Very Strange Problem with HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bryansf7741

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
I'm having a really strange issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this. My wife turned the tv to Lifetime tonight and the Searching for Signal in Sat 2 error showed up. Well I also found that the Lifetime Movie Channel, E, and Discover yHealth were also not coming in. I first reset the box and the issue was still present. I also disconnected the Sat 1 and Sat 2 inputs on the back of the box and that also did not fix the issue. My next step was to check my sat meters. While doing this I had good signals for both Tuner 1 and 2 for all sats except 110 and 95. On both of those I had a 95 reading on Tuner 1 but nothing for Tuner 2! This has me really confused though because if the Tuner is really bad shouldn't it be bad for all Sats and not just two of them?
I continued to experiment and I found something else that is really weird. If I hit record on one channel I could then tune in Lifetime without issue but the minute I stopped recording the other show and turned to another channel and then back to Lifetime it would give me the Searching for Signal message! I'm really perplexed and I dread calling D* as I know they won't have a clue what I'm talking about and will keep telling me to reset the box. I have the protection plan so I'm hoping they'll just send me a new box but I'm not optimistic. I also forgot to mention that the channels in question tuned just fine on our other tv's which I would think rules out a sat pointing issue. Sorry for the rambling post but it's late and I'm frustrated. These channels in question aren't a big deal to me as I don't watch them often but this is likely a bigger issue with the box and not channel specific. Any ideas?

hmm, are you using bbc's. Also are the other boxes standards? They might pull from a different sat. And check the connectors inside and out to make sure that none of them are sucked out or the white dialectric is not pinched into an oval. Check the wires for tight bends or where it could be smashed. Could be bad bbc's. Hmm

I don't think it's the BBC's for two reasons. The first being that the channels I'm not getting are all SD channels and as far as I know the BBC's only come into play for HD channels. All of my HD channels are coming in fine. I also think if it were the BBC's wouldn't it effect all channels? Nothing at all has changed in my setup as far as crimped wires or anything like that. I've been cursed with being a bit on the obsessive compulsive side and I would notice if something like that were going on. Also the other turners in the house our an H20 and an old SD receiver in my daughters room and the channels in question worked fine on both of those.

I noticed the same thing yesterday on my reciever. I was watching local HD and then changed the channel to (304) TVLAND. I got the no signal on tuner 2 message. I did a reboot and nothing changed. I also "swapped" the inputs on the back of the reciever and nothing changed.

When I look at the signal strengths on 101, tuner 2 seems to get some transponders but some are 0. Tuner 1 is normal. I don't think it's a cable or BBC problem as I have switched the cables and the problem stays with tuner 2.

Strange....

--Clint--

I don't think it's the BBC's for two reasons. The first being that the channels I'm not getting are all SD channels and as far as I know the BBC's only come into play for HD channels. All of my HD channels are coming in fine. I also think if it were the BBC's wouldn't it effect all channels? Nothing at all has changed in my setup as far as crimped wires or anything like that. I've been cursed with being a bit on the obsessive compulsive side and I would notice if something like that were going on. Also the other turners in the house our an H20 and an old SD receiver in my daughters room and the channels in question worked fine on both of those.

This is what I was going to ask you about, thinking that you were trying to get the HD channel and that maybe you didn't have the HD package (If you didn't have the HD Package and was on an HD channel that you may get that error) Thinking that the settings for your channels might have been changed ...... But..... seeing you said that it's SD channels you cannot get .....
Can you get the HD version of Lifetime ?
The Lifetime channel (as well as others) SD and HD are on different sats, HD come from 99 or 103, the SD I would guess are from the 101, I didn't look up the SD channel, so thats why I said guess.

Is it still not working this morning ?

Jimbo

It's still not working this morning. Their isn't an HD version of Lifetime so that won't work. The only problem is with a select few SD channels. All HD seems to be fine. The thing I find really odd is that if the box is recording and then I try to tune these problem channels the channel will come in just fine! I don't get it and explaining it to D* is going to be a nightmare I'm sure.

It's still not working this morning. Their isn't an HD version of Lifetime so that won't work. The only problem is with a select few SD channels. All HD seems to be fine. The thing I find really odd is that if the box is recording and then I try to tune these problem channels the channel will come in just fine! I don't get it and explaining it to D* is going to be a nightmare I'm sure.
Have you tried doing a program reset thru D*'s website (reauthorization ?)

It can't hurt either way...

