Video stutters/freezes

Just to update, the problems haven't stopped on my end. Sometimes it's just unbearable. Watching a show and having it stutter every 10-15 minutes is very annoying especially since I'm looking at my bill and I'm paying a whole lotta $$ for this. Zach, please refer to page 1 for my examples on YouTube of what's going on.

My signals on some of the channels I am experiencing this issue:

Channel 2 (KCBS-HD) and Channel 4 (KNBC-HD): Transponder 4, satellite 129: 56 Signal Strength
Channel 114 (E! HD): Transponder 20, Satellite 129: 53 Signal Strength

And judging from some of the comments in here, I don't think it would take very much effort for Dish to find a guy to just sit there, turn on KCBS or KNBC (channels I watch frequently), and see it for himself in just a few minutes. This isn't an issue that comes up once in a while. This happens ALL THE FREAKING TIME!

DishSubLA... Are you interested in recording some of the same shows as me and so we can determine if these stutters are happening at the same spots on both of our DVRs? If so, it would pretty much confirm that it's a Dish issue and there's no need to wonder about signal strengths, what equipment we have, what software version, etc.

Cornflakes, I have absolutely NO DOUBT you and I are experiencing the same thing at the same time as you have cited the very same channels. Other folks from other parts of the US and even on the EA have also stated on this thread that they have the very same problem. I wonder if it is more to do with the HDD and the stream due to software or how the boxes handle the stream rather than encoding. However, while I watch a lot of local news and see it on our HD LIL's, I have also seen this same problem on the SD Superstations, Animal Planet and other NON LIL or "cable" channel. It is clear from this thread that only one who has a bubble for head can't see this as anything other than a DISH caused problem and NOT a failure of a particular residential system.

Dear Cornflakes, Zach's forced response by my rather lengthy post was pretty much an example of being "blown off." Now, I don't believe that was Zach's choice. I have no doubt he was told to blow me off by his supervisor or someone else. My word, I've seen Zach and other DIRT members in another thread jump into the thread and making it clear he is hunting down down arcane PROGRAMMING details that have nothing to do with any problems a customer has regarding Dish Network service. I would presume that since he does not have the "contacts" to make a few queries in a different department and report back something regarding a truly unsatisfactory experience of the customer, he wouldn't have such "contacts" in another different department to report on programming minutia.

I have already posted here what DIRT requested in their "get lost" post, sans my personal information, yet we are to believe that from the information provided by several posters on this thread is insufficient for DIRT to at least take this to their supervisor or higher (if we believe they are contact-less, then what is the point of DIRT) to get some sense of what DISH thinks of these reports and if they are aware, then DISH's efforts with DIRT, presumably to provide some answers with problems at Dish Network as experienced by the customers is starting to be undermined by supervisors or others who probably don't want Charlie to know about this. But maybe that is part of the problem, Charlie isn't CEO right now, and the last big dip in customer service was when he stepped away from CEO duties and had to come back and fix things.

I know Ergen isn't CEO right now, but if we don't get some ATTEMPT to even TRY to investigate this instead of "I don't have contacts for that" no bother even to try except to put it all back on us who have already provide sufficient information for someone to at least ATTEMPT to find out, then I really am going to track Charlie Ergan down and let him know how much money is likely being WASTED by his managers on UNNECESSARY, expensive, tech visits and change out of what I'm cdrtain is perfectly working equipment (as per your experience, Cornflakes) all on HIS DIME just because some manager somewhere is trying to keep a lid on something customers would feel better knowing about. Instead, what info have we gotten back? NONE! Greatly unusual for the DIRT team who in ever other circumstance always give it the old college try. I do believe they have not been allowed by their managers to do the usual great job they do.

And as I have always said, if Dish tells us they know about and are trying to fix it, then we know they will do so ASAP, and we can at least know that they are doing all they can to set things right again, even if it takes a bit of time. But I guess that some manager feels it might become too public and make for bad publicity, but I would argue it would make for a very responsive company.

