Viewsat Ultra w/DirecTV WorldDirect 36" (87cm) Dish for IA-5, 97° WEST satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boytroy88

Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Am trying to get the above named combo to work but to no avail. I'm a complete newbie and have tried searching and reading what I can find here at this site. Have tried what was written in this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=89009&highlight=directv+dish+36 (Don't know much thread) cause I live close to where the other poster is at but still nothing. My info is as follows:

Equipment:
DirecTV WorldDirect 87cm Dish with standard Directv 95 and 101 lnbs.
Viewsat Ultra receiver
No motor

My coordinates:
Latitude = 33.87, Longitude = 118.08 West (Artesia, CA)

Using GeoSatFinder it tells me the following:
True Azimuth: 145.30
Compass Reading: 132.60
Dish Elevation: 44.60
LNBF Rotation: -28.19

I tried using the align-a-site device and have set the settings to the following:

Azimuth between 44 & 45
Skew: Internet between -28 & -29
Compass: between 145 & 146

The only thing I see on the Antennae setup screen is Strength: 71 but no Quality.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Also, if I wanted to get the AMC-4 Sat using the included 101 lnb can I use the 4x1 Disecq that's included with the Viewsat Ultra?

Thanks in advance!!

Direct TV LNBs are for receiving Direct TV satellites. If you looking to receive FTA satellites, you're going to need LNBs designed to receive FTA satellites. Different frequencies.

All DSS (Dish net, Direct tv, etc) LNB's use circular polarization. FSS uses Horizontal & Vertical polarization. You need to swap out the LNBF with one designed for standard Ku and you'll be good to go.

The WordDirect dish has a KU Band LNB on it for 95 so that will work for his setup. Doont use the one for 101 because that wont work.

Here is what I get for the numbers
elevation-44.6
azimuth-130 (approx)
skew- negative 28
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/LNBF-Installation.htm

The LNB LO on the viewsat should be 10750 (Standard)

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Also, if I wanted to get the AMC-4 Sat using the included 101 lnb can I use the 4x1 Disecq that's included with the Viewsat Ultra?
yes. You would just need to get a different KU LNB since the DirecTV LNB wont work.

The WordDirect dish has a KU Band LNB on it for 95 so that will work for his setup. Doont use the one for 101 because that wont work.

Here is what I get for the numbers
elevation-44.6
azimuth-130 (approx)
skew- negative 28
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/LNBF-Installation.htm

The LNB LO on the viewsat should be 10750 (Standard)

yes. You would just need to get a different KU LNB since the DirecTV LNB wont work.

So if I were to use the align-a-site device I should set it to those settings and make sure the levels are center and I should be almost good to go? Ok..let me try those and hopefully I'll have some good news to report. Thanks guys...again!

Oh, the negative 28 skew...should I be using the "internet" section's negative 28??? Thanks!

Last edited:
magnetic offset

I read over the above, and I didn't see anyone make a big point out of the magnetic error for your area.
If you understand and appreciate, and are taking it into consideration, then padon me.
If not, let me point out that south is not south, everywhere across North America. :)

Using GeoSatFinder it tells me the following:
True Azimuth: 145.30
Compass Reading: 132.60
Start out with the suggested compass reading for your alignment.

By the way, you're not the first to ask about that dish.
Are they showing up surplus or something?
If so, point me at one - I'm your neighbor. :)

I read over the above, and I didn't see anyone make a big point out of the magnetic error for your area.
If you understand and appreciate, and are taking it into consideration, then padon me.
If not, let me point out that south is not south, everywhere across North America. :)

Start out with the suggested compass reading for your alignment.

By the way, you're not the first to ask about that dish.
Are they showing up surplus or something?
If so, point me at one - I'm your neighbor. :)

They were selling it on ebay for as low as $55....I think there's one right now going for around $60 shipped...but that one is 36" X 18"...I think the WordDirect ones are 36" X 22" (someone correct me if I'm wrong....)

Yes....I do understand that the magnetic south is different....

Hmmm...still doesn't work...please tell me if I'm doing this wrong...since this dish does not allow for the lnb to be moved but rather it has a skew setting for the dish...if I'm suppose to skew the lnb -28 degree....wouldn't that just be me tilting the dish (dish facing skywards) 28 degrees to the left?? The dish has a skew setting in the back that ranges from 25 degrees to 145 degrees. So what I did was set it at 62 degrees (90-28). Is that right?? What else should I do if the quality setting does not move?? I'm getting a 70 on the strength but zero on quality.

Hmmm...still doesn't work...please tell me if I'm doing this wrong...since this dish does not allow for the lnb to be moved but rather it has a skew setting for the dish...if I'm suppose to skew the lnb -28 degree....wouldn't that just be me tilting the dish (dish facing skywards) 28 degrees to the left?? The dish has a skew setting in the back that ranges from 25 degrees to 145 degrees. So what I did was set it at 62 degrees (90-28). Is that right?? What else should I do if the quality setting does not move?? I'm getting a 70 on the strength but zero on quality.

If you are standing behind the LNB when you skew it, make sure you turn it like you'd be making a left hand turn when you skew the dish.

If you are standing behind the LNB when you skew it, make sure you turn it like you'd be making a left hand turn when you skew the dish.

Wow...thanks for the quick reply!

When you say behind the lnb do you mean facing the dish??:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts