Video Conversion and Burn for AZBox

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
Just a note for AZBox owners.

If you are looking for a program to convert your recorded files from an AZBox and be able to burn them to a DVD, here is one program that works.

This is FREE and does most of everything all in one step.

DVDVideosoft

h++p://www.dvdvideosoft.com

I cannot tell you if it is perfect, but I tested it on one recorded program and it worked well except that when I placed the disk in my DVD player, I found that the skip function did not work so evidently there are no chapter marks (the whole record file is one chapter). Otherwise it played fine.

If anyone has a better program now or finds one in the future, please let me know, I am open to that!

RADAR

Last edited:
AcWxRadar

Commercial Analyzers like Comskip can look through a .TS file saved by AZBox on an USB HD, and create a Cut list or Chapter file specific to your player that contains time marks of all found commercials. Then you author and burn the DVD with DVD authoring soft. Comclean can remove detected by Comskip commercials permanently. You can use DVRMSToolbox for similar purposes, as well as other soft. In order to use a Chapter file created by AZBox, your DVD Authoring soft needs to understand this file format and being able to convert it to a format your DVD player understands. Do you know, what format is used by AZBox for a Chapter file, or how it muxes the Chapter markers into a .TS file it gradually creates? That would be the 1-st step toward finding a suitable extractor & converter.

On a DVD, "the chapter info is in the .ifo files, but each chapter needs a special 'break' in the .vob files. In a transport stream added by the recorder chapter / cut markers info is muxed." A few useful links on DVD Authoring:

DVB to DVD-R guide
DVB-T (.TS) to DVD conversion
How to convert .TS file to a format recognisable by an ordinary DVD Player?
Blue-Ray / HD-DVD / TS / DVD / AVI --> H.264 using MeGUI
DigitalTV/DVB/HDTV Conversion Tools

Last edited:
ConvertXtoDVD claims "automatic chapter creation" while converting a ts stream file to DVD. It was apparently given some awards, but I'd trust VideoHelp and Doom9 forums suggested soft more.

video editing and DVD creation:

I am satisfied with ConvertXtoDVD, so even if there are other or cheaper products, that's no longer something I have to think about.
The "automatic chapter" feature puts them at timed intervals.
More than adequate for my needs; no reason to worry about them falling on scene boundaries.

I also use DVD Labs Pro to make proper DVDs, but it requires correctly formatted source material to make the discs.
It does not re-encode as does ConvertX, above.
Been using DLP for years, to make fancy menus, and multiple shows per disc.
It's got a feature to put chapters on scene boundaries, if you like.
I have it insert chapter marks wherever I cut out commercials. :)

DLP is pretty spendy for casual DVD authoring.
ConvertX costs less, and is way less professional, but probably adequate.

VideoReDo is what I use for editing mpeg and transport stream files.
It's currently in alpha test for H.264.
Their forum has discussions on handling the output of many satellite PVRs.
They do frame-accurate editing, not as common as you might think.
However, if you can do without editing, there's another savings.
The latest version has DVD authoring built in, and it's fine for simple one-show DVDs.
(actually, it'll do much more, but for the complex discs, I fall back on DVD Labs)

How commercial skip works in AZBox, if any?

Is it skipping 15 to 60 sec forward in the recording you are currently playing? Is it done automatically or manually for each commercial - using what AZBox feature? Is this auto repeatable next time one plays the same recording? I wonder if these skip marks are left in the recorded stream at all? Even less probable, the skip marks in the stream being recorded are auto defined using some heuristic commercial analysis algorithm.

DVDLabs and VideoRedo are many's favs when making regular DVDs. Current trend however has shifted towards HD storage, but there's always a limit to movie server capacity for some devoted video fans. Its still easier to simply cut commercials and move converted to MPEG4 files to DVDs to play them later via a MPEG4 stand alone DVD Player or PC. :)

Last edited:
VideoReDo is what I use for editing mpeg and transport stream files.
It's currently in alpha test for H.264.
Their forum has discussions on handling the output of many satellite PVRs.
They do frame-accurate editing, not as common as you might think.
However, if you can do without editing, there's another savings.
The latest version has DVD authoring built in, and it's fine for simple one-show DVDs.
(actually, it'll do much more, but for the complex discs, I fall back on DVD Labs)

Anole,

I am using VideoReDo to edit my movies and shows recorded on the AZBox.

I FTP the recorded video over to my PC.

Open the video with VideoReDo and edit out the commercials or unwanted segments, add titles and what nots. Then save the file.

Then I open this edited file with DVDVideoSoft. This converts the *.ts file to DVD *.vob file and automatically burns it to the DVD.

I like the VideoReDo TV Suite as it edits very nicely to the precise frame. It also has an automatic commercial (ad) detection and cut mode.