Cornflakes, I love you, and we feel the pain, but I'm not going to waste my time (I mean no offense to you Cornflakes. The "not waste my time" comment is for DISH) recording video because you already have and others have stated that your recordings are exactly what we experience. And I say that with love for you cornflkes, but with a frustrated tone towards DISH because they know good and well about this problem, but just don't want to admit it. It is the only logical conclusion. There is no point to recording video any more. You have done an excellent job on that front. There is more than enough information on this thread for at least a REAL preliminary response. Then we can go from there. Of course, DISH hasn't denied there is a problem; they just don't want to talk about it.

I would like to know from all those who have posted or new posters if you are experiencing this on NON-DVR boxes. That could narrow down the possibilities for DIRT and DISH.

So, I'm with you, Cornflakes, I have seen more of this since my last post, as well. Let's see how this all turns out. I'll be monitoring this thread, unlike some DISH managers.

Last edited:
I have already reported WAVE-3 problems to Matt. Still having the same problems.

Thanks and good to know. I'm not upset at any of the DIRT folks on this forum, but I do believe their managers are the obstacles and responsible for the feeble response. Keep us posted.

Oh, and what is "WAVE-3" ? Thanks.

WAVE local channel 3. Still happening right now. OTA is fine. Sat the sound is dropping out of DD to stereo at random times.

Well this is just great... Now what? Are we stuck with this? Calling Dish tech support is useless... "reboot the DVR", "we've sent a reset signal from our side that's going to fix that issue" (ha!)... I've already spent money to get a tech out here to check alignment, now what? This is annoying... Watching America's Got Talent and after the performance, one of the judges said "I have one word to say about your performance... **stutter stutter**"

Great.

I pay a lot of money for Dish and for the home theater setup that I have. This is not acceptable!! I'm still under contract, too.

Funny, other than the MTV issue, I haven't noticed any problems like this in quite a while.

DIRT Team: Any updates on this? Anything we can do? This issue is getting very out of hand, and I don't think we should have to put up with this issue!! I'm getting ready to dump Dish over this!! Help!!

I've been off the PC for a while, so this is the first chance I got to monitor this thread.

First, glad to see the DIRT team allowed by management to address us regarding this issue. I've always loved the DIRT folks on this forum, but understand that they may have bosses who "don't get it."

Second, just to affirm that the last week I have seen this same problem multiple times on my LIL's (L.A. DMA) and several other "cable" channels--in HD. I even last reported that it occurred on one of the Superstations, which are in SD not at 129. I also noticed for the first time in a month or more that the old problem of video seeming to move as if not sufficient sampling--something like judder--appear on a few channels. Dish had fixed that long-time problem just about the time the NOW present Stutter/Freeze problems we have now. One has to wonder if they are related and if this return of the old problem is Dish attempting to fix the new problem.

While I am not ready to jump ship from Dish, for various reasons, I completely am sympathetic to Cornflakes sentiments about "dumping" Dish. While this problem is IRRITATING to me and has SCREWED up dialog and my CC that I need to follow stories, I am being EXTREMELY patient with Dish in that I have some faith they will fix this and Dish is still my choice, FOR NOW.

But I have no doubt A LOT of people just don't have the patience, and such freeze and jump during a ballgame or tension moment movie, etc., is REALLY upsetting some subs out there, and they won't necessarily call to complain, they will just CANCEL Dish at the end of the commitment believing that this problem is just the way Dish sends out the signal, or that it is satellite vs. cable, etc. Some years ago, my relatives put up with constant outages on their Dish systems, losing video and audio for a few seconds several times during the day and night. When I found out, I told them this should not be happening as Dish does send it at well, and I have no such problems. They got it re-peaked and that ended their constant losing sat signal. But they told me, "We thought that's they way it works on satellite." So, you see, this may be pissing off a lot more people than Dish thinks.

Cornflakes, you do what you gotta do, and if you feel you have to stop sending Dish your money each month, I support you because it seems that may be the only way Dish ever COPS to this problem and really finds a solution. As for me, I would hope we don't have to endure this for much longer, but at some point (and I have NO commitment) I just may join the other 30 million at DirectTV because I CAN't continue to watch TV like this in the long run, and not for my obscenely high bill I pay, and I do mean my bill always gets a GASP reaction whenever a CSR pulls it up.

