple- usually the cell phone companies tell the cell phone manufacturers what features to include. They both get a lot of what they want out of it. I'm sure AT&T wanted to ensure as long an exclusive contract as possible. And in exchange gave up the total control they usually exert.

Yes, he's a NY Times columnist and writer. And CBS news correspondent. He's published several books. It's all in the link. Since many of his books are on Apple products, it's clear he has Apple contacts. Certainly, reporters get it wrong quite often, but I suspect some guy that had the inside contacts to get the info to write these books, also used those contacts to get that timeline. More believable than the bloggers' rumors.

Since it benefits Verizon so much to sow FUD over the iPhone, I can't help but be suspicious of rumors. They can't run down the iPhone much, so perhaps the next best thing is to get people thinking they'll soon have that option with Verizon, and not jump ship.

You might want to peruse the first part of that book, where they talk about Apple wanting a GSM carrier so they could sell essentially the same phone worldwide. And how AT&T was willing to give total control over the phone's design to Apple- usually the cell phone companies tell the cell phone manufacturers what features to include. They both get a lot of what they want out of it. I'm sure AT&T wanted to ensure as long an exclusive contract as possible. And in exchange gave up the total control they usually exert.

Did it talk about how Verizon was also given a shot at the iphone and turned it down in the book?

Verizon passed up Apple iPhone deal

Seems to me Apple didnt want just a GSM carrier, but a large carrier to sell their product...thats what makes sense to me and apple trying to get their phone in as many hands as possible makes sense, I am sure there was Some sort of exclusivity, but not until 2012 I just cant believe they would wait that long, because they know products like the pre would come out and compete with their phone. Also Verizon has really let the reins go on control over products in their line, and I believe will make great strides this year in the smartphone market of less control (i.e. opening gps up in new devices.)

Well, that's certainly "more of the story." But it makes it seem even less likely that Verizon and Apple will reach a deal.

However, I agree - 2012 does seem a bit excessive, just as 2009 seems way too short.

We will see. The iPhone does almost everything I want, and competition will no doubt drive improvements for all.

Well, that's certainly "more of the story." But it makes it seem even less likely that Verizon and Apple will reach a deal.

However, I agree - 2012 does seem a bit excessive, just as 2009 seems way too short.

We will see. The iPhone does almost everything I want, and competition will no doubt drive improvements for all.

I totally agree with this, do I think that Verizon will get the iphone, its a very real possibility but who knows, I do know that apple has been looking for CDMA programmers,..but rumors are always fun to talk about.

Thanks to DefDude who found this on USA Today and posted it in another thread. But from this article it says that AT&T has an exclusive for 5 years. So I guess this rumor can be put to bed.

AT&T eager to wield its iWeapon - USATODAY.com

The Apple iPhone, due out next month, has been breathlessly hailed as offering consumers the ultimate wireless experience.

It also could give AT&T, its exclusive U.S. distributor, the ultimate experience for a wireless carrier: an easy way to handcuff rivals and steal customers.

AT&T has exclusive U.S. distribution rights for five years — an eternity in the go-go cellphone world. And Apple is barred for that time from developing a version of the iPhone for CDMA wireless networks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)