I am not certain yet, but it seems that VideoReDo might have some limitations with the auto ad detect mode when editing a *.ts file. If I convert the *.ts file first, and run the VideoReDo, it finds all the commercials and removes them nicely. But, if I run the automatic ad detection on a *.ts file, and in fast mode, it seems to get a little lost and doesn't pick up the beginning or the end of an ad. I will need to experiment with this more to know for certain as it was only my first time experimenting with this software.

In any regards, I am quite happy that I am able to record a show with my AZBox and author a DVD that will work in all of my DVD players.

Now that I understand how to accomplish this, I can experiment with other software to perfect it to suit my needs and tastes. I often like to author DVDs with multiple titles of short series, so some of the software that you are using might be good for me.

RADAR

How commercial skip works in AZBox, if any?

Is it skipping 15 to 60 sec forward in the recording you are currently playing? Is it done automatically or manually for each commercial - using what AZBox feature? Is this auto repeatable next time one plays the same recording? I wonder if these skip marks are left in the recorded stream at all? Even less probable, the skip marks in the stream being recorded are auto defined using some heuristic commercial analysis algorithm.

DVDLabs and VideoRedo are many's favs when making regular DVDs. Current trend however has shifted towards HD storage, but there's always a limit to movie server capacity for some devoted video fans. Its still easier to simply cut commercials and move converted to MPEG4 files to DVDs to play them later via a MPEG4 stand alone DVD Player or PC. :)

Zamar,

I am not aware of any commercial skipping feature with the AZBox itself. Is there such a thing? I imagine it could be accomplished via a plug-in, but I have not read of any yet.

The plug-in could look for several things to detect commercials and pause the record during the commercial and resume after. Such as station logo, black level and the commercial tone broadcast (or whatever it is referred to).

I swear that I heard some sort of a hidden tone or pulse burst being detected and represented as an audio signal while using VideoReDo. In normal play mode with auto-ad-detect set to ON, there was a noticeable audio "tone" like that of a cellular phone ring just prior to the commercial and just a few frames after the show resumed. Was I imagining this? I am certain that there is an imbedded signal in there so that any local station can use their automated equipment to switch over to local commercial time, but is VideoReDo picking this up and providing me with an audible indication of that signal?

RADAR

I found that the skip function did not work so evidently there are no chapter marks
I initially assumed the markers were left by AZBox while manually skipping commercials. Did you make these chapter marks while authoring the DVD with DVDvideosoft?

As to broadcast embedded commercial prompts, its quite possible they're there, but not always. Otherwise, why would commercial analysis packages need to employee sophisticated heuristics when the prompts are easily detectable, and also can be taught to recognize?

I initially assumed the markers were left by AZBox while manually skipping commercials. Did you make these chapter marks while authoring the DVD with DVDvideosoft?

Actually, Zamar, I don't have any chapter marks at all (except the entire recording as it is one chapter alone.) I haven't yet figured out how to do this.

As to broadcast embedded commercial prompts, its quite possible they're there, but not always. Otherwise, why would commercial analysis packages need to employee sophisticated heuristics when the prompts are easily detectable, and also can be taught to recognize?

I know that they are present as WSTV described them. But, I don't have the full gist of them yet.

RADAR

Anole,

I FTP the recorded video over to my PC.

Open the video with VideoReDo and edit out the commercials or unwanted segments, add titles and what nots. Then save the file.

Then I open this edited file with DVDVideoSoft. This converts the *.ts file to DVD *.vob file and automatically burns it to the DVD.

I like the VideoReDo TV Suite as it edits very nicely to the precise frame. It also has an automatic commercial (ad) detection and cut mode.

I'm curious why you don't just let VideoReDo burn to DVD???

I use VideoReDo, and VideoReDo Suite all the time, and love it. I never use the burn to DVD option because everything I record is HD, but it IS supposed to be able to burn to DVD. I'm just curious why you don't use this feature, and instead use this other program???

lots of ways to skin the cat:

I like the VideoReDo TV Suite as it edits very nicely to the precise frame.
The TV Suite can also author DVDs.
That's a feature added after I started using the package; I'm old-school and have my own ways.
In fairness, it gets the job done, and can provide you with suitable menus, et al.
It also has an automatic commercial (ad) detection and cut mode.
I go way back with these people, and got good at manual editing in the beginning.
They detect black frames and loss of audio, to trigger a commercial detection.
Lot of users seem to be quite happy with its bulk editing capability.
I hand-craft all my shows, and never use the feature.
You get good with it after a little experimenting. I've done thousands. ;)

Any trouble you might have with video that's not clean, can be fixed up by running it through their QSF (quick stream fix) procedure, first.
Normal editing applies the same clean-up rules to your video, but if it's so bad you just cannot edit, QSFing it first will probably help.

The company has an extensive forum, and further inquiries should be handled there.
Some of their editor quirks are less than intuitive, but are pretty well documented and discussed.
Once a solution is found, it wouldn't hurt to expose the SatGuy's to it over here. :)

There is another editing software you might explore:
Womble MPEG Video Wizard
A year or two back, users of that package came to the VideoReDo forum, bitching about Womble, and looking for other solutions.
In the ensuing months, I believe Womble cleaned up their product and stole some ideas from VRD, so you might want to give it a look.
In some modes, it has a drag 'n drop interface, which may feel more natural to beginners.

