Victim Of The Dreaded HOA Today!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If it's me, I'm thinking of ways to beat them. As far as the umbrellas are concerned, why not sew up your own using that landscaping cloth?

How about digging a hole and putting it about 4 feet lower?

The idea of getting a tool shed and opening the roof sounded possible.

Put it higher up and behind one of those trees. Paint the pole dark brown like it's a tree trunk and paint the back of the dish so, when you see it through the tree you can't see anything.

How about running for your homeowner association board. most of those idiots tend to be power hungrly little tin-pot dictators.

The idea of having an essentially rural community where you can't stay informed about the world - - -

Wow. Judging by the pictures of your property and the location of the C-band dish... you must have a really whiny HOA! Your property is plenty big enough to accomodate such a dish, without impeding on your neighbours. Crazy...

Sorry about losing your 10 footer. I can see the HOA rules when everyone is jammed together but that looks like a lot of property. A shame.

Does the law state you can't "store" one on your property? What about an open sided shed like horse owners have? The dish could be "in" the building and still be functional.

I don't know Corrado, have to check into that. I see where you are going here!

The open shed idea is a great one! I am going to have to let the dust settle a bit before I try something like that! Good news today has been a down pur! Hopefully it will rain for the next couple weeks to slow down the take down process! Yes the pole is staying!

This new guy is a real jerk so I got my sneakiness cut out for me ahead!

Right now I am putting back for a MC-1 FTA-Motorized CKU Choice Set from Sadoun! I have my old Mercury II on just the C-band side and like it that way! The CNX Mini is doing all the KU stuff and that is just how I got it set up!

I seen on the net Brand New 6 Foot Odom's & SAMI's for $205.00 out of OHIO! :eek: WOW Great Price!!

Thinking the mesh style might be harder to spot! Like the Fortec Star 6 foot more though. Decisions Decisions!!

So 6 Footer Here I come!!

Getting another Dynamic or maybe before the new Fortune comes out that receiver will be my exclusive C-Band reception! It is all good, thanks to the guys that feel the sting with me.

Seems like the whole hobby has kicked my butt a time or two!
If you all remember the one week old NEW 3ABN dish mishap, buying bad Coolsat's to the Mini which the first one I bought would not turn my dish and now this problem!

I was really proud of setting that big boy up on the first try and had it right on the arc! I had more trouble being a first timer setting up the KU!

Sometime it seems the bad luck just follows me around but I really refuse to believe that, failure is not in my vocabulary!

You all know WE Satellite Guy's Don't Quit! Ever!!

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Kevin says : Guess you play with the bull ya get the horns!

I say, If you were to twist those horns the right way, the rest of its body will follow.
What do they have to say about a hobbyist greenhouse?? I'd put one of those up in a NewYork minute, as they say. And 'store' my 10'dish in it.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page.....
C-Band Satellite TV Equipment - 4Dtv - DSR-905 Digital Side-Car - Norsat 8515
They are out, but maybe they can give you a supplier.

Now that is something else! You know Lak7, that really looks like I could make that myself! That looks like the best idea I have seen yet! :up

The wife likes that Idea too!!

Thanks for that link! :D

I think the only thing that gives me the RED A$$ is now I can't try my Geosat Pro New LNB!!

K E V I N

Attachments

• ics2c1.jpg
    ics2c1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Kevin says : Guess you play with the bull ya get the horns!

I say, If you were to twist those horns the right way, the rest of its body will follow.
What do they have to say about a hobbyist greenhouse?? I'd put one of those up in a NewYork minute, as they say. And 'store' my 10'dish in it.

:D turbo!

You guys are really coming up with some real Ideas here!

We know there will be someone else out there that will need all this information besides myself later on! This will be a great thread to refer to again later for helping them. Great ideas here, I knew when I put it up that it was violating their stupid written thing. I just wanted to see if I could get by with it.

As for people that don’t know their rights on dish sizes I hope we can learn from this thread and teach others that may not know their rights as homeowners! There are some HOA’s out there that restrict even the 18 inch dishes and people don’t know that the FCC rule protects them! I hope people will learn their rights as a homeowner and will not get screwed by the rule when you are allowed up to 1 Meter!

