Viacom Falls Most in 3 Years as Citigroup Cites Dish Risk

What a bunch of CRAP!!! Viacom should go after this guy and his premature scare tactics.

You see?? They see??
I see ground work laid with a smile.
Sudden link and others (including Dish) saying
" enough is enough and we don't need your MTV".
Many large conglomerations in the media world (not just TV) are currently in a learning stage/class they never thought they would attend .. Little lone sign up for.
Better look up big boys and at that chalk board.. Somebody is teaching lessons .
(and it definitely includes Mr Murdoch from the other threads). (Smiles)

Reactions: Lue
I have cable one and they still do not have the Viacom channels. The same thing happened with Suddenlink. Viacom has had a huge problem with declining ratings and wanting to raise rates. Many of the small cable companies have dropped their carriage representing about 900k houses.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/viacom-60-cable-firms-part-ways-in-rural-u-s-1403048557?autologin=y

Many calculated that they would have lost more customers by increasing cable rates than by dropping the Viacom channels. Smaller cable operators already pay higher per-subscriber fees than big operators, such as Comcast Corp. , which have the leverage to negotiate volume discounts. Cable executives say the new Viacom agreement would have meant paying more than a 100% increase from 2013 rates over the course of the five-year deal.

Reactions: bamasat
:imconfused
article said:
The company’s deal with Dish doesn’t expire this year, according to Jeremy Zweig, a spokesman for New York-based Viacom. In a research note, Bazinet said the “Viacom/Dish carriage renewal -– likely slated for 2015 -– is apt to be particularly contentious.”
The deal doesn't expire this year, but the renewal is this year?

Citing the potential for a Zombie Apocalypse in 2019, shares fell across the board today as the Dow lost 214 points.

Reactions: dare2be
remember the threat Charlie made a while back about permanently removing the Time Warner/Turner owned networks. i can see the current Fox/Dish dispute resulting in Fox News being gone for good and not coming back. and i can see Viacom getting the "Charlie will drop them for good" treatment if they decide to be just as Nasty as Time Warner and Fox and CBS in recent Disputes.

so in a way, Viacom is scared that if Dish goes, then Big cable and DirecTV could join them.

Hell I don't care who wrote it . I only hope it is true. IF the channel companies start fearing being dropped , it will definitely give DISH the edge in negotiations and we the consumer would benefit from lower price hikes. Charlie has already started this when AMC was dropped for 3 months a couple of years ago. FOX better learn that they are not in a position to keep the extortion attempts going over these other two channels that aren't up for renewal, being re-negotiated at the same time as Fox news and business channels that are up for renewal . I remember a few years back we lost all the Viacom channels on DISH that year too. So this article looks like it is looking back on their history with DISH and if history is any indication , they will drop them again. VIACOM is in no position to extort even higher prices for the same redundant crap they spread over their suite of various channels. This article is right on the money in what it foresees happening with DISH.

Something has to give and someone or many were going to eventually stand up against rate hikes. It all has to start somewhere and it has begun. Dish and others are setting an example out of certain companies for all the other companies to see what will happen to them if they decide to do certain things.

Just thought about something. AMC is a higher rated channel then FNC, correct? If Dish dropped AMc and 2 other sister stations, with no qualms whatsoever, and their ratings were and still are consistently higher then FNC and FBC, then wouldn't Fox understand they could be hurt by this? AMC was hurting bad. Hell, they even said they almost went under at one point, but 21st Century Fox I figure would crunch that number a little bit better.

Reactions: jbrelish
Every army has soldiers AND .....a general.
( like I said they are now being FORCED to look @The chalk board in a class they never wanted to attend.)
Hilarious to me that the very people (the ole Australian Rup and his cronies) who ruined the other sat provider personally is NOW battle ground for THE teaching. Coincidence?
I don't thing so... So eaves drop on that some...( bigger smile )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts