ViP 211 Nothing but problems!!! completely unstable!!!

ceeveeb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
So I purchased a ViP 211 from an authorized dealer and activated it a few days ago.

First impressions (day one): the HDTV quality is great and the new channels are nice

Day two: start watching some of the standard definition channels, all of the standard channels have real bad blocking and are breaking up, so try hard reset, try unplugging and plugging back in, check my reception etc. etc. Everything looks okay and HDTV looks perfect but standard definition is almost unwatchable.

So called Dish tech support and they run me through the usual routine. Their conclusion is that it must be the HDMI cable that I bought is bad. So they tell me to go get a component cable and that should fix it.

So I get a component cable and the problem is still there. I get ready to call Dish and then the picture goes completely black!! I can see headers and guide info and switch channels but no video!!

Talk to Dish and they say oops so we guess it isn't your HDMI cable. Then they say that "there are known issues with the ViP 211" (If they knew this couldn't they have told me the first time??) So we go through all the set-up again and finally get a picture back. But all the problems are still there and they say since I bought from a authorized dealer they will trade me my 211 for a new one they are sending. (I guess this was nice of them)

However now whenever the receiver is on for more than about 2 hours it will completely freeze up again :mad:

HERE IS THE KICKER: MY OLD 811 HAD NO PROBLEMS LIKE THIS IN MY SETUP

Does anyone else have these problems? Is the 211 a broken piece of equipment??? The rep told me they could not guarantee that I would not have the same problems with the new 211 they are sending

I am thinking about calling and saying they have to prorate my bill because it is unfair to ask me to pay for service that DOES NOT WORK! :devil: :devil: :devil:

I have the 411 and haven't had any hiccups unlike my 811 that would flicker and pewk all the time. I personally think its just something wrong with that particular receiver. Dish has gotten better about releasing good equipment.

I have the exact same problem with my 411 which is the same as the vip211. I've commented on it several times in other posts. I have to reset mine 6-10 times a day if not more since the day I got it about a week ago. Dish is finally sending me another in the mail and should get here on Monday. I'll keep you posted...

BrettTRay said:
I have the 411 and haven't had any hiccups unlike my 811 that would flicker and pewk all the time. I personally think its just something wrong with that particular receiver. Dish has gotten better about releasing good equipment.

Not in my case. My 811 worked perfectly. This 411 is a freakin nightmare. And of course tech support and other CSR's are cluless. Lets just hope I don't recieve another lemon in the mail...

211 probs

Have had the same issues. picture freezes on some of my hd channels.... the tech dept told me that in a couple of wks there will be a download to fix all problems and just to be patient........

hamiltonjm said:
Not in my case. My 811 worked perfectly. This 411 is a freakin nightmare. And of course tech support and other CSR's are cluless. Lets just hope I don't recieve another lemon in the mail...
Guess that's the luck of the draw!!! I have had my two Dish 411's for a couple of weeks and so far have been trouble free...well except for my 129 sat drop-outs.

I have done some more checking online and on this forum and it seems I am not the only one that got a broken 211.

Why can't Dish get it together and launch something that works?

I was willing to forgive them for launching the new channels with MPEG4 headers and even for HD-lite.

But why did they have to force beta test quality equipment on us??? :mad: :mad:

There was absolutley no reason for this!

There is NO mpeg4 yet so wouldn't it make sense take their time and at least get the new receivers to work?????????

I have two 211's and have had very few problems with them I have had the black screen two times but a reset takes care of it. One of them sometimes has problems scrolling through the EPG. It's surprisingly reliable for a new piece of equipment.

Mario

mperdue said:
I have two 211's and have had very few problems with them I have had the black screen two times but a reset takes care of it. One of them sometimes has problems scrolling through the EPG. It's surprisingly reliable for a new piece of equipment.

Mario

had mine about a week now and love it! other then losing two OTA stations (well not losing them yet, but close!) I think its rock solid! now come on dish launch cleveland locals so I wont have to mess with my OTA antenna!

211 Since Feb. 2nd no problems so far. Nor have any customers called complaining yet( well one did complaining of the PQ) it was the tv, tried another and all was well.

Sorry you are having problems.

my 211 will be here next week to replace the 811. Hope I don't have issues. The 811 was a nightmare when it first came out and now it works flawlessly. Just hope I don't go down that same road with the 211......having to wait patiently for software upgrades!

411/211 Disappointment

My 411/211 install 2 weeks ago had its issues like activation which took 3 calls and 5 hours later to get authorized, but what is worse now is the loss of video creating the dreaded black screen of death. I have to reboot from the front at least every other day to include pulling the power cord. I've noticed that the video loss comes while switching back from OTA viewing. Audio is never lost while this happens. Read in these forums where the DP-34 could be the culprit and switching out to the DP-44 would resolve this. Yesterday installer switched out to no avail and already had the loss of video once. Installer is willing to return and replace receiver if this does not correct problem. I don't think swapping will do the trick, I feel its a software problem which Dish is dragging there feet in providing a fix. In the mean time I've had to listen to the wrath of my better half when this loss of video happens and having to put up with this from Dish , and she is right. The good in all this is when the 411/211 is working the HD is good given the bitrates and SD is also an improvement from my 811. To be continued.................

hff, I think you may have hit upon something on the switch from OTA to Dish viewing. I have 2 vip 211's and have not had any problems with the black screen some of you have talked about. I also do not have any OTA antenna going into either of the units as well. So I think Dish needs to upgrade their firmware in the 211 on the switching of OTA to Dish viewing. Good luck, hoepfully Dish moves on sending out new firmware to the receivers.

mperdue said:

Mario

Suprisingly reliable? I pay alot of money to watch tv every month. It damn well better be 100% reliable for the money we all pay.. and FYI, the 411 isn't that new. I'm tired of $hi&* gear.

ceeveeb said:
Does anyone else have these problems? Is the 211 a broken piece of equipment???

It took a few hours to get my 211 to be sey up and the first week I had problems with the screen blacking out (always fixed by removing the power plug and then reinserting it). Since then, no problems at all (3 weeks) :) and I am enjoying the Boston LIL stations in HD from DISH on the 211. It is hooked up to a Samsung 26" LCD and is doing fine.

hamiltonjm said:
Suprisingly reliable? I pay alot of money to watch tv every month. It damn well better be 100% reliable for the money we all pay.. and FYI, the 411 isn't that new. I'm tired of $hi&* gear.

Why don't you just call Dish and have it replaced?

These are new pieces of equipment, and we are talking about Dish Network here, there will be alot of gliches and software upgrades that fix one glitch, but create new ones during the lifespan of the 211/411. But the receiver is NOT broken, just new and made by Echostar.(which explains a lot):D

David

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts