VERY frustrated with Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

macfisto2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Hello,

I have been a Directv subscriber for over 3 years now, and have been very happy with the service until about a month ago. We just moved from Indianapolis, IN to Louisville, KY and utilized the Movers Connection to install a new dish, etc. We have a standard def DVR in our family room and a standard receiver in our bedroom. Ever since the service was installed, we have had constant problems with the service in our bedroom. Nearly every day we have to re-boot the receiver because all channels are muted and the guide is inoperable (reads "program unavailable"). Sometimes it will be "Acquiring Data" when we turn on the TV, but it never actually aquires anything until we reboot the receiver. We are fairly certain the problem does not lie with the receiver as we have switched in a different one and the same problems occur. Anyway, we have had two Directv technicians come out to take a look and nobody seems to be able to identify the problem. Needless to say, having to reboot the receiver every day and then having to wait five minutes before we're able to watch TV is not our cup of tea. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

One question - triple lnb dish? The new phase 3 has a built in multiswitch. Especially if you've had the boxes swapped out, that would be the first place I would look.

Was new cable ran to each reciever or was house cable used??

There have been a bunch of cases of the phase 3 not being installed right or just bad and it has blown. This happened to my brother at least twice. At least with D* they always serviced it for free and always gave him program credits and free showtimes etc...

Yeah, it is a triple LNB -- that's needed to receive locals in my area. Do you think the dish itself may need to be replaced? New cable was run so I know that shouldn't be the problem. Thanks.

LNB could be the problem, however I would also check the connection on the new cable. a common problem when new cable is installed is a piece of braid touching the center conductor. This will create an intermittent short on the line and cause random signal loss, and can cause the receiver to act up, due to the fact it passes power and now it shorts out.

Yeah - would be a good place to check. I would also power down both receivers for a while (to power off the switch in the dish) and see if it helps. (Make sure all receivers / switches hooked to the dish are powered down)

What is the center conductor?? Would I find this by the receiver or the dish?? Thanks.

Oh sorry, the tips that are on your wire ( the end you connect to the receiver, switch, and LNB ) when you unscrew the tip, the center conductor is the copper needle looking stinger. Unscrew the tip off the receiver, the ground block, dish lnb.. I would only concern yourself with the wire you are having problems. Once you unscrew the tip look inside and see if you notice anything touching the needle.. you do not want any silver braiding touching the needle.

I'm sorry......I guess I could have figured that out myself :). You've been very helpful -- thanks!

One other question -- how do I know if I have a "phase 3" dish? Thanks.

Thanks for all your help. I just set up an appointment for Directv to come out and replace the LNB's. Hopefully that will help. One other question though -- would it be possible that older receivers have compatibility issues or anything like that? The two receivers I have used are Panasonics that were probably made in 2001. I am having the same problem with each receiver. Could the receivers simply be too old?

No, all recievers work with all sats, with the exception of the 72.5 setup

macfisto2 said:
Thanks for all your help. I just set up an appointment for Directv to come out and replace the LNB's. Hopefully that will help. One other question though -- would it be possible that older receivers have compatibility issues or anything like that? The two receivers I have used are Panasonics that were probably made in 2001. I am having the same problem with each receiver. Could the receivers simply be too old?

Ill be honest.. sounds like a cable problem if a reboot temporarily cures it... maybe even a drop of condensation getting in a connector. Or it could be the LNB... my first one started acting up recently and i called direct to send a new one and they did... and yes if you are in louisville you have a Phase 3 dish.

I stand corrected I was stating for the standard all will work except the 72.5... there was no need to go in to the 95 or anything else for this situation....

Indianapolis locals are on 101. Louisville locals are on 119 and require an elliptical dish with at least two lnbs.

It could be your receivers. Panasonic, as I recalled, were made for them by RCA and were not DirecTV +plus receivers. They may be capable for only one satellite position. If you go to the set up menu, and there is no option to select round or elliptical dish, your receiver is not capable of receiving Sat B at 119 or 72.5. You need to replace the receivers. They can be had to $50 for $50 each at either Circuit City or Best Buy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts