(VIDEO) Virtual Joey on Playstation 4

We need virtual joey to be available just like dishanywhere / sling is (dishanywhere / sling to work like virtual joey).

We need virtual joey to be available just like dishanywhere / sling is (dishanywhere / sling to work like virtual joey).

I sincerely doubt that will ever happen. Otherwise, what is to stop me from sharing my account with my friend who has a PS4? Additionally, how do you make the remote work when it's not in the same household as the Hopper it is controlling? You'd probably only be able to do it with a tablet or phone app that controls the virtual Joey via a Dish Anywhere type of connection. And again, that's just asking for a new Virtual Joey based account stacking scenario. I can't imagine Dish will ever open themselves up to that. (Viewing remotely on a phone or tablet is very different than viewing remotely on a device that is designed to always be connected to a TV.)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Unless it is cheaper than monthly Joey fee,I do not see this working for my son. Why would he want to take the time to boot up his PS4, then load an app, when for the same exact monthly fee he can just turn on his TV and be watching right away.

Unless it is cheaper than monthly Joey fee,I do not see this working for my son. Why would he want to take the time to boot up his PS4, then load an app, when for the same exact monthly fee he can just turn on his TV and be watching right away.

Obviously it's not going to be beneficial for everyone but it will solve some issues for some. With the Virtual Joey you can now get satellite on a TV that does not have any cable run to it. You can just bring your PlayStation to any TV you want in the house.

I myself do not see an issue with having to turn on the PlayStation to watch TV. It's not like it takes a long time for it to start up. My PS3 starts up faster then my surround sound and that's something I turn on every time I watch TV.

In Reply to your post [post=3351301]#3351301[/post]
Obviously it's not going to be beneficial for everyone but it will solve some issues for some. With the Virtual Joey you can now get satellite on a TV that does not have any cable run to it. You can just bring your PlayStation to any TV you want in the house.

I myself do not see an issue with having to turn on the PlayStation to watch TV. It's not like it takes a long time for it to start up. My PS3 starts up faster then my surround sound and that's something I turn on every time I watch TV.

Agreed, but I can do this now with one of my Joey's and the wifi stick that Dish gave me during the install. I am not saying I don't like the virtual joey idea, just that if the monthly cost is the same, I personally will stick with the hardware joeys.

You get more from a hardware Joey then you do a Virtual Joey, the Virtual Joey is missing some things like Apps and Home Media support. But I guess you can use your Playstation to do those things anyways. :D

If it costs the same, which is probably will (unfortunately), you can get an extra joey for nothing. So for those who are not under contract, they have a new "receiver" and they are are still not under contract and haven't paid an extra cent for the equipment.

In theory, it would be less equipment plugged in and easier for people who aren't tech savvy, but if you have a PS3 or PS4, you are probably tech savvy enough to benefit from that.

For a person like me without a Hopper, there is no gain to switch over if I have to pay for the "virtual joey" every month. I'd be under contract then and paying notably more. I'd have HD on two screens, but for a notably higher price.

If it costs the same, which is probably will (unfortunately), you can get an extra joey for nothing. So for those who are not under contract, they have a new "receiver" and they are are still not under contract and haven't paid an extra cent for the equipment.

In theory, it would be less equipment plugged in and easier for people who aren't tech savvy, but if you have a PS3 or PS4, you are probably tech savvy enough to benefit from that.

For a person like me without a Hopper, there is no gain to switch over if I have to pay for the "virtual joey" every month. I'd be under contract then and paying notably more. I'd have HD on two screens, but for a notably higher price.

I haven't thought of this scenario yet. If a customer wanted to add a TV they could just use the Virtual Joey App and hopefully avoid any kind of contract renewal and technician visit. This is the advantage that I have been overlooking. I could see people preferring this over paying for an upgrade and renewing a contract or even just purchasing a Joey altogether.

Unless the fee is less than the regular joey, I really do not see a need for a virtual joey except in special cases. If the fee was $4/month, I bet it would be somewhat popular.

All of the pricing information is speculation. I'm pretty certain that Dish has NOT announced pricing for ANY of the new Joey varieties.

It's all speculation until we get official pricing from Dish. Speculating is what we live for here though. ;)

PS4 is better than Xbox One (I preferred Xbox 360 over PS3.)

I've come to the same conclusion. I pre-ordered my PS4 the day they announced the $100 price difference and Xbox announced that they wouldn't support rented games (since backed off).

It was an easy decision since no one has backwards compatibility.

If the PS4 had backwards compatibility I'd buy one right now. My PS3 broke but got got my son a new game for Christmas so I need to get it fixed misread of just buying a PS4.

If the PS4 had backwards compatibility I'd buy one right now. My PS3 broke but got got my son a new game for Christmas so I need to get it fixed misread of just buying a PS4.

Is there some sort of ability to upgrade? I know my nephews paid some fees per game to get the Xbox 360 version turned into the Xbox One version...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)