And yes, there are also many freebie products that do an excellent job.
Some of those authoring solutions used to be discussed on the VRD forum, before they began offering their own DVD-making capability.
You can search through the VRD forum for a lot of interesting ideas.

Last edited:
I'm curious why you don't just let VideoReDo burn to DVD???

I use VideoReDo, and VideoReDo Suite all the time, and love it. I never use the burn to DVD option because everything I record is HD, but it IS supposed to be able to burn to DVD. I'm just curious why you don't use this feature, and instead use this other program???

Mainly, I was using the DVDVideoSoft for the conversion. I didn't know that the VideoReDo would convert the .ts to .vob. So, I was allowing VideoSoft to convert and go directly into burning.

I just got the full (non-trial) version and therefore haven't spent too much time with it yet.

I did go to the VideoReDo forum last night and print out all of their "tutorials" and FAQs for a sort of manual. Found out a lot more information.

Such as conversion, buring single and multiple title DVDs, chapter marks and lots of other stuff that I wasn't aware that it could do.

It's a lot better than I thought.

A long time back, I had a LiteOn DVD/HDD recorder that I used to make DVDs with. I actually had two of them and both took a dump. The DVD drive would fail to recodnize the DVD or would burn partially through the title and just up and quit. There is no longer any support for these units as the Liteon company disbanded this division so, I had been searching for a replacement. With software like this and the AZBox combined, I have a much better system now!

RADAR

It looks like the next step would be to find a high quality MPEG2-to-MPEG4 transcoder and burn to DVD or keep on your HD everything in MPEG4. There're reports that pic quality from a good H.264 transcoder is indistinguishable, if not better, while file size is a lot smaller. :) Any suggestions of a good H.264 transcoder program and codecs pack, free or not?

Yes, H.264 is the latest hot stuff.
But for a number of years, DivX and XviD have been the standard of good compression & quality.
There have been stand-alone DVD players which'll play 'em directly.
Plus, I for one have been reluctant to dedicate a computer to playing my video.
Stand-alone suited me far better, as you can never run out of DVDs, where as I was always running out of hard disc space. :)

Today, with cheap terabyte drives, it's fashionable to use a computer.
But, for many years I was storing anywhere from half to a full season of a TV series onto one DVD in DivX.

I look forward to improved DVD players, which will popularize h.264 even more.

It looks like LG BD370 and the rest of this LG lineup play H264 in .MKV container and DivX & XviD without a problem.

What DivX & XviD transcoders you found of high value from own experience?

Last edited:
It looks like the next step would be to find a high quality MPEG2-to-MPEG4 transcoder and burn to DVD or keep on your HD everything in MPEG4. There're reports that pic quality from a good H.264 transcoder is indistinguishable, if not better, while file size is a lot smaller. :) Any suggestions of a good H.264 transcoder program and codecs pack, free or not?

The DVDVideoSoft converter V 1.2.1.54, which is freeware apparently performs this conversion. I used it this morning and it did convert a file that I had recorded.

I could not watch the original file (the video was available when I attempted to view it with VLC media player, but it was very choppy or steppy and the audio was garbled) nor could I edit it with VideoReDo TV Suite. When I attempted to edit it with VideoReDo TV Suite, It gave a message that H.264 support was not yet available. But, after running it through the DVDVideoSoft converter, I could do both.

It did leave me with a question, however. It divided it up into two separate video files and an audio file and I am not sure that I need to merge these later of if they will burn properly to a DVD. I will have to experiment with this when I have more time.

In any case, the DVDVideoSoft accepted this H.264 MPEG4 file and successfully converted it to a viewable format. It took a very, very long time to convert, however.

RADAR

Last edited:
I will have to continue to research this avenue. It isn't always as pleasant as my first try. I must have got lucky there.

When the video format changes, or there is any copy protection flags, things get rather confused. The last DVD that I made required me to involve Slysoft DVD Clone in order to burn the DVD.

I was trying another recorded program, to burn to DVD and it sure isn't as easy as it was the first time around.

RADAR

If you recorded a HD Show in H.264, Smart Cutter form FameRing can be your best friend in deleting commercials. :)

"Cuts videos from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR quickly in several mouse clicks. Supporting M2TS, TS, PS, TP, TRP, MTS, MPG, VOB; H.264/AVC, AVCHD, MPEG2, DVD etc. Especially, it is Frame Accurate!

You can observe each scene thoroughly, cut or merge segments of movies. Cut commercials out of video stream.

Especially, only small parts on start and end points will be re-encoded, the middle part will remain untouched. This gives highest speed while reserving highest video quality. So it is called SMART CUTTER.

No need to be worried about formats, frame rate or file sizes, the functions of video join, split and cut can be easily achieved by Smart Cutter. "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)