Very High Wind problems with Dish

blanquitoman1984

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Fontana, CA
I turned on my tv sunday morning and nothing. I looked outside and the dish was down. No wonder we had 50 - 70 mph winds the night before, and have continued till today. Any suggestions that could help me, so that I do not have wind problems. I thought about telling the installer to install it on one side of the chimney so when the wind blows the chimney would make the wind go around the satellite dish. What do you think any suggestions? By the way service down on sunday morn. help coming til tuesday morn. P. s. the winds blow from north to south. dish pointing south.

Hmm...north to south...your best bet is to have some kind of barrier on the north end of it. Like mount it on the south side of the chimney.

However, I have to say I've never seen a Dish blow down. Makes me wonder if it was mounted correctly in the first place.

Hmm...north to south...your best bet is to have some kind of barrier on the north end of it. Like mount it on the south side of the chimney.

However, I have to say I've never seen a Dish blow down. Makes me wonder if it was mounted correctly in the first place.

That's what I was thinking the chimney would serve as a barrier because it is wide enough the the wind does not affect the dish.

That's the same that I thought It was only screwed in using two screws on the Facia of the house. But I think that even if it had four screw I could still not see tv with the dish moving so much. I think the dish was just flimsy because it was dancing all over the place with the wind. I think best bet would be on the south side of the chimny.

If it only had two screws then thats your problem twice, using screws is a no no as the installer is supposed to use lag bolts and there is supposed to be six of them holding it down when its mounted to a structure other than a pole mount. If you still want the dish protected from wind then have it moved to the south side of the house somewhere other than the chimney if possible. New chimney's are fine to mount to but if its an old home then depending on what the chimney is made of it could be a bad idea to mount to due to deterioration of building materials.

The chimney thing, is exactly what the installer said. So he mounted it using the facia pointing to the west with 6 lag nuts and added some extra to make it strong.

I turned on my tv sunday morning and nothing. I looked outside and the dish was down. No wonder we had 50 - 70 mph winds the night before, and have continued till today.

Ugh I feel your pain. I had the same thing happen this weekend. I'm still waiting on a dish installer to come out to re-point and mount my now-down dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)