Playing a DVR event at a certain spot reboots 722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
Had it happen at the exact same spot in the recording 2 times. I'm guessing a bad spot on the HDD. So I changed the name of the recording to "Do not delete or play" and protected it, to prevent the same spot on the hard drive from getting reused. Wise decision, or just overkill/useless? Will the overnight FScheck move the recording if it does a defrag?

When (in the past) my 508 did that, it was the first sign the hard drive was dying. I do not enough how DISH does their HD housekeeping to know if files would be moved or if a defective file could be moved.

It should not be necessary to defrag the filesystem normally, so I doubt any scheduled process does this. Also, IIRC the 722 uses xfs, so there will be no fscheck on reboot. The only potential way to make sure the bad blocks get weeded out is to reformat it, and depending on the formatting flags Dish uses, that might not fix the problem. You might have to do a low-level format of the drive while connected to a PC to map out any bad blocks. If you are going to do all that, you might as well just get a new HDD or receiver, depending on whether it is owned or leased, respectively. You'd just have to copy your recordings to an external USB drive first, so you don't lose anything else.

Marking the bad recording do not delete should prevent other recordings from experiencing the same problem in theory.

Ted

My 722k has rebooted three times in the last four days. All around 9PM. Obviously, I was watching a recording, since I do not watch live TV. Does this mean that the HD is going out. I have only had this 722k, since last March.

My 722k has rebooted three times in the last four days. All around 9PM. Obviously, I was watching a recording, since I do not watch live TV. Does this mean that the HD is going out. I have only had this 722k, since last March.

Not necessarily. Is it the same recording each time? Does it reboot when you watch things at other times?

From my experience unless it is only one recorded event that does it, it is a good chance the hard drive is dying. There have been cases where grounding was the problem but more with 612's.

You and Dare2be could do a memory dump (If it is like the 612 s allow) and see if that helps.

I had this happen on a movie several months back. Same spot kept causing a system reboot. I deleted it and have had no other similar issues.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not necessarily. Is it the same recording each time? Does it reboot when you watch things at other times?

No, I rarely rewatch a recording. Most are deleted after watching. It has only rebooted once since my original post, but it was around 9 PM.

How do you do a memory dump on a 722K?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts