VIP 211 Problems

Hfivo

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Connecticut
I hve been using a VIP211 since its inception... worked fine except for known issue regarding sound... than it stopped receiving satellite 61.5... after checking E* agreed it was a receiver problem and sent a replacement.

Installed the replacement receiver VIP211 yesterday, and since then nothing but problems... sure, it now receives 61.5 but the unit constantly freezes... just showing the top banner and then the screen goes black. Unit has latest software update according to E*. When reset, unit works fine for about 2 to 3 minutes then freezes on screen and only sound comes in..... can no longer change channels, get menu guide.

E* claims it is a software issue and refuses to change receiver until they repair software... no idea how long that will take, could be as long as sever weeks. THIS IS CUSTOMER SERVICE???? Anyone with similar problems?

Hfivo said:
I hve been using a VIP211 since its inception... worked fine except for known issue regarding sound... than it stopped receiving satellite 61.5... after checking E* agreed it was a receiver problem and sent a replacement.

Installed the replacement receiver VIP211 yesterday, and since then nothing but problems... sure, it now receives 61.5 but the unit constantly freezes... just showing the top banner and then the screen goes black. Unit has latest software update according to E*. When reset, unit works fine for about 2 to 3 minutes then freezes on screen and only sound comes in..... can no longer change channels, get menu guide.

E* claims it is a software issue and refuses to change receiver until they repair software... no idea how long that will take, could be as long as sever weeks. THIS IS CUSTOMER SERVICE???? Anyone with similar problems?

211 does freeze when it gets an error. Audio only. When you change channels (as would fix the older 6000 for example) the screen goes dark except the banner. Audio still works. You need a reboot.

Sounds like you are getting a number of errors (and yes it should be better behaved than this with the errors).

This happened all the time prior to last update several weeks ago. I have noticed any posts on it since.

I cannot vouch that the last update fixed it (they havent fixed the 6000 in god knows how many years) but makes sure you have that installed in the new unit. My guess is it has not updated yet.

They have not fixed the problem as yet... still working off software level 266. They state they have no idea when it will be fixed..... doesn't speak very highly for Dishnetwork.

Their intention is to leave me out in the cold until they fix the software glitch sometime in the next several weeks. Meanwhile the charges go on, and no tv reception.......

Hfivo said:
...Meanwhile the charges go on, and no tv reception.......
You might not get any satisfaction re: another replacement, but you do have a valid complaint about the unit being unusable while you're paying for it. You should call and voice that concern. E* should at least give you some credit on your programming bill. Good luck with it and BRgds...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts