Viewsat 2000 Extreme

Status
Please reply by conversation.
gizzer
I would recommend getting a separate dish/lnb for KU...you can always have a dedicated dish for KU and still be able to use the C-band

Iceberg said:
gizzer
I would recommend getting a separate dish/lnb for KU...you can always have a dedicated dish for KU and still be able to use the C-band

Thanks Icedberg...I am now researching exactly what to get...stationary or a small motorized one. I do not want to go thru the digging and installing a new post in the yard...there is room though...so I will be looking for a house mount...Your suggestions are REALLY welcome...BTW: Flashed the new Extreme...review follows!
Regards
jeff

Flashed the Exterme! I cannot stop tinkering I guess!

gizzer777 said:
There is "new" firmware posted dated Dec 13 for the Extreme....no mention if it is the original or if new, what it does...I will look around the viewsat info pages and see what is what later.

Ok, just took a look....New firmware is 2013. The unit came with 2.12...strange convention, since there is no decimal point in the new file, it might be older than what is in there now...HOWEVER if the extreme began shipping the end of Nov-1st week in December, then it is possible this "new" firmware is an incremental upgrade (maybe bug fixes...really do not think I will mess with it until I find out more!)

OK, I just cannot stand new stuff being around and not going for it!

1st off the firmware on the Viewsat page is really V2.13 as opposed to 2.12 which came with the unit. (You find this out after you flash and check versions thru the receiver.)

The procedure is a little wierd.

1st you turn OFF the receiver (I NEVER PLUG A SERIAL CABLE IN WITH POWER ON ANYWAY!) and then launch the loader program ON THE PC(from the Viewsat site). Select the NEW FLASH file after configuring the comm port on your PC and then select PC>STB...START IT UP AND ...THEN turn on the receiver and the upload begins!! I also d/l the old firmware using STB>PC function and starting the receiver's loader program in setup (in the RECEIVER)!

The upload on the pc will wait until you turn on the Viewsat...then the transfer begins!

WAIT WAIT WAIT UNTIL THE UNIT REBOOTS...DO NOT INTERRUPT IT!!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!

Ist impressions....MAJOR speed increase of the menu system. I MEAN LIKE REALLY FAST SWITCHING NOW (it was pretty quick before) I am hoping that maybe the blind SCAN is also faster but we shall see!)I will be fooling around with the set today and will update this THREAD as needed (depending on what I find).

Also, you DO NOT lose your programmed sats and channels!! I guess there are different areas either in the eprom or there is some other non volitale device holding that info!
:up
I used my laptop since it had a full chg and if I lost house power, I would not wind up with a braindead unit!!! If you do not have a laptop...use a UPS!!!

I posted this in the C Band section too....I finally went out to my 8ft Wineguard C/KU 8 ft Perforated dish to replace the servo motor (changes polarity for my 4dtv setup)...Had not visited it inside for 10 yrs.

To my delight, I found a Norstat 8000 C LNB which I apparently upgraded 10 yrs ago...ALONG WITH 4 OR THE LARGEST UNINHABITED WASP NESTS I HAVE EVER SEEN surrounding my LNB's and feedhorn!!!! (I am lucky I did not go when it was warm outside!!!) After replacing the servo motor and clearing out the nests, My C band is now just like new again (Major pickup in Signal and Quality strength!)...will be playing with the viewsat this afternoon but I am sure I will see a signal strength jump on the ku side as well!

Jeff

Last edited:
Update....12/23

Well, everything is a bit faster with the firmware upgrade! Blind Scan on AMC 3 takes under 5 minutes just scanning for FTA stuff. The pic is excellent quality (some of the channels do not have sound but I guess that is normal?) I did a master clear and started fresh today so off I go to get some more sats!! I am pretty sold on the VIEWSAT 2000 EXTREME! Will not be using the component video outs since no matter what I send is upconverted anyway by my HDTV. Currently using SVHS out and Toslink! My BUD tweak yesterday really did help with signal quality! I still want to get a dedicated smaller dish for it though...Awaiting Iceberg's recommendations + anyone elses!!!

Jeff

giz
the PBS statuions on AMC3 have AC-3 audio...need a separate audio receiver for those (and the Viewsat needs to output AC-3)

Iceberg said:
giz
the PBS statuions on AMC3 have AC-3 audio...need a separate audio receiver for those (and the Viewsat needs to output AC-3)

Yep....Am getting it now with the Toslink into my Pioneer 72TX Receiver
Pretty nice!!
Jeff

I keep hearing that the Blind Scan feature of this receiver is a lie.
I know it shows up in the software, but heard if you delete all the TP's it has no Blind Scan ability. It only scans the TP's listed. Is this true? I'd sure like to know if these Viewsats really have Blind Scan or not.

The new Extreme (according to everything I have read) DOES have a blind scan. The older models have a software upgrade to get blind scan

Yes, I know that Ice.
But I keep hearing from actual users that it doesn't.
Anyone deleted all the TP's from the list and tested it?
I don't know, I'm confused about this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.