Versus and Golf HD get their own channel, and E! HD on the way

G4 and Versus? Okay, but not mainline or big time.
Fitzie

The Stanley Cup playoffs had the HIGHEST ratings in Versus AND NHL history this year. Tell me that versus isn't mainline. Also throughout the year the NHL rating were near or above historic levels. So whomever (and I'm not singleing you out there are others here) thinks that Versus is not mainline should check the facts. Also (not that I care, but) the MMA is HUGE is America now days. Everyone loves watching idiots beat up idiots, but to the point, MMA IS mainline. So 2 of (and almost 80-90%) of Versus' programming IS mainline.

The Stanley Cup playoffs had the HIGHEST ratings in Versus AND NHL history this year. Tell me that versus isn't mainline. Also throughout the year the NHL rating were near or above historic levels. So whomever (and I'm not singleing you out there are others here) thinks that Versus is not mainline should check the facts. Also (not that I care, but) the MMA is HUGE is America now days. Everyone loves watching idiots beat up idiots, but to the point, MMA IS mainline. So 2 of (and almost 80-90%) of Versus' programming IS mainline.

Big is when your sport appears on the 4 letter and huge is when it's carried regularly on one of the three letter broadcasters.

More popular than ever before? Sure. Big or even mainline? Not really.

Big is when your sport appears on the 4 letter and huge is when it's carried regularly on one of the three letter broadcasters.

More popular than ever before? Sure. Big or even mainline? Not really.

So since the NHL has shown multiple games this year (with more next year) on NBC, it's huge then.

And since it's played in more countries than (american) Football, that makes it huge also.

BTW Versus is 6 letters not 4 or even VS is 2, not 4.

If you're talking about what is huge in other countries (such as Germany, Argentina, Spain, etc.) you're really talking about soccer. If you're talking about what's huge in the US, you're talking about American football, both NFL and college.

"Three letters" describes ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC. "Four letters" describes ESPN. Versus and Oxygen and Sleuth and Military and Geography (etc etc etc) describe "niche." Any one-note channel (single purpose) that I'm aware of (including Golf) is niche. I do think that Versus has hope for the future, but the word "versus" means this against that, them against us, me against you, ... definitely single note.

That's what is so great about having 200 or 300 channels of TV. Whatever you want, there it is; I just want all 200 or 300 channels in HD.

Have a good one guys and gals.
Fitzie

Not going to argue, it's stupid. But 2 things, 1: I DID say (American) football, reread it. 2: Versus is a big channel, and Gold is a BIG channel with rich old people. Not worth arguing ALL channels should be HD and no channels should have to share feeds.

So since the NHL has shown multiple games this year (with more next year) on NBC, it's huge then.

And since it's played in more countries than (american) Football, that makes it huge also.

BTW Versus is 6 letters not 4 or even VS is 2, not 4.
I admire your spirit! but your numbers just don't add up. Fitzie explained it. When Hockey left ESPN they lost over half their viewers. Now I understand that the gamble is probably a good one and VS will become a more watched channel, but right now, it's just not the same as ESPN or even a CW Network. NHL Hockey at least got their post season on a network to boost their numbers to almost what the NBA sees on a regular basis.

Curling is played in more countries than NFL football but that doesn't make it huge.

Any sport that is part of your life is huge, to you. Any time we can get ANY sport in HD with little commercial interruption, THAT's also huge. I really think HD helps Hockey as a tv sport and I like to watch it myself.

I hope Versus does succeed in the long run but let's not get carried away. They have a ways to go yet and we need to promote the channel and give it our realistic support. They get my attention every weekend for PBR.

:)

Huge hockey fan, but even I can see that moving to Versus was a detriment to the game. Hockey is on the cusp of becoming irrelevant as a national sport and a "big 4" by sliding into the "futbol/soccer" and "tennis" tier of cable only (except playoffs & majors). If you listen to those that follow the NBA they actually believe it will happen to that sport as well and the NBA is MUCH more popular nationally than hockey.

Fact is the market is shifting to more targeted channels with targeted programing and all sports (save the NFL) are headed to their own niche spot in the near-medium term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)