Video - Hopper 3 Demo

Scott, you mentioned in another thread that the Hopper Go would charge while transferring from the USB3 port. Does that mean that the USB3 ports will support unpowered portable EHDs?
I would say depends on the drive be and would probably work on some. However it's not something supported since each drive has different power loads.

Scott, Vivek said that they are able to this by making the 4K send out 4 1080I signals to the TV. We have also been told that, in order to get 6, they will convert that 4K signal to 720P. It sure sounds like that would work on a 1080 TV....
The reason the four channel view works is that 1/4 of a 4k screen is exactly 1920 x 1080 so that would require the output of the H3 to be 4k. Not quite sure how the 6 view would work unless it didn't use the full screen.

Reactions: Hall
It's so funny that you say about hearing things first on here.

Back in my installer days when the hopper first came out I was telling my coworkers about the features before our managers let us in on the updates. It was so funny to tell my GM these updates and he was like "How do you know these things?"

"I pay attention"....
I remember when I got Dish when the Hopper was just released & the installer said it was the first one he was doing. Took him a whole day just to successfully install the Hopper with a Sling Adapter & had to come back to do the Joeys because he couldn't get them to work. I helped him with the Hopper install & he wondered how I knew so much about it & I told him about this forum.

By the time he came back the next day, Scott & other members here told me what we were doing wrong so I successfully installed the Joeys myself before the installer came back the next day on his day off. Of course he was shocked when he checked & everything was working just fine. He said he figured out the problem by visiting this forum too. I tried tipping him for all the trouble he went through but he refused it because he said I had given him the best tip already by letting him know about Sat Guys.

I am a "cordcutter" since last spring & enjoying it but if Dish keeps this up I seriously have to think about coming back to Dish. Now this is TV worth spending money on. I can't wait to see what promos they will have for new customers like myself. As a Sling TV customer I think Dish rocks, if only they could come up with straight forward pricing for satellite services as they are now doing with their current $49.99 plan & Sling TV.

However shortly after release it will be updated so you can have up to 6 channels being displayed at one time. (the 1080i channels will be down converted to 720p so you can fit 6 channels on one screen.) :)
If this is the case, they must not be using the four transcoders built into the BCM7445 (or at least not in the way that I had assumed).

I just noticed that The Hopper 3 handout they have also mentions the 6 channels.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1452274244.059453.jpg

Scott, you mentioned in another thread that the Hopper Go would charge while transferring from the USB3 port. Does that mean that the USB3 ports will support unpowered portable EHDs?
Looking at the FCC filings, there is only one USB 3.0 port in the back (the lower one). I haven't seen what's up front yet. Having said that, most of the Hopper 3 test machines in the FCC filings had an eSATA port between the USB ports and the remote antenna jack and that apparently isn't there anymore.

USB 3.0 puts a higher minimum on 5VDC current (2 amperes versus 0-500 milliamperes) so I reason that it should be up to the task.

The reason the four channel view works is that 1/4 of a 4k screen is exactly 1920 x 1080 so that would require the output of the H3 to be 4k. Not quite sure how the 6 view would work unless it didn't use the full screen.
I did the math for both a 4-screen layout - which is perfectly "4K" using 4 x 1080 - as well as 6 x 720 mode. The 2nd one doesn't work out exactly, but close enough, that they'll just stretch them a little bit (no one will notice it either !) or as you say, not fill the screen 100%.

With Dish Anywhere, only one mobile device can access the 16 tuners at once, right? If there is more allowed then what is the limit?

Just saw the pic of the physical device and read what there was in description where is said that "a family of 5 each could watch a show and record another". When I saw that the first thing that I wondered was if all the recordings go to one area as they on a HwS? It's probably too early to know but, if so, for my family this would would create all kinds of chaos with 2 HwS and close to 1000 recordings, 400+ on the Media Rooms' (mine).

Just saw the pic of the physical device and read what there was in description where is said that "a family of 5 each could watch a show and record another". When I saw that the first thing that I wondered was if all the recordings go to one area as they on a HwS? It's probably too early to know but, if so, for my family this would would create all kinds of chaos with 2 HwS and close to 1000 recordings, 400+ on the Media Rooms' (mine).
Folders my friend. :)

Folders my friend. :)
Yup, I know. But the family and especially Grandma have enough trouble finding things as it is. Also I like Date order, they like Alphabetical. We "techies" get how to utilize the features that these have. But Grandma, who actually is a "rocket scientist", refuses to use computers and take advantage of anything more than what's on the surface. Did do a conflict message of using the other HwS to record a program that was actually for Grandma. The program recorded and showed up on both machines. Not sure what would happen if it was deleted from the one erred. Haven't gone that far yet. They were tricked that it showed up and they did not record it. So ya see. I'd think being able to present each TV with it's own "virtual areas" for each access point connected would be really great (was going to say "Cool", but caught myself)? That'll be CES 2017. Thanks.

P.S.
I noticed your reply when I came to move this post. If you feel this area is not the place, you've basically answered my question, this can be moved or go.

Since the Hopper 3 will have the "new" GUI (Graphical User Interface), and the Hopper 2 is supposed to be getting it this month as well, are there any videos or screenshots showcasing the new interface?

Since the Hopper 3 will have the "new" GUI (Graphical User Interface), and the Hopper 2 is supposed to be getting it this month as well, are there any videos or screenshots showcasing the new interface?
Check out the CES presentation. Is there anything in particular that you're looking for?

I have heard nothing about the hopper 2 getting the new interface this month. So I wouldn't expect it.