Sometime this month I will get around to taking it down, and I guess I can really be lucky since he said that I could have a 6 footer which is over the FCC protection limit on dish size for homeowners anyway within a HOA. The news was not good, but I can live with it, plus what he would allow, I cut my loss for now and will comply!

Someone needs to re-post the FCC rule again in this thread for reference! I will look for it and post it in a bit, you all find it by all means post it here!

For all you newbie’s out there you can have a dish up to 1 meter on your property and the HOA can’t stop you from putting one up that large. Yes if you live in apartments you can be restricted on where you can put it but you can have it!

Know your rights!

K E V I N

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule LINK

As directed by Congress in Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the Federal Communications Commission adopted the Over-the-Air Reception Devices (“OTARD”) rule concerning governmental and nongovernmental restrictions on viewers' ability to receive video programming signals from direct broadcast satellites ("DBS"), broadband radio service providers (formerly multichannel multipoint distribution service or MMDS), and television broadcast stations ("TVBS").

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

Effective January 22, 1999, the Commission amended the rule so that it also applies to rental property where the renter has an exclusive use area, such as a balcony or patio.

On October 25, 2000, the Commission further amended the rule so that it applies to customer-end antennas that receive and transmit fixed wireless signals. This amendment became effective on May 25, 2001.

The rule applies to individuals who place antennas that meet size limitations on property that they own or rent and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners, and tenants who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna. The rule applies to townhomes and manufactured homes, as well as to single family homes.

The rule allows local governments, community associations and landlords to enforce restrictions that do not impair the installation, maintenance or use of the types of antennas described above, as well as restrictions needed for safety or historic preservation. Under some circumstances where a central or common antenna is available, a community association or landlord may restrict the installation of individual antennas. The rule does not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association, or jointly by condominium or cooperative owners where the antenna user does not have an exclusive use area. Such common areas may include the roof or exterior wall of a multiple dwelling unit. Therefore, restrictions on antennas installed in or on such common areas are enforceable.

This Information Sheet provides general answers to questions concerning implementation of the rule, but is not a substitute for the actual rule. For further information or a copy of the rule, contact the Federal Communications Commission at 888-CALLFCC (toll free) or (202) 418-7096. The rule is also available via the Internet by going to links to relevant Orders and the rule.

READ MORE BY CLICKING THE LINK AT THE TOP OR HERE!

K E V I N

...Says this morning as he drives to work, “The big dish has to come down!” ...... His theory was this, if any of the neighbors saw it, they would want one also and he was sick of looking at the dish (a 12 footer) that a neighbor had at his last house he lived in before here! So in short, I am being punished for something he, or I should say the other original HOA Member did not like before he moved here! WHAT!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

How big are those lots? You almost have to look hard to see the darn thing from the street.

I just can't believe how fussy some poople are. If the guy is sick about that, it doesn't take very much.

Sounds like trauma of looking at the dish at the last house caused post traumatic stress disorder.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

How big are those lots? You almost have to look hard to see the darn thing from the street.

I just can't believe how fussy some poople are. If the guy is sick about that, it doesn't take very much.

Sounds like trauma of looking at the dish at the last house caused post traumatic stress disorder.

I have approximately 10 acres of land here, yes it is hard to see from the road somewhat but you have to be looking for it.

This new guy is kind of an A$$! But again will let me put up a 6 foot maximum size.

On the last house thing, not the last house here mind you but the place he had before here is where the 12 foot was! Not this neighborhood! Now you get it into perspective on how I feel about the situation! I get docked for something he got tired of looking at his previous residence before moving here! :confused:

It is a unfortunate event but here I did press the rules a bit, fighting for the dishes in here when I moved in and won I might add, bet that was on some paper when he got the job In some “Note” field! They were looking for a way to get me from that day I would say! I am friends with the previous HOA president and he stopped by the other day to say he was sorry about all this!

Not his fault, this guy will not stay in long I would say for he has other homeowners in there POed already on various other things!

I will just abide my time and get that 6 foot dish ordered soon! :devil:

K E V I N

I love this free world we live in where you buy a house, pay on it for 20 years, work hard keeping it nice, clean, and maintained and some commitee or governing body comes says"you cant have a dish". Ridiculous. Looks like a nice install.

