Very satisfied Dish Hopper customer (switched from Comcast)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jinboman

Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Colorado
I wanted to post our positive experience for others considering Dish. Unlike many posters on this site with glitches, issues, etc, I've been pleasantly surprised at how reliable and useful our service has been for the past month since we started. (Knock on wood!!) I looked over this forum before deciding to switch from Comcast after being on their Triple Play program for about 3 years. Cost containment was the main reason, but learning about the new Hopper/Joey made me think it made sense and be a big technological upgrade for our household. (We're paying about $80 less/month for TV/internet bundle--at least for this first year.) We only have one Hopper on a large HD TV in the family room and a Joey hooked up to a smaller HD screen in the living room and I'm amazed at the capacity. We have PTA running (to get Olympics coverage) and have over 103 other recordings (mostly movies with some multiple series--all in HD) and we're still only at 41% capacity! There'd be no way we could watch everything we've recorded! With Comcast, we had two DVRs on each TV with tiny hard drive capacity where we were constantly trying to make room for upcoming recordings. The Dish installation made me worry that we'd be in for a lot of issues as our installer couldn't get the Joey to connect to the Hopper. He worked for about 1.5 hours just trying to troubleshoot that. He finally went to his truck and pulled out a different Joey and that did the trick. Not a single glitch since--even after the s217 and other software updates. We have the Hopper connected to the internet via ethernet plugged into a powerline adapter because it's not close enough to our router. (Our internet is 20Mbs DSL, bundled through Dish) The Joey is joined to the Hopper without a HIC.
The graphical interface on the guide is great and is very easy to use. My wife has even been able to use the remote--something she never picked up with the Comcast system. Of course my teen-aged kids figured it out in seconds. And picture quality and audio seems better than it was with Comcast. The convenience of being able to start a show on one TV then pause and pick up on another is invaluable (and I know DirecTV has that too.) And the massive storage capacity is also a huge plus--never having to worry about whether you have the space to record something is great. Over the past 15 years, we've gone from DirecTV (when TiVo was bundled with their system), to Dish, Comcast and now back to Dish. If the system proves as reliable as it is now for the long haul and rates don't skyrocket, we'll probably stick with Dish for quite some time. I know there are probably a lot of other satisfied customers out there that never take the time to post. I use internet forums mostly to find answers to problems and that's why many come to this useful site. But it starts to skew the perception that everyone who has a Dish Hopper system has many frustrating problems. At least in our case, I'm surprised and happy to know that I haven't had those issues. Now, let the gremlins get to my system now that I've posted this glowing review....

I also have a lot of friends that have comcast...and have never switched. For one...they hear horror stories of losing signal when it rains. I think comcast must run that at the bottom of there screen or in there program guide...lol. Its always been a big issue as to why some wont switch. If it goes out in a storm...itll be back on in a min or two. Comcast would go out for days......back in the day...when there where storms. That truly sucked. I got some youtube videos i made...to show it dont go out...Mfinchv1 on youtube. Later!

Ow my eyes... I couldn't quite make it through the entire post but I'm glad you like the Hopper! Welcome to the club! Yeah on sites like this you're going to see more people talking about problems than you are people without problems. That's because the people without problems are watching TV! Installation is hell with Hopper/Joey for a lot of people, but rest assured that once it's set up things are a LOT better.

Ow my eyes... I couldn't quite make it through the entire post but I'm glad you like the Hopper! Welcome to the club! Yeah on sites like this you're going to see more people talking about problems than you are people without problems. That's because the people without problems are watching TV! Installation is hell with Hopper/Joey for a lot of people, but rest assured that once it's set up things are a LOT better.

Just wait, Post on Cassette will be out next week for those not into the reading thing. :rolleyes: :D

My installer didn't have a bit of trouble at all. The download took about 45 min and joey paired right up with the hopper. So far (knock on wood)I have not any problems with the hopper even with the new downloads.

Sorry for how wordy the post was. Didn't want it to sound like an ad for Dish--but it's been great for us so far.

Thanks for the post. I agree it's nice to hear the good stories as well. It's so hard to tell how widespread the Hopper issues really are. My install is scheduled for next Tuesday and I've been on the verge of canceling several times after reading posts about daily lock-ups, freezes, missed recordings, etc. Hopefully all goes well.

My install of two Hoppers went pretty well.
Basic TV watching and recording works well
I am now fine tuning things most of which "can not be done", to get things working the way I want them.
I can not use PTAT in my RV with DNS (Distant Network Stations), That is on my wish list. I would like to free up the PTAT portion of the hard disk so I can use it for random recording.
I would like to be able to use my old Dish 500 from Motosat so I don't have to learn to point a portable dish.
I would like the home media to be more friendly to the various recordings on my Win 7 computer. It will only play a few of the movies and videos. Thsi may be an HDCP issue, I don't know yet.

I too came from Comcast. Comcast is last decades electronics. Like comparing a VCR to our Hopper DVR.
My thoughts exactly. Big upgrade in interface, usability and features. BTW--our installer made a point of checking all the connections--especially the wall plates. That's a spot where many issues arise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts