Video description

dsurette

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Ooltewah, TN
I was watching NCIS LA last night when suddenly I was hearing a description of what was happening on the screen. I think it is called video description. I did not turn this on and I couldn't turn it off. This is on a Hopper. I went to the audio settings and there are only two choices. Alternate audio and audio output. Neither of these had any effect. And it was not happening on the next show. I'm thinking that it was something that Dish caused by mistake. Did this happen to anyone else?

I was watching NCIS LA last night when suddenly I was hearing a description of what was happening on the screen. I think it is called video description. I did not turn this on and I couldn't turn it off. This is on a Hopper. I went to the audio settings and there are only two choices. Alternate audio and audio output. Neither of these had any effect. And it was not happening on the next show. I'm thinking that it was something that Dish caused by mistake. Did this happen to anyone else?

Do you often think that the tv is talking to you and only you?;)

But seriously, it might be something specifically happening on your individual local tv station. A screw up on their level most likely. Unless this is a new service for blind people that want to listen to the tv and know what is happening by the description ?;)

That is the "Descriptive Video Service" and has been around since about 1990. Currently shows with the D))) logo on screen at the start when the rating and closed caption logos are showing have that, and NCIS:LA is one of them.

I didn't see it happen last night, but I have had the DVS just start up on its own. I think Mike is right that it is a local channel thing, where they somehow got the regular audio and the DVS audio swapped. That was what happened the time I saw it, because it was back in the days when I was only OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)