I love this free world we live in where you buy a house, pay on it for 20 years, work hard keeping it nice, clean, and maintained and some commitee or governing body comes says"you cant have a dish". Ridiculous. Looks like a nice install.

Well just remember that the buyer AGREED to the HOA rules when purchasing the home. Signed their name to the contract and said yes, I will live by these rules or get them changed according to the rules. The buyer had the option to not buy the house.

My house is in an HOA, I knew that getting into it, but I couldn't really afford a place in the country due to the price of land within a practical commute distance to work. I chose to accept the HOA rules knowing I can't have a C-Band dish, but can have as many FCC exempt dishes as I need. :)

It is a choice made by the home owner. I agree that too much property is coming under the control of HOAs to protect the precious "resale value", but again it is a choice. People tend to chose to live with HOAs for a couple reasons. One is they don't have a lot of options that are practical for their job, second is they want to protect the resale value and stop people from putting junk cars up on blocks in the front yard. More and more *counties* are applying the same "junk car" rules to people in the country as well with no HOA in sight.

On this specific thread, I am very surprised that a 10 acre property would be in an HOA. I always thought of HOAs as small "city" lots and such. The photos show a beautiful property and house with a very nice looking dish setup. I might look at the CC&Rs for the HOA and see what the fines are for not complying. Maybe you can just pay the fines for the few months it takes for you to convince your neighbors to oust the new HOA guy or at least until you get a nice "wind break" fence installed right there around your new "gazebo" :)

It is more an association than a city type HOA. Homeowners here pay for street maintenance, snow removal, neighborhood watch and things like that. No I am not in the city, more like 8 miles from it. It is here to protect residences of old cars, not so maintained property and the roads get maintenance!

Yes I agree with gillhan 100%! I did agree to such rules of our association when I moved here. Like I said many times in this thread, I knew the rules and wanted to push them a bit to see how far I could go. Not so far it seems.

My house is in a very nice neighborhood in the country and having a HOA in some neighborhoods does not necessarily mean that we don’t pay too much for housing, give yourself a little break there gillham!

There are high dollar homes in here so I can see why we had such agreement for the neighborhood when I bought it. My rules are more a community association other than a HOA, but it is almost the same thing in the long run!

So I pushed the rules and lost, all the same there will be another C-Band dish up but not quite as large. The 10 foot pole is going to stay for now for I still might implement some of the ideas here brought up in this thread for later pondering!

Thanks again guys for all the great ideas, some of them were great ones!

K E V I N

Have you thought about cutting the dish to a smaller size instead of buying a brand new 6 footer? I recently cut a 10 footer down to 8 feet. It's a unimesh dish, I cut it with a small grinder and blue blade. I had to re-design the LNBF mount and calculate the focal point. I don't know how much performance I lost by going smaller, because I cut it the day that I bought it. I remember a few monthe back I asked how big of a dish would it take to get the Equity stations on 95 west. Iceberg said that it's very difficult on a 6 footer, the dish had to be balls-on asnd even then they sometimes pixilate. I get those stations with good sq now on my home-cut 8 footer, and I live about 250 miles east of Iceberg, so I'm confident that it's working just fine.

So I pushed the rules and lost, all the same there will be another C-Band dish up but not quite as large. The 10 foot pole is going to stay for now for I still might implement some of the ideas here brought up in this thread for later pondering!

Thanks again guys for all the great ideas, some of them were great ones!

There is an easy way to put an end to this.

Under FCC rules you are allowed to put up as many 1 Meter or less Dishes on your property to receive what you want.

The HOA guy hates Dishes of any kind - including D* and E*.

Inform him that to replace the 10 foot dish, you will be installing 20 1 Meter dishes all over your front area very close to the road. These will be needed to replace the 10 ft dish and legal under FCC law.

Let him know that once you do it there is no going back as the money will be spent. You might even take the photo you posted and photoshop in all the dishes so he can see exactly how it will look.

Ask is he sure that is what he wants or would he want to work out a compromise.

If he still wants to play hard ball, find the local D* or E* Contractor and get a bunch of old 18"-20" dishes they have replaced and start putting them up in your new "Dish Farm".

Unless they guy is a true idiot, he will decide 1 10ft Dish hidden is better than 20 1 Meter Dishes lining the Roadway for everyone to see.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)