loading Azbox

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gremlin411

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
South East Texas
I have read most of the review on the azbox so I might have missed this part if I did just let know and I will start reading again.

Now my ?. I have one RJ45 port on my computer and a three foot cable, so I must move that box to computer to load sat list. I have tried AZedit and Maz but they will not connect to the box. can I get some info on this . if need to leave it at the tv I will buy a 60 foot cable but I do what to.

Thanks guys

A "Cross-Over" Cable is a special cable used to connect 2 "computers" without the use of a Hub.
Do you have a Hub or Router that your Computer normally connects to?

Edit: Also, don't forget that "you" must turn the FTP Services "On" in the AZBox's "Settings: Network Setup Menu"

If you're not using a hub or switch, you'll need a cable with the transmit and receive lines reversed on one end. (Unless either your PC or the AZbox auto-senses the cable configuration, but I DON'T think that that's specified for Ethernet stations.)

I have read most of the review on the azbox so I might have missed this part if I did just let know and I will start reading again.

Now my ?. I have one RJ45 port on my computer and a three foot cable, so I must move that box to computer to load sat list. I have tried AZedit and Maz but they will not connect to the box. can I get some info on this . if need to leave it at the tv I will buy a 60 foot cable but I do what to.

Thanks guys
Make sure AZBox ip address is enetered into The Maz Application.

How will IP addresses work in this crossover cable situation? In the absence of a DHCP server a Windows PC will give itself a 169.254.X.X address. Will the Azbox do so as well?

Thanks guys

Hi Gremlin and the group, because the AZBOX offers some interesting network ability you might want to consider hooking it up to a router. If you do not have a router they are not very expensive and can add some security for your computer (they can make for a good firewall)

Some thing to consider is moving the cable or DSL modem and router near the TV and if you bought a wireless router you could still use your computer even if it is in another room.

Got to run, DC

I do not have a hub or a router. Do I have to have one?
ok I will turn on FTP in the menu.
so I guess I will try to find a "cross" over cable.
How do you find the IP of the AZbox?

Sorry guys I am new to these loader and do not understand them yet.

I bought a linksys router and a wireless card for computer and the router is a piece of junk. I guess the card good.

If he has broadband, then probably he already has a crossover cable between his computer and his modem (whether it has a router built in or not -- a router doesn't need to have an integrated LAN switch), so he might have an address problem rather than a cable problem.

If he has broadband, then probably he already has a crossover cable between his computer and his modem (whether it has a router built in or not -- a router doesn't need to have an integrated LAN switch), so he might have an address problem rather than a cable problem.

Since he asked "How do you find the IP of the AZbox?", it seems pretty certain that he has an "address problem". :)

Re crossover cable to modem, I don't know about DSL or cable modems, but my satellite internet modem is apparently one of those connections that auto-senses what kind of connection it's attached to, because I can use a straight through cable regardless of whether I'm going direct to a computer or through a router.

Re the O.P.'s " How do you find the IP of the AZbox?" question, if you go to the setup page, and then down to the INTERNET page, it will allow you to see what your IP# is. I have mine set as a Wired network with Static IP, however you can also set it up to take a Dynamic IP# if you wish, however if you have multiple devices on the lan, the IP# might change. I prefer to set it as static so that I know for sure what it is.
If you set it as static though, you have to set it in the same subnet that your computer is in, so then the question becomes what is the IP# of the computer on the lan. That can also be static or dynamic, and again I prefer static. If you don't have a router or some other computers on the lan, I'm guessing that the IP# may not have ever gotten set, because I think it defaults to dynamic, and if there isn't a DHCP server available, I think it just gives up after a while. I have my computers set as static in the 10.1.x.x range, mainily because it's easier to remember than those 169.254.x.x subnets. However to find out what IP# the computer is using , one way is to go to a command prompt window (start/programs/accessories/command prompt on XP), or start/run , and type in "IPCONFIG" without the quotes. This will tell you your IP# on the LAN, and also the IP# of your gateway to the internet, be it a router or whatever. IF you have multiple NICs , make sure you're looking at the right one, but you'll probably only have one, or perhaps two, like a wired and wireless.
If you want to change the IP#, or set it to static, you generally right click on "my network places" (if you're using XP or win2k, but I have no idea if you're using vista or 7). Once you right click you can go into properties, choose TCP/IP properties, and it will allow you to choose the default dynamic, or select a static IP# of your own. Use 255.255.255.0 for the mask, and you'll also have to enter a gateway and DNS server IP#, which is usually that of your router if you have one.
Whenever I have a problem figuring out what IP# are being used on my LAN, such as that of my router, etc, I use a nice little freeware or shareware program called IPSCAN.EXE. You have to tell it which subnets to scan, but once you do that, it gives you the address of everything that responds on the LAN, along with it's name if it has one. Pretty handy.

If the mask is 255.255.255.0, that means that all the addresses on the network have to have the first three numbers the same (e.g. 192.168.254). The last number can be anything between 1 and 254 inclusive.

You need 2 things for Network
IP Address: 192.168.xxx.xxx - the last set is unique for each machine, the first 3 sets will be the same
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 - all machine the same

You need 2 things for Network
IP Address: 192.168.xxx.xxx - ....

It doesn't have to be 192.168 .

You can also use 10.1.xxx.xxx

I find this range a LOT easier to remember. ALL my LAN devices are in the 10.1.x.x range. Since my router is also in this range, even devices set for DHCP pick up dynamic IP#s in that range. I've never understood why people use the 192.168 numbers. They're harder to remember and harder to type in.

All of that typing... Oh my... :p

Even easier than that, the OP could plug into the cable modem if it has multiple ports for PCs. Then let DHCP assign the numbers. Look on the Azbox to see what IP address was assigned and there you go. Put that into Maz.

Or, he could plug the cable modem into the router and then plug the PC and Azbox into the router. Don't have to use the wireless. Then, let DHCP assign the numbers. Look on the Azbox to see what IP address was assigned and there you go. Put that into Maz.

No troubleshooting to do if you make a mistake typing.

Last edited:
do you think part of my problem is the fact that I have scaned in some sats already. I have loaded fw .2880 and enabled ftp and the loader says something like it con not connect to port 23. Do I need to to factory reset and try again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)