Viewing the International Space Station at Night

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclone

Proud Stiff Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Maryland
A few years ago, the local New radio station would sometimes announce when you would be able to see the Space Shuttle or Mir Space Station as it passed over, usually at dusk. I haven't heard them do this for a while, but now that the International Space Station (ISS) is up in orbit, the sights are quite regular.

I have found two websites that I find particularly useful in getting a glance at the ISS. The first is Nasa's Human Space Flight sightings page. Just enter your city at this page and it will list out the times that you next been able to view the ISS. I have found it quite dependable. When the shuttle is up there, it too will be listed.

NASA - JSC Programs

The next site is the ISS Obital Tracking page, which puts up a real time map of the earth and the ISS's location.

I have had a lot of fun taking the kids out in the summer evenings and getting ready to spot the ISS. We usually go to a playground that has a good view of the sky and take a few snacks for a night time picnic. Glow sticks are fun too.

One time when the Shuttle was up there, it and the ISS had just separated and I was able to see the two of them tracking very closely as they crossed the sky. It was pretty neat. Shame I'm not a good photographer.

Here are some cool ISS pics from Nasa's APOD site.

iss_shuttle_legault_c88.jpg

Shuttle and ISS crossing the Sun.

ISSLunarTransit_morana_f.jpg

isstrans_laskowski.jpg

ISS crossing the Moon.

sts114iss_ayiomamitis.jpg

Another solar crossing.

iss_sts124.jpg

I usually find that I don't spot it until a minute after if has come up over the horizon, but I haven't missed it yet when looking for it.

Usually I only bother to go out to look for it when the duration is 4 or more minutes. Less than that and its likely low to the horizon and I'd probably miss it.

I've seen it several times, a couple when the shuttle was a little ways behind it. One time we even saw a bright flash coming from the shuttle.

My daughter and I tend to go out in the Winter time when it gets dark earlier and see it a few times each year. I agree with the earlier post that it is more fund to watch when it is "up" farther in the sky so you have a better chance of finding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)