Versus Removed Sept 1 from DirecTV

Do you think they will get a deal done?

• Yes they Will before 9/1

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Yes they will, but after 9/1 but before 9/12

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • yes they will, but after 9/12 but in time for nhl season.

Votes: 94 42.5%
  • no they won't

Votes: 68 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
VS Network Offically off ait 8/31 22:00MT

It is offical got word less then 30 minutes ago.

DTV Management saying VS will be pulled as of 22:00 Mountian Time.

If I remember correctly, when VS came on board, comcast held out on them and did not allow the HD feed for a long time as well.
It's not like comcast has played nicely and D* is just now getting screwwed, it's been happening since the station came on line...

How long is the VS / NHL contract ?
Could the NHL move to another channel on D* till it's resolved.

What has the NHL's response to all of this been ?
just give us TSN some of the VS stuff is just the TSN feed.

Ya, there ya go, give us TSN on D* !

As a hockey fan I think most of us would rather have TSN anyways, or even CBC's (what use to be CBC's) Hockey Night in Canada :up

Hockey and the WEC make Versus a "must have" channel. Of course, it's only "must have" less than 2% of the time because they broadcast so few live NHL games and new WEC fights. OK, 3% if you consider their Tour de France coverage. However, this is 100% must have channels for all U.S. Residents come the Stanley Cup Finals.

It is offical got word less then 30 minutes ago.

DTV Management saying VS will be pulled as of 22:00 Mountian Time.

I sure hope they come to terms here, VS is a good channel with several sports, and HAS significantly grown their content in the past couple years.

They are showing more and more football, 2-3 hockey games a week, etc.

It's at 603 because Directv targeted the sports in the low 600s, before the RSNs.

Recently they started moving to the 214-219 range when NFL got their own channel, followed by NHL, then MLB, and recently NBA reached an agreement to be moved to the 210's and a lower package.

219 would be a very good place for Versus, along with a change to the Choice package.

It's at 603 because Directv targeted the sports in the low 600s, before the RSNs.

Recently they started moving to the 214-219 range when NFL got their own channel, followed by NHL, then MLB, and recently NBA reached an agreement to be moved to the 210's and a lower package.

219 would be a very good place for Versus, along with a change to the Choice package.

They should move CBS college sports down there too since it part of Choice Xtra

So many people totally miss those channels because ther up in the 600s

I like soccer but because FSC is up in the 600s i forget about it ( Fox Soccer Channel)

what package is NBATV in btw? I don't have it with Choice Xtra

Eh, I guess it was the same thing with E* when I was a sub(had Gold 250 and Platinum for NBATV). Any chance that D* will lower package to that with NHL, MLB, and NFL now that Versus is leaving?

Just got this from a contact at DirecTV...

As you are probably aware, it is possible that DIRECTV will lose Versus at midnight eastern time tonight. If this is the case, a slide will be on the channel saying so. If it does happen and you receive calls from customers, here is a prepared statement and Q&A from DIRECTV.

DORIS
Versus is no longer available on DIRECTV.
Talking Points:
Visit directv.com/versus for all the latest information.
We know how important Versus is to our customers.
We offered Versus a fair deal they would not accept.
We’re doing everything possible to keep prices low for our customers.
There isn’t anything you need to do.

DORIS and dotcom FAQ
Comcast, the largest cable company in the U.S. owns Versus. They regularly try to charge us amounts well in excess of what is fair and reasonable to carry the programming they own. Their reason is obvious: they want to stifle competition from DIRECTV. Comcast's unfair terms undermines DIRECTV's ability to offer our customers the best possible value. If we simply accept these terms, we would have to absorb the unreasonable costs Comcast wants to charge us, and in turn we will be forced to increase the rates our customers pay. We do not want this to happen. In fact, Comcast has forced us to remove Versus because we would not accept the terms they demanded.

We are currently in contract negotiations and will continue to work with Comcast until this matter is resolved. Rest assured that we are making every effort to ensure that you continue to be satisfied with your service.

Q. On-air message says Versus is not available. Why?
Our contract with Comcast expired August 31 and we were unable to reach agreement on a renewal. Comcast was not only demanding renewal terms that did not reflect market value for the channel but also demanding carriage terms that were discriminatory. Comcast forced us to drop Versus unless we agreed to their unreasonable terms.

