Verizon's FIOS completes Scripps deal! Includes MTVHD, HGTV-HD & FOOD NETWORK HD!

Smthkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
ATLANTA
Verizon Completes MTV, Scripps Deals

Verizon Communications Inc. announced wide-ranging programming deals with MTV Networks and Scripps Networks last week for its FiOS TV rollout.

Verizon will carry all MTVN and Black Entertainment Television networks, including recently launched Logo and MTV Desi. The list includes BET, BET Jazz, BET Gospel, Country Music Television, Comedy Central, MTV: Music Television, MTV2, MTV Hits, MTV Jams, MTV Español, Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite, Nick 2, Nicktoons, GAS: Nickelodeon Games and Sports, Noggin/The N, Spike TV, TV Land, VH1, VH1 Classic, VH1 Country, VH1 Soul and VH Uno. MTV’s new HDTV channel is also part of the deal.

Also included in the deal are MTVN’s video-on-demand content and its digital-audio radio channels, as well as MTV.com’s MTV Overdrive ( www.mtv.com/overdrive ) and Nick.com’s TurboNick ( www.nick.com/turbonick/index.jhtml ) content.

With Scripps, Verizon will carry Home & Garden Television, Food Network, Do It Yourself, Fine Living, Great American Country and Shop at Home on its newly launched FiOS TV service in Keller, Texas.

The affiliation deal also covers the 2006 launch of HGTV-HD and Food Network-HD, as well as VOD content and retransmission consent for Scripps Broadcasting’s ABC affiliates.

The MTV-HD is news to me. My only question is why waist the time, money and bandwidth on the teen-20s crowd, which really does not appreciate HD :confused:

if i remember corretly, the foodtv and hgtv would share a channel. i remember hearing about the announcment of mtvhd a while ago.

korsjs said:
if i remember corretly, the foodtv and hgtv would share a channel. i remember hearing about the announcment of mtvhd a while ago.
Based on this article below HGTVHD and FOODNETWORK HD has always planned to be separate channels: http://www.denverpost.com/technology/ci_2922114

Local TV firm milks HD
High Noon Entertainment, which produces shows for HGTV and Food Network, is upgrading its studios for high-definition work.
By Kimberly S. Johnson
Denver Post Staff Writer

With the Food Network and Home and Garden TV expected to expand into the high-definition arena next year, a local production company is poised to benefit.

Littleton-based High Noon Entertainment, which produces three shows for Home and Garden TV and two for the Food Network, is in the process of making its studios capable of shooting and editing footage in high-definition.

Among the company's better known shows are "Unwrapped" and "If Walls Could Talk."

"We are putting news out about High Noon's high-definition facilities," said Jennifer Vogelmann, spokeswoman for High Noon Entertainment.

Earlier this year, the Scripps Network, operators of the Food Network and Home and Garden TV, announced plans to roll out two new high-definition channels, Food Network HD and HGTV HD, in 2006.
High Noon Entertainment operates out of the Comcast Media Center, which is fully equipped to produce television shows in high-definition.

High Noon Entertainment was founded in 1996 by four former KUSA journalists as three separate companies. The privately held companies merged in June under the name High Noon.

The company employs 150 workers in Littleton and 25 in a Los Angeles office. It has produced more than 1,500 hours of programming.

In March, the Food Network reached 87 million homes and HGTV reached 88 million.

Staff writer Kimberly S. Johnson can be reached at 303-820-1088 or kjohnson@denverpost.com.

yanks2402 said:
The MTV-HD is news to me. My only question is why waist the time, money and bandwidth on the teen-20s crowd, which really does not appreciate HD :confused:

Why waste money on HGTV or Food network - the 60's crowd has such bad vision that they can't appreciate HD.... Your above statement is foolish. :D

rtt2 said:
To get the women to adopt HDTV.

You know, there's a lot of truth in this. I think the adoption of HDTV would be greatly accelerated if the HDTV manufacturers would change the marketing to target women. Think about it. How many men actually need to be sold on HDTV. They all want it. The biggest hurdles are: 1) Cost and 2) Wife Acceptance Factor, not necessarily in that order. Let's face it. Most of the people that can afford a $2000-$3000 outlay for a TV set are going to be people in their 30's and 40's. And most of these people are going to be married (or broke from a divorce, and therefore not a target anyway).

yanks2402 said:

Reasons? Sources? Or just uninformed opinion stated as fact?

I've been studying and following HDTV for about 19 years. I'm 34 now. I remember when HDTV was going to be analog. I remember reading about the launches in Japan. I remember when IDTV (Improved Definition) was going to be the big stepping stone to get everyone hooked on HDTV. We were all going to have widescreen sets by 1994.

Admittedly, I'm a video geek. Video became my business and career. But to say that younger people aren't interested is absurd. Young people are the ones spending all their money on tripped out stereo systems and other hi-tech gadgets. Young people are going to drive BluRay sales, because every PlayStation 3 is going to have a player built in.

Meanwhile, older people are buying RF modulators to hook up the DVD players they got for Christmas, because their TVs still have only F connectors. Am I stereotyping? Of course, but to prove a point.

Older people have been driving HDTV for a while, because it's been so expensive up until recently. But an HD-Ready set can be had for a little over $500 now. When I was 22, I had a $500 TV, and a $50 a month cable bill.

Maybe they haven't seemed interested, because all HD has to offer is marine biology documentaries, old movies, Phil Collins concerts, and (yawn) baseball. Show them Beyonce's tush in HD and they'll take notice. :D

And you spelled waste wrong.

M Sparks said:
Reasons? Sources? Or just uninformed opinion stated as fact?
When I said "My only question" that represents my opinion as stated in the form of a question using the keyword MY.

And the fact is, most teenagers do not care about HD, you might have but if you ask the vast majority of teens out there what high definition is, they will not know. Mind you, when they are at home with mommy and daddy, who have the expensive gadgets, that is one thing, but for the MAJORITY of the younger set to care or really desire an HDTV is absurd.

And since my mis-spelling has been there for almost a month, I don't think it warranted any special attention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)