Viewsat plat with older chaparral set up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hickory

Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
USA
I have aquired a viewsat plat. I know they are not very good for FTA, but it was free. My problem is with the older Chaparral dish set up. The dish is about 8ft across. With a Chaparral LNB set up. It has a polar rotar and a Norsat 4000A KU LNB with a Norsat 8000 C Band lnb. I'm only hooked up to the KU side. I use the Chaparral monter to move the dish and rotate polarity. There is a siganal of around 65% on the viewsat but no quality. I tried to scan AMC 3 with no chanels aquired. I believe it is because of the polar rotar. I have installed Viewsat factory sat file.

Set up:
No dsique
standard lnb
no 22K

Last edited:
What other settings did you have on your receiver? Well, I would go to this link and input a strong transponder for the satellite you are trying to get.

Then, use the Level and Quality indicators on the receiver to get your dish pointed at the right place.

Has this dish been in place for some time? Was it already working? Or, does it need aligned to point at the satellites?

Thanks for the link.
It does seem that most of those are gone. The ones for AMC 3 are. The settings I have are as follows:
Sat = Amc 3
LNB power = off
LNB Type = standard
LNB Freq = 10750
22khz = off
Tp Freq = 11720
Disque = none
motor = none

I did get a lock on galaxy 28 on tp 11780. But scan revealed nothing. I probably need a updated sat file for viewsat.

The only receivers I'm familiar with that can operate polarotors are older Pansat models and perhaps some Fortec receivers. I betting the Viewsat would require a voltage controlled LNBF.

umm

If he uses the C-Band receiver to control the polarity that works fine. Set it to Horz and then He can blind scan or do manual scan for each horz tp. If he locates Horz tp's he can then switch the C-Band to vert and scan them in and build his channel list keeping in mind he has to manually switch the polarity. I did that for years worked fine using a Pansat 2700 and I could have used it to control the polarity, but I was to lazy to hook it up. :)

Make sure he is using KU satellites using the correct polarity and tps that match that polarity. One thing that might help is to scan through all the transponders to check for signals because sometimes they can be inverted on the FTA receiver.

Thanks for the link.
It does seem that most of those are gone. The ones for AMC 3 are. The settings I have are as follows:
Sat = Amc 3
LNB power = off
LNB Type = standard
LNB Freq = 10750
22khz = off
Tp Freq = 11720
Disque = none
motor = none

I did get a lock on galaxy 28 on tp 11780. But scan revealed nothing. I probably need a updated sat file for viewsat.

Try LNB power "ON"

Thanks iceberg for the up to date list. The lnb is already being powered by a 24v power supply. I hear what you are saying about controlling the polarity with the chaparral. I think my main problem the crappy blind scan and not having up to date list. Hopefully all take care of. Will let you know.

Manually change polarity.....

I know there are some out there that prefer doing manual H/V switching, but speaking from experience, ditch the antique polarotor, and go with all voltage controlled LNBF's. Once the skew is set, it's good across the arc.
(except AMC-1 Ku)
I have 5 receivers active, that all share the same "Dish farm" (thru switches)and they can each see either polarity on either band.
Blind scans are oh so easy this way! :D:up

Agreed Eurosport... You can also take it a step further and go with a C-Band bandstacked LNBF. Then you only have one cable out to the dish, and any number of receivers can see both polarities. The only other wiring you have to consider is the actuator power and sensing cable.

are you sure

Silly Question but are you sure you are connected to the KU coax? If you are accidently connected to the C-Band those settings will never work. 24 volts to the servo sounds high to me but I don't remember for sure. The servo should require 2 differenct voltages to switch polarities. If your C-Band receiver has a VCII board inside you should unhook that receiver from power and remove it. You should be able to control your polarity with your old analog receiver. Just keep in mind when you blind scan it is only going see the polarity the analog receiver is set too. If you are using some kind of power supply to supply voltage to the servo it would have to be able to send 2 different voltages to switch the servo. If it is a constant 24 volts to the servo my guess its hung on one polarity. Also if you do not have an analog receiver hooked up then you will have to power the lnb with your viewsat. If you are using an analog receiver then it is possible the viewsat can't blindscan with the lnb power set to off. Then you should consider using LOOP out if the Viewsat has that and set the polarity with the Analog and then turn it off and allow the Viewsat to control the lnb...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)