Advice to Clayton (or new CEO):

1. ADMIT that there is a problem (PLEASE!! Dish knows about it and is probably trying to fix it now. One would have to brain dead to believe Dish isn't aware of this problem, has seen it--given the HUGE number of times we have seen it, and probably trying to fix it. Admitting to it could help in preventing people like Cornflakes from leaving by VALIDATING the customer and pledging to fix it ASAP and are working on it and will do whatever it takes. I understand the Dish may feel copping to this may be bad publicity making Dish look inferior, but saying NOTHING, in and direct form of DENIAL, is insensitive, not valuing, and insulting to the customer and will surely lose Dish more customers than the "bad publicity." But, the best way to avoid bad publicity is to pay what it takes to get engineers who really know what they are doing.

2. If either in-house Dish or Echostar engineers can't figure it out, get someone who can!

3.Bring back the Chats and Tech Forums: While both had degenerated into big promotional shows, they were THE place to get Dish to validate its customers and Charlie or Mark, would COP to a problem (Great! They value us enough to be honest and admit it is their problem) and even explain what the problem was/is, and, of course, pledge to get it fixed, and they did fix it. It was sure great to see the CEO of a company (or Mark Jackson) say, "Yes, we know about the problem; it's not the Dish standard; we don't like it; please don't take your business elsewhere; it may take a bit of time and effort on our part, but we will fix it; we value your business; part of our mission is our commitment to the best possible PQ and audio, and this problem isn't meeting our mission; and (Charlie would say) if it doesn't get fixed soon, I'm gonna have our engineers on the next chat and they can explain to you and all of us why you aren't getting the solid picture." That was paraphrased, of course, but I do miss the chats and Tech Forums when they were HONEST with us, instead of what we are getting now from Dish (management): NOTHING! DIRT people just do what they are told by those clueless managers.

Perhaps part of the problem is that Charlie ISN'T running Dish right now, for he would surely be cracking the whip at those responsible, and that is what they seem to need. Also, Ergan's style was to be more open about some things (not all). Perhaps this is the Clayton management style of handling a wide spread problem and having come no closer to a fix than when this all started.

Let's hope a miracle happens. Cornflakes, please keep us posted, and let us know what you decide to do and if Dish ever responds to your consideration of leaving Dish. I would hope they would find some answer to this so that you would feel you wouldn't have to leave, but I support you whatever you decision is. Just let us know and keep us in the light, not the dark like Dish is doing now.

The real problem is that dish does not have a public bug track site.

Satguys & dish support aren't the same as a real bug tracking site. With it, Dish could properly get reports, get people collectively together, tracking locations, tracking reported times, etc.. and again while we could do that here .. its just not the same, can't collect and correlate the same way here as you can on bugtrack.

If only they'd get real on fixing their problems.. this cloak and dagger, behind the curtains, Barnum & Bailey's circus act of theirs needs to stop.

DishSubLA your post is on point. I'm a huge fan of Dish. I'm paying TRIPLE of what I used to pay with Verizon FIOS because I like Dish's selection of channels, and I like their VIP 922 DVR. I've invested heavily into my dedicated home theater room, and this stuttering video problem is pretty much ruining my experience each and every time.

Like you, all I really need to hear is some sort of acknowledgement that the problem is there, and they're working on fixing it. I've lived with the wobbling 129 satellite for a long while a few years ago. I didn't mind it, because everyone at Dish acknowledged it was happening, and we were all waiting for the new satellite to go up, and we knew when that was going to happen, and I was fine with it.

With this problem, there's no acknowledgement other than the nice folks in the DIRT team (Matt in particular) who have filed reports for us on our behalf. My frustration with this is, I don't think it takes a lot for Dish's engineering team to see this. Just tune to any of the local channels in LA, and watch for no more than 30 minutes. It is guaranteed to happen at least once... and usually during an important dialog :)

That's where my frustration is. If Engineering isn't seeing it, then that means the problem won't get fixed. If they know about the problem and can tell us what is going on, even if the fix is 3 months away, 5 months away, I'll happily be patient and wait.

And I totally remember the Charlie Chats where Charlie owned up to issues. In my line of business (Internet web development), when my clients' servers are down, I'm honest about it, and clients are patient and understanding, even if it takes a while to fix, and on top of that, refer business to me because of my honesty. When my old company would start making up excuses or lying about problems, that's when I got clients that yell, because CLEARLY they can see their website is not functioning properly, and they're being told that nothing's wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)