Viewsat 2000 Extreme

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
The Viewsat 2000 Extreme arrived a few minutes ago....Will attempt to set it up and keep all informed. If i do not surface for a while...send bloodhounds!
jeff

Viewsat 2000Extreme 1st report!

OK, I am a 4DTV guy (since they began) and I have spent about 3 hrs playing with this new (neat) toy. Dish is an Old Wineguard 8ft with a .6 ku lnb (have not split out the C band to the Extreme yet). My 4dtv is a new 922, now with an HDD200 High def add on. I was the one who saved the old 920 with a new battery after the 922 arrived. (Yes, I buy my toys at Christmas time!!!

After quite a bit of fiddling, I landed on 4DTV W3 = FTA sat AMC3.

I did the blind scan after fiddling with the antenna settings (using the 4dtv to move the dish and woa...when it found 8 channels, I really knew it! The Quality meter pegged at 100!

Picture is extremely good so far (PBS is almost HD quality on my HP 43" Plasma!!!!) and I have not played with the sound yet. I am only hooked to the COMPOSITE VIDEO (of all things) just because it is easier to figure out what I am doing, since everything else is routed through my HDMI inputs on a Pioneer 72tx. Can't wait until I use the component outputs on the extreme routed thru my receiver and converted to HDMI (tomorrow...I am whooped) Unfortunately for the Extreme, my newly ordered HD200 box came in for the 4dtv and I had to get that setup too!

Will report something more as I learn about this neat receiver.....I am obviously a total NOOB at FTA but I think I am going to like it! (gotta teach these guys how to write a manual! <grin>
Later
jeff

Last edited:
Thank you Pete! <a bit more on the Extreme2000

Sorry about that...I am also new to the board (obviously)

OK, a little more now that I am beginning to get some channels...

The build quality of the Extreme seems to be solid, and it looks just like the 2000 Platinum. The rear now sports the 3 component out jacks and a Toslink out (do not know if the Platinum had the Toslink but with the new type cables...I like it as well as coax! (which is good because i have 3 spare Toslink inputs on my Pioneer Elite 72tx Receiver and the coax are taken!

I have nothing to compare the Blind scan feature to but it sure helped me out and rather quickly too! Took under 5 minutes on AMC3 and I am scanning another bird now. My biggest problem is that I know the satellites by their 4DTV names and have to refer to the position on Lyngsat to get the FTA names.

That really cool feature is the F2 button where you can bring from 4-9 split views of different channels.(on the same bird)

The unit responds to the remote quickly and the response time is faster then the 922 4DTV.

The GUI menu system is really simple and even I can manuver my way around with little trouble (instictive I guess)
Have not seen anything on the guide yet but only have 2 sats programmed so far...we shall see who is broadcasting the guide.

More later
Jeff

FTA has no guide to speak of in the U.S., its a feature that we really can't use.

You occasionally get guide info off of the audio channels on the BEV/Echostar birds... just to let you know that the guide feature on your receiver actually works :)

gizzer

you might be able to rename the satellites to make them the same as the 4DTV names....most receivers will allow you to rename them :)

Thank you Iceberg and Tron

Iceberg is correct (AS USUAL!), The Extreme 2000 will permit me to rename satellites and regain my sanity! Tron...too bad about the Guide but.......oh well, thanks for letting me know.

It is almost like rediscovering satellite again for the 1st time way back in the 70's...stayed up until 2:30am playing and marveling at the quality of picture and being able to see realtime foreign TV! Since I really have no clear idea what I am doing....BLIND SEARCH does everything for me until I learn more! I LOVE THAT FEATURE OF THE VIEWSAT EXTREME!
After reconsideration, I think the manual is adequate (barely) for those with prior satellite experience and would be a snap for someone with FTA experience!

