Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
anyone else beside me wondering where the heck video on demand is since its now august?

i emailed bob mercer thursday to ask. his answer was brief and somewhat disappointing.

``i'll check. it will launch this fall.''

if i hear more. i'll pass it along.

According to Earl it's been in internal testing for a while and that a CE for VOD is soon, but what soon means who knows.

If you want a theory, I'd guess they decided they needed D10 operational to properly do the Sat portion of it. Also could be to lessen the burden on support since it's Sunday Ticket time plus the launch of the new HD, support is going to be swamped. Waiting until after that initial rush may help in that way.

my first guess when i read bob's response was.....oh, they are waiting to launch this around the same time as the first wave of hd because fall officially starts around then. but i don't want to speculate. and hopefully bob will have more soon.

I can't wait to get that CE for the VOD.

I have played with the VOD a few months ago and it was AMAZING and light years ahead of the VOD offering that Dish Network is working on.

Its good they are trying to make the software on the HR20 as stable as possible but its a bit frustrating how delayed VOD is. In the end, it will all be fine. I know folks are just anxious to test and so am I.

That memo did not come from DirecTV though, I don't think they will make the September 17th date.

They are going to really late then.

News
DIRECTV to Test VOD; Will Include HD Movies
Full service expected to roll out in July.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (April 1, 2007) -- DIRECTV says it will begin testing its Video on Demand service this month and it will include High-Definition movies.

That's according to a report in Multichannel News.

TVPredictions.com reported last year that DIRECTV was preparing an on-demand service that would include high-def. But the satcaster has been uncertain about launch dates.

Multichannel News writes that DIRECTV plans to roll out the on-demand service in July after the initial testing, which begins this month. The publication did not report whether the testing would take place in consumer homes or employee homes.

The VOD service will be available via Broadband lines connected to DIRECTV's HD DVRs.

The satcaster says it has signed about 12 networks to offer dedicated on-demand channels, including the Food Network and Discovery Channel.

In addition, 2,000 movies will be available on demand, many of which will be in high-def.

DIRECTV is hoping the VOD offering will counter cable TV's On Demand lineup, which includes thousands of hours of programming.

I can't wait to get that CE for the VOD.

I have played with the VOD a few months ago and it was AMAZING and light years ahead of the VOD offering that Dish Network is working on.

Scott, will the VOD on DTV.....Have channels like wwe 24/7 or will DTV's VOD be a different concept??

They are going to really late then.

News
DIRECTV to Test VOD; Will Include HD Movies
Full service expected to roll out in July.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (April 1, 2007) -- DIRECTV says it will begin testing its Video on Demand service this month and it will include High-Definition movies.

That's according to a report in Multichannel News.

TVPredictions.com reported last year that DIRECTV was preparing an on-demand service that would include high-def. But the satcaster has been uncertain about launch dates.

Multichannel News writes that DIRECTV plans to roll out the on-demand service in July after the initial testing, which begins this month. The publication did not report whether the testing would take place in consumer homes or employee homes.

The VOD service will be available via Broadband lines connected to DIRECTV's HD DVRs.

The satcaster says it has signed about 12 networks to offer dedicated on-demand channels, including the Food Network and Discovery Channel.

In addition, 2,000 movies will be available on demand, many of which will be in high-def.

DIRECTV is hoping the VOD offering will counter cable TV's On Demand lineup, which includes thousands of hours of programming.

you know how much credit i give swann...............zero! the part about being released in july was somewhat accurate at the time because this info was mentioned during the first quarter webcast. well, the second quarter webcast is next week so i'll be curious to find out what they say about this. i may ask unless someone beats me to it.

His projections are usually more accurate than directv's employees. More broken promises!

DirecTV themselves never said September 17th for the release date for VOD, however one of their HSP's did sent a note out to installers saying that they were aiming for that date.

Troll, you quoted NO press release. You talk about a non-DirecTV memo, and Swanns re-write from another article. Not a bit from any press release from DirecTV.if you have a fact filled press release, post it now or shut up already.

You really need to chill, or better yet take a vacation.

I did in fact post a press report, I never said it came from directv, although clearly the information provided in it did.

The title of this thread is video on demand delayed. If you don't think there is any evidence of this, I am not the one you should be attacking.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)