Versus Removed Sept 1 from DirecTV

Do you think they will get a deal done?

• Yes they Will before 9/1

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Yes they will, but after 9/1 but before 9/12

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • yes they will, but after 9/12 but in time for nhl season.

Votes: 94 42.5%
  • no they won't

Votes: 68 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mariah2014

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Somewhere in Washington
DIRECTV: Versus on DIRECTV
Versus on DIRECTV

You may have seen a message on your TV screen saying that you may no longer receive the Versus channel after August 31, 2009. DIRECTV is in contract negotiations with Versus and we're making every effort to keep the channel on the air without interruption.
For more information, please read our FAQs below.
On-Screen message says I may lose Versus. Why?
We're in contract negotiations with Versus. The contract doesn't expire until August 31, 2009, so you'll continue to receive the channel from DIRECTV until then.
What happens if you can't reach an agreement?
We hope to reach an agreement prior to the expiration of the contract, but if we don't Versus may be removed from DIRECTV.
If Versus is taken down for any period of time, how will DIRECTV make up for the loss?
We're working hard to keep Versus on the air, but if Versus comes down, we will communicate with you and do what we can to ensure your continued satisfaction and loyalty until the matter is resolved. We will continue to negotiate with Versus to resolve this matter. In the meantime, you'll still be able to watch college football on Big Ten Network, The Mtn., ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN GamePlan, local channels and your RSN. NHL games are available on NHL Network, NHL Center Ice, and your RSN. MMA is available on HDNet and Spike TV, IRL on ABC, and Professional Bull Riding on ESPN2.
What's keeping you from reaching an agreement?
Versus is asking for terms which do not reflect the market and which they are not asking of all other distributors. DIRECTV wants to keep your monthly fees low, so it's doing everything it can to avoid paying exorbitant programming fees.
Should I switch to DISH or cable?
No. There's no need to consider switching providers. We're working to continue negotiations and provide uninterrupted service for our customers. DIRECTV has the best variety of exclusive and premium content available anywhere and we have similar programming on other channels (see above).
Is this all just so DIRECTV can save money?
Not at all, this is about DIRECTV getting treated fairly and not wanting to pass on high programming fees to our customers.

I didn't know Chuck ran Direct also!!

Wow. Just before college football season.

Is there College football on VS ?
I thought it was basically HOCKEY and other assorted stuff.

IF D* doesn't get the contract settled with them and the Hockey season starts and the game you would get is on VS and NOT your RSN due to contract, would they turn the game on , on your RSN because of this ?

Jimbo

IF D* doesn't get the contract settled with them and the Hockey season starts and the game you would get is on VS and NOT your RSN due to contract, would they turn the game on , on your RSN because of this ?

Jimbo

Yes. PAC 10 and another conference. I think it is the same that BYU is in. Is this the SWAC??

Pretty good hd pq. I wish ESPN hd looked as good.

Yes. PAC 10 and another conference. I think it is the same that BYU is in. Is this the SWAC??

Pretty good hd pq. I wish ESPN hd looked as good.

No the SWAC features mostly historically black schools in the central South (LA, MS, AL).

BYU is in the Mountain West. I think I've seen WAC and Conference USA games on Versus, too.

yes i think cfb on versus was mostly mwc, but that has to change as mwc ha its own channel so i expect to see lots of wac games on versus

Jimbo
No. Versus games are exclusive, and on Tuesdays no US-based RSN can show a game that starts the same time as the game on Versus. So your options are:
1. Dish
2. Cable
3. Canadian (grey market) satellite
4. FIOS (if they carry Center Ice)
IIRC, when Dish and Versus has their fight back in 2005, Dish customers went without national NHL coverage for almost a full season.

BTW, Versus also carries the Indy Racing League. Another instance of an organization looking for a payday, as opposed to growing the product with availability.

No. Versus games are exclusive, and on Tuesdays no US-based RSN can show a game that starts the same time as the game on Versus. So your options are:
1. Dish
2. Cable
3. Canadian (grey market) satellite
4. FIOS (if they carry Center Ice)
IIRC, when Dish and Versus has their fight back in 2005, Dish customers went without national NHL coverage for almost a full season.

BTW, Versus also carries the Indy Racing League. Another instance of an organization looking for a payday, as opposed to growing the product with availability.

And to think ,VS was nothing a few short years ago and now they are next to nothing and demanding contracts.

I normally will watch my games on networks OTHER than VS if possible, but there are times when the Wings are NOT on the RSN because of VS contracts, being blacked out due to it, it would be nice to see them open up the RSN if this conflict were to accure , I know this would be a league call, I doubt that D* would be the one to make the call, it would have to go thru the league first.

Wow, Directs press release is exactly what Dish says when they have these disputes.

Maybe Charlie isn't lying all of the time.

Here, let me fix it so we can bash Dish for another programing dispute instead.

What's keeping you from reaching an agreement?
Versus is asking for terms which do not reflect the market and which they are not asking of all other distributors. DISH wants to keep your monthly fees low, so it's doing everything it can to avoid paying exorbitant programming fees.
Is this all just so DISH can save money?
Not at all, this is about DISH getting treated fairly and not wanting to pass on high programming fees to our customers.

Its almost like being in the E* forum:p

I am thinking they will get it worked out, still plenty of time.

Ever since John Malone(Liberty Media) took over DirecTV they have operated just like Charlie and Dish.Maybe even worse as DirecTV got rid of the R22s making Dish's 625 the better DVR.:rant:

If Rupert Murdoch was still top stockholder and Chase Carey was still CEO I don't believe we would be seeing this crap!.:rant:

I will be a pissed off customer if they don't have Versus on day 1 of hockey when the Wings play in Sweden.

That said, generally DirecTV reolves these disputes without losing the channel. The only reason they did a PR is because Versus added a message to the channel (my guess anyway).

agreed, This does remind me back to those TCI days. I don't expect a deal before November. If I remember right Dish Network had a dispute over this station right after hockey was put on it. I suspect that they are wanting one or both of these two things. ESPN like rights fee and or being dropped down to the choice package. Considering how deals with comcast take forever, I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.
You never had TCI cable I guess

I will be a pissed off customer if they don't have Versus on day 1 of hockey when the Wings play in Sweden.

That said, generally DirecTV reolves these disputes without losing the channel. The only reason they did a PR is because Versus added a message to the channel (my guess anyway).

You maybe right,but doing this makes DirecTV look just like Dish.Dang I miss Chase Carey already.What a bunch of numbnuts.:rant:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)