Another neat FEATURE IS THAT THE Extreme can limit normal channel search to All, Free etc....a nice touch! (Not in the Blind scan mode though)...No problem since you can assign the found channels as you please to different Favorite groups, move them between groups. etc...This thing is really something else! (Again I am new to FTA so I have no basis for comparison)

Unfortunately my actuator servo motor went out last night so I am stuck on one polarity until the new one comes in. Also have ordered some new component cables and Optical cable, since I want to make the most of what I am seeing/hearing.

BTW: is there enough FTA stuff out there on C band to warrant splitting out a C band feed for the FTA. With the 4DTV, HDD200 HD addon, and noW the FTA receiver...it is a jungle behind my system!

Got about 130 channels using blind search ON 2 SATS (AMC3 and G10) before my Sat actuator motor quit. A nice touch is when it locates a pay channel, it puts up a green $ sign so you don't have to waste time with it. Adding/ Deleting channels is a snap with the GUI menu system too.

With 4DTV on the virtual channels (those above 24), I do not think the motor has to work so it has not been used too much during the past 5 years (poor thing probably was horrified with being excercised so much)....should have a new one by Friday

IN THE MEAN TIME CAN I ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ON THIS BEAUTY? I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP ANYONE THAT I CAN!

Last edited:
I moved this to the review area and made a sticky :)

Thanks for the review giz! Really appreciate it :)

gizzer777 said:
Iceberg is correct (AS USUAL!), The Extreme 2000 will permit me to rename satellites and regain my sanity!
glad you are able to rename them.

It is almost like rediscovering satellite again for the 1st time way back in the 70's...stayed up until 2:30am playing and marveling at the quality of picture and being able to see realtime foreign TV! Since I really have no clear idea what I am doing....BLIND SEARCH does everything for me until I learn more! I LOVE THAT FEATURE OF THE VIEWSAT EXTREME!
I felt the same way the first time I got a blind scan receievr

BTW: is there enough FTA stuff out there on C band to warrant splitting out a C band feed for the FTA. With the 4DTV, HDD200 HD addon, and noW the FTA receiver...it is a jungle behind my system!
there is a fair amount of C-Band stuff that is FTA. Here is a list...there are feeds too that are C-band
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistCBandUS.html

Uh Oh...more wires!!!

Thanks again Iceberg!

I have the splitters and coax...Looks like more wiring to be done!

Perhaps when I get a break from playing with this receiver, I will create some short stubby interconnects and eliminate some of the HUGE clump of RG6 stuff behind my eguipment! (I really hate F connectors!)

Thanks again
Jeff

Last edited:
Hmmmm....Just discovered a card slot (right in front of my face) since the unit is black and not silver it did not jump out at me....wonder if it is active! Will advise as I go further! I imagine if the slot is active, you could purchase programming???

BTW: This unit does not even feel warm after 5 hrs on!

Last edited:
card slot

The card slot was for XTV (adult channels on IA5). I think they were bought out and are going to get the channel going again. We do have cards available soon for $55 for 14 months.
Cheers

Thank you Rob....

I was curious....Not really into the heavy adult stuff though! Maybe the wife would want it....will call if she does (or maybe I can be persuaded!) <grin>

best regards
jeff

Last edited:
Any more comments on the component outputs? I currently have a platium which just has svideo and composite, but interested in the components if there is a great visual difference...thanks!

Hi Sarcoptic
I will be doing a comparison between s-vhs and component by the weeks end, FOR YOU, when my new cables and Servo motor for the BUD come in (currently stuck in V polarity since the servo died last night). I do not think I will see to much difference because the HD Plasma upconverts all signals to 720P.
Before I make the final setup thru my receiver's HDMI circuit for conversion to Hdmi out from component in on the Viewsat, I will test out the SVHS vs the component for you direct to the TV!
From past experience, the only differences I have noticed on other equipment is in the area of color saturation which is better with components! From Component to HDMI, I cannot tell the difference.
We shall see how the extreme does! Even using a composite Video cable direct to the TV last night, gave me an almost HD looking picture on the Plasma HD on AMC3 PBS...Normally I would never consider Composite but I was experimenting and had run out of better CABLES. I compared that picture directly to an actual Hi def broadcast from my 4DTV/HDD200 and was hardpressed to really discern a difference (it was different but NOT that much better) Now other stations I have looked at on the Extreme, while good, are no match for the 4DTV HD (would never expect them to be. However non HD on the 4DTV digital side is about equal, so far, to the FTA Extreme. That is saying something too!
Plz stay tuned as I am new to FTA and discovering new stuff daily about the Extreme model!!!
regards
jeff

