Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
What a good morning. I see my ViP 211 picked up the new L524 software release and here's what I've seen so far:
  • New "My DVR" menu item (#9) on the Main Menu
  • Under the new My DVR menu, you can go to "My Recordings" (option 1) or "Remove DVR" (option 2).
This is all I've found so far, but I'm giving :up to Dish for giving us a way to reach the "My Recordings" without using the "DVR" button on their remote. I can now navigate with my TV's remote (minus the skip forward/back)! :D

Also, the "Remove DVR" is good as it gives us a means to do an orderly removal of the external USB drive instead of yanking the USB cable and hoping the 211 wasn't in the middle of a write operation. I'm hoping this release will also fix my recording freeze issue, where I/O to the external drive seems to halt during recording event(s).

Since I received the update, I've notice that the receiver has locked up and stopped recognizing my remote commands several times while I'm coming in or out of DVR mode to live TV.

I've had to do a soft reboot each time.

Since I received the update, I've notice that the receiver has locked up and stopped recognizing my remote commands several times while I'm coming in or out of DVR mode to live TV.

I have the 211K and i've noticed that my unit is freezing up a lot now to. Especially when watching certain OTA channels.

Tonight should be a test: I record "Smallville" OTA, "Gray's Anatomy" OTA, and "The Office" + "30 Rock" off our ONE High Def Local-into-Local NBC channel. If the new software is going to barf, that should do it...

Last edited:

I have the L524 update also and my receiver has started freezing when I tune-in OTA 2.1 (PBS).

It re-boots itself a few times before it will respond to the remote.

Well, my ViP 211 still locks up reading and writing to the EHD with this version of the firmware. :(

Last night on my 211 with external hard drive, I started having the freeze, lock up and reboot issue when watching two DVR'd programs , one show was from an OTA recording and one from a Dish provided local.

On my 211K, i just noticed that when your on channel, and you hit the info button 2 times to bring up the info, when u press for the second time, in the top left corner it actually tells you what satellite your viewing the channel off of. Not sure if this was there before this update as i just realized this now.

Last night on my 211 with external hard drive, I started having the freeze, lock up and reboot issue when watching two DVR'd programs , one show was from an OTA recording and one from a Dish provided local.
You aren't alone. Here in the SFBay Area both channels 5 CBS and 11 NBC can not be watched in delayed mode or from a recorded program from those channels without freezing and eventually rebooting. Happens on both of my 211s. No problem with 722.

I get a pixelate, freeze and then about a 30 second skip with my 211 and mostly CBS. This has always been there since I activated it a couple months ago.

S~

211 EHD Questions

Newbie here with a question about the 211 EHD capabilities.Does the addition of an EHD enable the same features on the 211 as the 622, ff, rr, pause, etc., with same menu options? Also, what would be the largest GB or TB EHD recomended for the 211. Any suggested brands that would work the best?
Thanks

I get a pixelate, freeze and then about a 30 second skip with my 211 and mostly CBS. This has always been there since I activated it a couple months ago.

S~

I also get the pixelation and skips on recorded shows, but it doesn't seem to matter which station. It occurs randomly on most of them.
But I do get the lockup and reboot on shows recorded off 2 different CBS stations, one is OTA and the other is from Dish.

When is Dish going to fix the L524 crappy bugs?

At least once a day the receiver becomes unresponsive, and then reboots.

Also, withing 20 seconds after I turn the receiver on I get the info screen for the current channel as if I had pushed the 'Info' button.

I would think it is a stuck button the remote except I have turned the receiver on and buried the receiver in pillows to block the signal.
Still I get the 'Info" display.

None of this happened until L524

When is Dish going to fix the L524 crappy bugs?

At least once a day the receiver becomes unresponsive, and then reboots.

Also, withing 20 seconds after I turn the receiver on I get the info screen for the current channel as if I had pushed the 'Info' button.

I would think it is a stuck button the remote except I have turned the receiver on and buried the receiver in pillows to block the signal.
Still I get the 'Info" display.

None of this happened until L524

yeah tv2 remotes have that annoying habit on 622's and 625's. you push channel up or down and it shows you 'info' instead.

On my 211K, i just noticed that when your on channel, and you hit the info button 2 times to bring up the info, when u press for the second time, in the top left corner it actually tells you what satellite your viewing the channel off of. Not sure if this was there before this update as i just realized this now.

The info on what satellite you are using predates the update.

I can also confirm the VIP 211 freeze and reboots are caused by local channels. I have had installer here. In 4 hours of troubleshooting he replaced the complete cabling, the dish and modulator on the roof and STB for brand new ones, After 4 hours we have disconnected OTA cable and the freezes and rebooting went away.

We have also figured out 100% successful way how to freeze the STB and that is switching to local (DFW) NBC affiliate by punching the channel code (005-1) rather than going through the guide. Once we switched this way to this channel, the STB froze and rebooted within a minute. If we just channel surfed to that channel, the freeze for intermitent.

Call that station and report they have corruption in their PSIP data, or lock the station out of your guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts