Very new to all this HD and PVR stuff...question

G

Original poster
Ok, I'm about to sign up for installation that includes the 811 (for the HD right) and the 510 (dvr).

I've heard the 921 is coming out and does both including recording HD programming but they probably won't be giving these away (I'll be a new subscriber)

I dont understand how these will be hooked up, they both do what they do (record and produce HD) but arent they both recievers.

Is it like this ...Sat - 811- 510 - TV?

thanks in advance.

yea, those are 2 different receivers. So you can have 2 TV's hooked up. one hooked up to the 510 and one hooked up to the 811 or 921 which ever HD receiver you choose.

I don't think that they will be giving away the 921 anytime soon. They will probably have a pretty good deal on them for new subscribers though. They are not out yet so you will have to wait for the 921 to come out first.

Thanks for replying.

Just to clarify, I'll want the 811 and the pvr on the same tv, does this work?

I guess it could work, you would need 3 cables coming from the switch and you need a way of switching between satellite tuners (811 and 921) on your TV.

Yes you can have both hooked up to your TV, if your TV supports the proper inputs. I have both the 508 and 6000 connected to my TV now. You'll need an HD input, either component or DVI for the 811 and an S-Video input for the 510.

Aquacure you know you can't record the HD from the 811 on the 510? The diagram 811-510-tv suggest you are thinking of a VCR which the 510 definitely is not.

FWIW, you can always pipe the RF output of the 508 into the antenna input of your 811/6000/921 and input a local channel 3 and tune to it and then all of your 508 material will be upconverted for HD viewing by your receiver.

Doesn't the 811 have external inputs for other devices or am I still dreaming?

FWIW, you can always pipe the RF output of the 508 into the antenna input of your 811/6000/921 and input a local channel 3 and tune to it and then all of your 508 material will be upconverted for HD viewing by your receiver.

DarrellP, I read the above info and I am quite intrigued by it. I have just recently upgraded to a 6000 and a 510, both at the same TV. If what I am thinking is correct, you mean to hook the standard output coax from the 510 to the OTA antenna addon card that my OTA antenna hooks to? Do you lose the OTA antenna ability? Is the upconverted signal worth losing the S-video output that I now have? Is this really worth doing?

Yes I'm aware that the 811 will not record H.D., I just wanted the 811 to record the SD. I didnt want to waste an input on my tv by hooking up both tuners so I thought I could piggyback.

After talking to the company today they suggested I wait for the 921 and see what deal is offered. The girl said it should be a pretty good one for new installs. But since the demand will be so high I'm not getting my hopes up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)