Last edited:
Viewsat Extreme 2000 finally announced on the Viewsat Homepage...

There is "new" firmware posted dated Dec 13 for the Extreme....no mention if it is the original or if new, what it does...I will look around the viewsat info pages and see what is what later.

Ok, just took a look....New firmware is 2013. The unit came with 2.12...strange convention, since there is no decimal point in the new file, it might be older than what is in there now...HOWEVER if the extreme began shipping the end of Nov-1st week in December, then it is possible this "new" firmware is an incremental upgrade (maybe bug fixes...really do not think I will mess with it until I find out more!)

Last edited:
Thanks Iceberg

Being into computers since 1976, I am all too familiar with fashing Eproms and EEPROMS. The old saying is if it is not broken then don't fix it....if the flash does not take and there is no provision for a b\u somewhere, you have a braindead unit.

I still cannot figure out if this is a new firmware or an older one...the new one on the site says 2030......(no decimal or the zero is wrong on the file name) The unit came with 2.12 (per the setup menu)...The decimal point is messed up on one of them.... It is p[ossible there is no decimal in the new one because of PC filename issues ie: .bin! I am going back to the site to look at their naming conventions on other units!

Update: this appears on their download site: "NOTE: UPDATED .PDF USER MANUALS DESCRIBING MOTOR CONTROL, BLINDSCAN, AND OTHER FEATURES COMING SOON!"

Also the platinium has new firmware labeled the same 2030! no old firmware is listed. Bad idea IMHO since sometimes the newer firmware does not work or breaks something else and you want to go back!...there should be a provision to backup existing firmware then...will have to keep looking before I try anything.

New features or better performance would be worth the upgrade flash....you still hold your breath and do it connected to a UPS!

One PC board I had actually came with a backup BIOS, just in case of failure during a flash. I have also flashed my Cellular phone to add a few new features and enhance performance!

There is an option on the receiver to "Upgrade"...looks like some type of onliine Download provision. The Extreme came withe the usual RS232 cable for connection to a PC and has a loader program on the Viewsat site....I really wish I knew what it did or if the listed one is newer!

Do not want to break the new toy ...+ usually when you do a flash...all the setup work that was done must be redone! Not sure there that stuff is stored on the receiver though...could be in other non volatile ram somewhere!

Jeff

Last edited:
Just looked at their site a note appears:
"NOTE: UPDATED .PDF USER MANUALS DESCRIBING MOTOR CONTROL, BLINDSCAN, AND OTHER FEATURES COMING SOON!:

Update:
Spoke a little too soon....Just installed the loader program and there is an option for PC to STB AND STB to PC + Upload and download!

The STB to PC and Download options are currently greyed out but that is probably because there is no connection at the moment! Makes me feel a little safer! I will have to turn my PC's serial port back on in its Bios or maybe use my laptop if I do a flash....still want both on my UPS first!

Also the "new" firmware has "Newosd" in its name...presumably New On Screen Display....Hmmmmm I wonder if anyone with a Platinum has done a flash?

Last edited:
Whoops...I missed it again

In my haste I said that the blindscan function would not let you chose from free. scrambled etc...WELL IT WILL! Got my servo motor today cleaned out 4 huge wasp nests (vacant thank goodness) and am having another go learning about this pup.

I might have to get another dish and dedicate it to the Extreme...the polarity switching from the 4dtv is driving me nutso...
Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.