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mydi...zation.jsp?_requestid=443003&_requestid=46137

Folks,

I tried the same exact thing as bryansf7741 did last night. If I tune to Lifetime I get the "searching for signal on tuner 2" message. If I go to the guide and hit the record button and go to the list...I can watch the program. I have three other receivers which are not recorders and they are just fine. It's just the HR20 in the living room.

Once again..tuner 2 shows almost all zeros on sat 101. All the other sats seem just fine on tuner 2. I swapped the inputs again this morning and the problem stays with tuner 2...

very wierd...

--Clint--

Yeah I tried refreshing service this morning and that didn't work. I guess I'm going to have to call D*

Let me know if you have any luck on a solution... BTW, I did a hard (power off/on) reset and refreshed service also. Same problem.

--Clint--

Thank You DFergie for submitting the issue. I noticed a couple more channels not coming in Comedy Central and Tru are also not coming in. It seems to be limited to channels without HD counterparts. I also checked my signals and for the 110 Sat I get strong readings in the 90s on Tuner 1 but Tuner 2 says not acquired. All other sats are good on both Tuner 1 and 2 with the exception of the 101 which gives me decent readings on Tuner 1 however I get not acquired on Tuner 2 for a couple of it's transponders!

Sounds like you may be losing some transponders on sat 101.

Can you take a picture of your 101 signal strength screen and post it?

Menu->Setup->sat signal->Satellite 101

Post one pic for each tuner if you would. A digital camera should make it simple enough. Hopefully we can isolate your issue.

Ok, Here we go. Sat 101 Tuner 1 - 1-8: 94,95,89,66,88,100,93,99
9-16: 90,95,95,64,94,100,92,100
17-24:89,100,94,56,95,10095,100
25-32:94,95,95,85,95,100,92,100

Tuner 2- 1-8: 85,0,83,0,0,0,0,0
9-16: 0,0,0,0,0,60,0,69
17-24: 0,96,51,0,60,95,72,97
25-32: 76,93,81,79,79,99,76,99

Sat 110 Tuner 1- Only 3 transponders active and they read 95, 90,and 96
Tuner 2- All 3 transponders have 0 readings

I'm really confused since I don't think this can be a dish alignment issue since the channels work just fine on the other receivers in our house. Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

I'm seeing almost the EXACT same reading on my HR20 from 101. Although it seems strange that when I get out of the satellite meter and then back into it the readings on tuner 2 change some...ie...transponder 1 on 101 may read 85 the first time through, but the second time it could be 0....sometimes it could be 45...weird
Once again it's only the H20 I have that is acting weird. All other non H20's are fine.
--Clint--

I'm having a really strange issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this. My wife turned the tv to Lifetime tonight and the Searching for Signal in Sat 2 error showed up. Well I also found that the Lifetime Movie Channel, E, and Discover yHealth were also not coming in. I first reset the box and the issue was still present. I also disconnected the Sat 1 and Sat 2 inputs on the back of the box and that also did not fix the issue. My next step was to check my sat meters. While doing this I had good signals for both Tuner 1 and 2 for all sats except 110 and 95. On both of those I had a 95 reading on Tuner 1 but nothing for Tuner 2! This has me really confused though because if the Tuner is really bad shouldn't it be bad for all Sats and not just two of them?
I continued to experiment and I found something else that is really weird. If I hit record on one channel I could then tune in Lifetime without issue but the minute I stopped recording the other show and turned to another channel and then back to Lifetime it would give me the Searching for Signal message! I'm really perplexed and I dread calling D* as I know they won't have a clue what I'm talking about and will keep telling me to reset the box. I have the protection plan so I'm hoping they'll just send me a new box but I'm not optimistic. I also forgot to mention that the channels in question tuned just fine on our other tv's which I would think rules out a sat pointing issue. Sorry for the rambling post but it's late and I'm frustrated. These channels in question aren't a big deal to me as I don't watch them often but this is likely a bigger issue with the box and not channel specific. Any ideas?

Had exactly the same problem and tried the same things you did with my HR20-100 a couple of weeks ago. Called D* and they sent a tech out a couple of days later. He checked the signal on the 2 lines feeding the HR20 and said "I'm going to replace the DVR". He then installed a new HR22 and 2 of the newer style BBC's and everything has been fine since. :)

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to have to call them too! I'm likely going to have to wait till after the holiday though since my wife is in school and I'm at work all day so setting up a time for the tech can be tricky. I have the service plan and it would be nice if they would just send me a new box but I'm doubting they will do it that way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)