Video Editing Info Needed..............

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
OK so I need some help and I looked around the site trying to figure out where to post this BUT, didn’t see any place that I thought it ought to be in so here goes. If there’s a better one than this one, then by all means move it.

Last night I did a recording test in preparation for next weeks return of The Blacklist to see what I have on NBC 105w with an Open Box S9 and NBC on WVGN on my junk chicom receiver since my old faithful standby Micro HD has been disabled by the program providers.

Both receivers did a 1 hour recording beginning at 8pm with the file size for the 105w feed tipping the scales at over 9GB and the WVGN one at only 1.2GB just like it’s always been. FYI, that 105w feed used to be just a little over 6GB and now it’s up to over 9GB??? Yep, another WTF moment!! Used to be that 103W NBC was the one that had those huge 9GB files but not any more.

Ennywho, I want to see about converting those huge 105w files down to the size of those on 99w and I can do that with Freemake Video editor BUT, I lose the voice sound channels and I can’t figure out how to combine those to make them one single 1.2GB file??

So does anyone know if there is some free software out there in either Windowz or Linux format that will work for what I want to do?

Thanks

Perhaps, try Davinci Resolve? I use it all the time for video editing. So, it should work for this too, I have not tried it from a video recorded from a FTA receiver, BUT I have have used it for a quick way to reduce the size of other videos. No editing. There is a learning curve to use this for full blown editing, but just to load in a file and then render it out in a lower resolution is not too hard to figure out. There is a free version that you could try, and no time limits or watermarks, just no 4K rendering with the free version.

Well, I'm done! What I found out is that NONE of the stuff I tried on that NBC 9GB 105w feed video file would leave me with audio after I reduced the size of the file/s. All of them defaulted to the 1st sound track which has nothing on it from what I've seen and there were no others in it afterwards. I didn't see anyway to change that.

Yup, I'm just going to use the chicom junk to record with Friday and be done with it! Just a shame that WVGN technicians had to screw things up cuz I've got like 156 Blacklist episodes recorded in [TS] Openbox S9/Micro HD format. With the way things are going with that show, I doubt that season 8 will be a 22 episodes and I don't think there will be a season 9!

Ennywho, thanks for all the suggestions guys!!

Lone Gunman

Well, I'm done! What I found out is that NONE of the stuff I tried on that NBC 9GB 105w feed video file would leave me with audio after I reduced the size of the file/s. All of them defaulted to the 1st sound track which has nothing on it from what I've seen and there were no others in it afterwards. I didn't see anyway to change that.
Don't give up yet! Avidemux will do part of what you want, then you can use one of your other programs to reduce the size. Avidemux, under its audio setting, will allow you to de-select tracks you don't want, and then you save it as a TS file (actually, made it a slightly larger file, for some reason!) and then you can reduce it with another program. For example, I used a quickly recorded NBC TS file, where the audio I wanted was on the 4th track. After de-selecting the other three tracks, it only saved the one track I wanted. Since it will then be the default and only track, your other programs should have no problem with it.

Well, I guess this thread is moot point as the PR Mux is back on all 3 of my Cband systems using the S9 and Micro HD receivers.

But again...............Thanks guys for taking the time to try to help this "old man" out!! ;)

Reactions: KE4EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts