Viewsat VS Pro?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jscrimshaw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
London ON
Ok... So I went for a walk with my wife through the neighborhood when we came upon a garage sale...
we were looking around and I found a Viewsat VS Pro receiver and the guy was selling it for 10 bucks.. Now I know that these receivers were used for piracy but I am not into that..
I talked the guy down to 5 bucks and bought it (came with the remote) I am going to be wall mounting a 39" Dish and Motor and I was wondering if this receiver are any good for true FTA.
If so... I guess 5 bucks was a great investment if the receiver works:)

Great price on a good receiver.

Would not be my choice for a primary receiver. Great 2nd room receiver, but beware of flaky motor control and "slower than snail racing" scanning.

I have one, in fact it was my first receiver. As Brian mentioned the motor control isn't the best. In fact mine wandered quite a bit making me think that I had constant dish alignment issues. I cant tell you how many trips up to the roof I made. Once I purchased a Fortec Star Mercury II my motor control problems went away. The Viewsat VS Pro now is used in my bedroom hooked up to the secondary outputs on my dual LNB. It works fine when its not having to operate the motor anymore. I use the Viewsat to record some programing thats on when I'm sleeping. I paid a heck of a lot more than $5 for mine. ;)

any time you can get a "decent" receiver for that cheap (and it works) GRAB IT!

I picked up the other day at a place called Unique (think goodwill but more upscale) I picked up for 15 bucks a Directv receiver with ASTC tuner in it. Had a card in it and everything. Works great (dont care about D* but get a couple channels which loads the OTA guide) Much better than those crappy converter boxes for OTA ;) (oh and this outputs 1080 too)

Great finds, Jscrimshaw and Iceberg! I'm somewhat surprised I haven't found any "useless" FTA receivers at thrift stores since the hackers went down...

me neither tron. All I've seen are old crappy Directv receivers. But I saw two of the D*/OTA units and this one was cheaper so I figured "for 15 bucks I cant go wrong"

today I went back there and the only D*/FTA receiver there was another D* unit with OTA tuner
they wanted 30 bucks....no thanks

tons of crappy vcr's though :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)