Viacom satellite channels to increase advertising content

Timpanogos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Well, this is the straw that finally broke the camel's back. The Dish programming content is just not there any more with all the cheap to produce lame reality programming... and what programming is there is becoming wall to wall commercials worse than what we have now. I am finally going to throw in the towel. I have been with Dish since April 1997...

Wall Street Journal August 27, 2012

Viacom Loads More Ads on Channels
As Viewership Falls at Some Networks, Company Increases Air Time for Commercials to Maintain Revenue

By SUZANNE VRANICA and JOHN JANNARONE
Fewer people have been tuning into some of Viacom Inc.'s VIAB -0.65% cable channels over the past year, so the company has turned to a timeworn but controversial method of maintaining ad revenue: adding more commercials.
According to data from TV-research firm Nielsen, the media conglomerate's Nickelodeon and Comedy Central networks boosted the amount of ad time they aired in the first half of 2012 by 9% from a year earlier, to a combined 1,901 hours. That followed a 7% rise in all of 2011 and a 4% rise in 2010, Nielsen found.
As viewership drops at some of Viacom's channels, what the company receives for a typical commercial spot can decrease. Increasing the amount of commercial time allows Viacom to make up some of the impact of the sharp ratings declines.
Viacom's U.S. ad revenue fell 7% in the June quarter from a year earlier, after rising 1% in the March quarter. But that compared with a 29% drop in viewership at Nickelodeon, one of the company's biggest channels, in the first half of the year, according to a report by Barclays Capital, based on Nielsen data. Other Viacom channels, including Comedy Central, have also lost viewers, but by a much smaller degree.
Viacom acknowledges that it has increased the load of ads, describing it as a short-term strategy. "We see this increased commercial load as a temporary situation that we will address as ratings improve," a company spokeswoman said. Viacom Chief Executive Philippe Dauman said earlier this month Nickelodeon was "beginning to show momentum."
Media buyers, however, warn that adding more commercials can alienate both viewers and advertisers. They say that consumers have a certain amount of tolerance for advertisements, but don't like commercial breaks that run on too long. And if the amount of clutter reaches a certain level, commercials won't resonate as well with viewers.
"It is disappointing that Viacom networks continue to shore up their ratings underperformance by adding incremental clutter to an already crowded commercial environment," said Jason Kanefsky, executive vice president of strategic investments at MPG, an ad-buying firm owned by Havas HAV.FR +0.79% SA. "This strategy seems disconnected with their clients' needs," he said.
Even before the latest increases, Viacom's channels were known to generally have heavier loads of commercials than many rivals, ad buyers say. The precise amount varies by channels. One buyer estimates that the average number of prime-time commercial minutes per hour ranges from 12 minutes and 30 seconds at MTV to 16 minutes and eight seconds at Nick at Nite. Nickelodeon, which aims at children, has a lower ad load, with nine minutes and 26 seconds, the buyer estimated.
Viacom didn't disclose how many commercials it runs during its shows.
In contrast, Walt Disney Co.'s DIS +0.14% ESPN plays nine minutes and 27 seconds of commercials per hour and Discovery Communications Inc.'s DISCA +0.66% Discovery Channel plays 10 minutes and 59 seconds, the person said. Discovery and ESPN declined to comment.
One media buyer said the increase in the ad clutter has caused his firm to cut back on what it spends on some Viacom networks. "Nick at Nite has been devalued because of underperforming ratings and it's been compounded by them increasing the ad clutter," the ad buyer added.
Viacom isn't the first network to add more commercials when ratings softened. "It's a common tool," says Brian Wieser, a media analyst at Pivotal Research Group. "But you can't keep making up for shortfalls in ratings by adding to your commercial load. It's a nice tool to manage short-term problems."
Another media buyer said that Viacom's move to increase the ad load is a "double-edge sword," since increasing the length of ad breaks usually results in ratings falling as viewers are more inclined to leave a show that is overcluttered with ads.
Thanks to the growing availability of Internet video, viewers may be more likely to switch off their televisions if they grow impatient with commercials. Older seasons of some Viacom programs like Nickelodeon's popular cartoon "SpongeBob SquarePants" can be watched commercial-free on Netflix Inc. NFLX -1.22% Analysts have questioned whether that has contributed to Nickelodeon's ratings declines.

TV Land is the worst...time compress the snot out of the older shows (is it "I Love Lucy" or "Alvin and the Chipmunks" that's on?), stick a ton of commercials in and make sure they whore their originals once or twice every commercial break as well.

Just remember this is not DISH doing this, it is one of their channel suppliers Viacom who is adding all these commercials.

If you went to cable of DIRECTV these channels would still have the same amount of ads.

You can see why DIRECTV and DISH have been fighting programmers on their rate increases, DIRECTV just recently dropped all the Viacom owned channels for almost 2 weeks over a price increase dispute.

Yeah, I know that the Viacom programming is found on most all cable and satellite services. I should have been more clear that I will be dropping Dish and not signing up for a Dish or cable replacement due to the increasingly lame programming decisions by the content providers and the ever increasing advertising/commercial time. I have had the Silicon Dust HD Homerun for about 6 months now and my home-made DVR works great. That also has prompted my decision.

So their solution to increase revenue is to give viewers an even larger incentive to record first before watching?

It's getting to the point that it's not even worth recording, as the programs are so chopped up it's not worth watching. Really the only reason I keep sat service anymore, is for live sports. The rest of the programming I can wait for the dvd if I really want to watch it.

But that's like saying the sun rises in the east or that Charlie loves litagation.

Wait the sun does rise in the east and Charlie does seem to love a good fight....Oh wait I get it now :D:D

Wtg viacrap you can't suck enough money out of sat/cable comps. to fill your pockets?

I think Viacom has been playing with this idea for a while. The late night repeats and programming on Comedy usually start at around(for an example) 12:05 and end at 12:40 for a half an hour show like South Park or Futurama. This is just going to create issues for people who watch programming from a network run by another corporation. Remember the old WTBS where they would begin and end everything five minutes later than the rest of the TV stations?

Between these stupid decisions and DISH being sued over PTAT now it's almost like the studio's want you to cancel your cable provider.

I'm all for anything which causes people to get angrier at a channel. Eventually the ones that are the worst will go out of business, leaving more bandwidth for the good ones.

So their solution to increase revenue is to give viewers an even larger incentive to record first before stop watching?
FIFY. And that is just what the OP is doing.

(Does this message board have a strikethough text formatting option?)

Jim S. said:
I'm all for anything which causes people to get angrier at a channel. Eventually the ones that are the worst will go out of business, leaving more bandwidth for the good ones.

À la Carter...

AMC has proved that "content is [still] King." AMC could have done what Viacom plans to do (although maybe AMC already had), but AMC invested in some original programming that has become very popular with viewer, and now they are reaping the financial benefits, and is no longer a moribund channel. Yes, the real solution is CONTENT. Ironically, it is Sumner Redstone himself (at the top of the Viacom/CBS pyramid) who is often credited with that "content is king" quote. Sumner, follow your own advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)