Q. With Versus no longer available, how will DIRECTV make up for the loss?
We will communicate with you and do what we can to ensure your continued satisfaction and loyalty until the matter is resolved. We will continue to negotiate with Comcast to resolve this matter. In the meantime, you’ll still be able to watch plenty of similar sports programming on other channels we carry.
College football – available on Big Ten Network, CBS College Sports, ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN GamePlan, The Mtn., local channels and your RSN.
NHL - available on NHL Network, NHL Center Ice, and your RSN.
Mixed Martial Arts - available on HDNet, Spike TV, and UFC on DIRECTV Pay-Per-View.
Auto Racing – IRL on ABC, Formula 1 on Fox and Speed.
Bull riding – available on ESPN2 and the Houston Rodeo on DIRECTV Pay-Per-View.
Hunting and fishing – available on ESPN2, The Sportsman Channel, The Outdoor Channel, and Pursuit TV.

Q. What’s keeping you from reaching an agreement?
Comcast is asking for terms which do not reflect the market and which they are not asking of all other distributors. They claim their offer is status quo when in reality, they are asking for almost a 20% increase in fees. DIRECTV wants to keep your monthly fees low, so it’s doing everything it can to avoid paying exorbitant programming fees.

Q. Should I switch to DISH or cable?
No. There’s no need to consider switching providers. DIRECTV has the best variety of exclusive and premium content available anywhere and we have similar programming on other channels (see above). If you are concerned about NHL, we still have time to negotiate with Comcast before the start of the NHL season. For PBR fans, we offered to carry PBR programming, but PBR events are exclusive to Versus and cannot be made available to DIRECTV.

Q. Is this all just so DIRECTV can save money?
Not at all, this is about DIRECTV getting treated fairly and not wanting to pass on high programming fees to our customers.

Eh, I guess it was the same thing with E* when I was a sub(had Gold 250 and Platinum for NBATV). Any chance that D* will lower package to that with NHL, MLB, and NFL now that Versus is leaving?

Actually D* struck a deal last April to move NBA TV to the Choice Xtra package at the start of this upcoming NBA season

NBA TV Scores Multiyear Distribution Deal With DirecTV - 2009-04-16 16:30:03 | Multichannel News

The agreement, terms of which were not disclosed, will see NBA TV move to DirecTV's Choice Xtra package from its Premier Package and Sports Pack, tipping off with the 2009-10 NBA season next fall. As such NBA TV will be moved to channel 216 from channel 601 as part of the extended partnership, which should result in it being available to an additional 8 million DirecTV homes.

I have no idea what versus charges in their existing agreement, but lets use an example:

25 center per sub (just an example).

They are asking for 30 cents per sub instead of 25.

You mean to tell me that all the added programming since the last contract isn't worth that small an amount. Even if my numbers are half, we're talking a DIME per sub.

It gets even worse - this isn't per ALL directv subscribers, just those with Choice Extra. I'd say that less than 50% pay for the Xtra package over the standard choice package.

That would mean for an example, lets say 9 million.

If my math is right we're talking about $5 Million dollars a year?

Doesn't seem like too much, 20%?

Guess it just depends on which side you fall on as to which group is unresonable.
Personally I'd like to see them pay less per subscriber and move it to the Choice package so more people get it.

I have no idea what versus charges in their existing agreement, but lets use an example:

25 center per sub (just an example).

They are asking for 30 cents per sub instead of 25.

You mean to tell me that all the added programming since the last contract isn't worth that small an amount. Even if my numbers are half, we're talking a DIME per sub.

It gets even worse - this isn't per ALL directv subscribers, just those with Choice Extra. I'd say that less than 50% pay for the Xtra package over the standard choice package.

That would mean for an example, lets say 9 million.

If my math is right we're talking about $5 Million dollars a year?

Doesn't seem like too much, 20%?

Guess it just depends on which side you fall on as to which group is unresonable.
Personally I'd like to see them pay less per subscriber and move it to the Choice package so more people get it.
:up:up:up

No. Versus games are exclusive, and on Tuesdays no US-based RSN can show a game that starts the same time as the game on Versus. So your options are:
1. Dish
2. Cable
3. Canadian (grey market) satellite
4. FIOS (if they carry Center Ice)
IIRC, when Dish and Versus has their fight back in 2005, Dish customers went without national NHL coverage for almost a full season.

BTW, Versus also carries the Indy Racing League. Another instance of an organization looking for a payday, as opposed to growing the product with availability.
can the blackhawks have there games on wgn 9 only? at the same time as VS?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Still doing HR10-250 to HD-DVR for free?

NFL TIC and TP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)